• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

55 minutes ago, BostonVelociraptor said:

They have a tendency to jam in the rack supports. Some people have found other half sheet pan wire grids that slide more smoothly while not being so small that they come out of the rack supports when there's something heavy on the rack and the oven temperature is high.

Happens to me exactly - racks when hot will not slide out - I could probably move the whole oven before they move - I'm debating a light application of some fine sandpaper, but still at the debating stage.

p

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

Has there been any consensus as to whether the Anova Oven can replace a toaster?  I am on the fence about ordering one but I do want to be able to toast in it.

I like APO toast but I've never tried toasting sandwich bread.  Also worked for English muffins.

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Has anyone had issues with the water tank cracking? It’s been discussed a fair amount over at the r/CombiSteamOvenCooking subreddit, but I think I only caught one comment about it in this thread. I really want an APO, but am on the fence about it because of that issue.

Edited by blbskue (log)

28 minutes ago, blbskue said:

Has anyone had issues with the water tank cracking? It’s been discussed a fair amount over at the r/CombiSteamOvenCooking subreddit, but I think I only caught one comment about it in this thread. I really want an APO, but am on the fence about it because of that issue.

So far so good for me.

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

So far so good for me.

Good to hear. Apparently about 1 in 4 tanks are cracking, although not all of them that crack end up leaking. An Anova rep posted that they’re working on a redesigned tank but at least through batch 8 they’re still shipping the old/original tank.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blbskue said:

Apparently about 1 in 4 tanks are cracking

I feel that's an over-estimation. I don't know how many APO users are in these forums but probably at least a dozen, that would equate to 3 cracked tanks. We  aren't shy about raising an issue. It is happening I'm sure, but not to that extent. I would recommend you get off the fence, order one and enjoy its benefits.

p

• Like 1

9 hours ago, palo said:

I feel that's an over-estimation. I don't know how many APO users are in these forums but probably at least a dozen, that would equate to 3 cracked tanks. We  aren't shy about raising an issue. It is happening I'm sure, but not to that extent. I would recommend you get off the fence, order one and enjoy its benefits.

p

Hopefully you’re right! That’s why I wanted to gauge the situation here. It definitely seems like a more pervasive problem if you go by the comments on Reddit and the Anova community forum. 

BTW, the 1 in 4 stat comes from a Facebook poll referenced by the mod at r/CombiSteamOvenCooking.

I had a cracked tank, haha. 👋

Overall my assessment of the APO is that there are a ton of little annoyances & defects (like the warping pans, flickering lights, cracked tanks, spotty Wi-Fi pairing, clunky app) but if you're willing to live with those, it gives you unprecedented precision and control in your baking. I personally love mine and use it for almost everything.

(It won't make a quick, hard toast like a traditional toaster oven, but the toast it makes is pretty nice. It has replaced our toaster, but I could see someone wanting both.)

• Thanks 1

My Anova was discovered by a nice FedEx guy and has been delivered.

It rocks diagonally, 2 feet don't match the other 2.

Advice?

Edited to add:

I attached the dripper tray and it seems more stable. 🙄

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My Anova was discovered by a nice FedEx guy and has been delivered.

It rocks diagonally, 2 feet don't match the other 2.

Advice?

Edited to add:

I attached the dripper tray and it seems more stable. 🙄

Is there a piece of a foot somewhere in the box?

2Im waiting for

Version 4 or 8

I dnotny need into 

so i can wait

Anova ' before '

is not Anova now.

too many Burnt Buns in Bora Bora.

free shipping for Some ?

cracked tanks ?

put some steroid ointment 

on those Burnt Cracked buns from

Bora Bora

and join your precious ranks 

as an outstanding  company.

in short said, yes.

most any video file can be played/viewed on any device.

find the video

look for the download link - for some, right click, menu, download

download to your preferred location.

navigate to that location

double click to launch video

if it's some strange format, you'll have to download/install a video player for that weird format.

Thanks @AlaMoi, but I don't know where on the internet to locate the video files which have shown up on my smartphone Anova Precision Oven app. They don't seem to be here: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

@JoNorvelleWalker, putting on the drip tray helped the rocking. Possibly putting water in the water tray will weigh that side down more. I'll let you know. Thanks.

ah yes...  yea olde Microsoft interface "to turn off, press the Start button...."

looked (partially) at the link.  while any of the videos are playing, right click - "copy video URL"

paste to Notepad and or other to bookmark or . . .

far too many options to describe/detail in the blind.

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Thanks 1

Last night I made the "Perfect Potatoes with Horseradish and Chive Sour Cream" from the APO recipe collection. Turned out well with a couple of provisos:

1.  The step #11/12 "Brown potatoes" suggests 20 min @ 425F Rear and Top heat, that was much too long, took them out @ 10 min as they were beginning to burn.

2. Didn't have the sour cream/chives/horseradish dressing so I used Ranch dressing - a good substitute.

3. The recipe calls for the elusive "perforated pan" - did you know the air fryer basket from the BSOA is a perfect stand-in - right size and did the job admirably.

The BSOA air fryer (dehydrating) basket is available separately from Amazon in a set of three.

https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BOV900AMB-Dehydrating-Baskets-BOV900/dp/B06ZYK6SNQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11YIP2EITSD33&dchild=1&keywords=breville&qid=1611488228&rnid=5264023011&s=kitchen&sprefix=brevi%2Caps%2C190&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-Mesh-Baskets-Smart-Oven/dp/B06ZYK6SNQ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=4NOP116TKS1N&dchild=1&keywords=breville+toaster+oven&qid=1611488316&sprefix=breville%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-9

I purchased these Dec 18 2018 for $60 CDN - they are now $125CDN and they all require import duties!!!

In the US they are $85 US - much more reasonable, but still expensive - maybe 3 friends can go together and split them.

Best deal is if you already have a BSOA, problem solved.

p

2 hours ago, palo said:

The BSOA air fryer (dehydrating) basket is available separately from Amazon in a set of three.

p

So the interior of Anova is the same as BSOA or did you set the BSOA tray on a rack?

4 hours ago, palo said:

Last night I made the "Perfect Potatoes with Horseradish and Chive Sour Cream" from the APO recipe collection. Turned out well with a couple of provisos:

1.  The step #11/12 "Brown potatoes" suggests 20 min @ 425F Rear and Top heat, that was much too long, took them out @ 10 min as they were beginning to burn.

2. Didn't have the sour cream/chives/horseradish dressing so I used Ranch dressing - a good substitute.

3. The recipe calls for the elusive "perforated pan" - did you know the air fryer basket from the BSOA is a perfect stand-in - right size and did the job admirably.

https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BOV900AMB-Dehydrating-Baskets-BOV900/dp/B06ZYK6SNQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11YIP2EITSD33&dchild=1&keywords=breville&qid=1611488228&rnid=5264023011&s=kitchen&sprefix=brevi%2Caps%2C190&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-Mesh-Baskets-Smart-Oven/dp/B06ZYK6SNQ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=4NOP116TKS1N&dchild=1&keywords=breville+toaster+oven&qid=1611488316&sprefix=breville%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-9

I purchased these Dec 18 2018 for $60 CDN - they are now $125CDN and they all require import duties!!!

In the US they are $85 US - much more reasonable, but still expensive - maybe 3 friends can go together and split them.

p

Williams Somona canada has them cheaper and even better in the US

@gfweb "So the interior of Anova is the same as BSOA or did you set the BSOA tray on a rack?"

No, unfortunately it's about 1/2 inch too narrow to fit in the APO's grooves so it sat on a rack with a pan on another rack below to catch drips (there weren't any).

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Like 1