• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

oh, parchment I got - indeed.

there are multiple 'methods' in history used for a 'contained' rising.  alot depends on how stick be thy dough . . .

I got a Baparoma thing as it has a perforated tray above a 'water well'  - having steamed loaves, I was hopeful but it never lived up to expectations.

• Like 1

Yesterday I made my usual Sunday stuffed buns.

As usual, I had enough dough left over for a small loaf of bread for dinner this week.

Beefempanadas.thumb.jpg.1fab76a2ab1c4275696d1cdedd32e843.jpg

I just put in a ground beef filling with mushrooms, celery and a thick rich beef gravy.

Beeffilling.thumb.jpg.566d12677560ec29d71220906733e3ee.jpg

They turned out pretty good if I do have to say so myself.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

I made crumpets for the first time.  Not as difficult as I had thought.  I had hoped to consult the Modernist Bread crumpet recipe, but digging out the book would have required more energy than I have.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I made crumpets for the first time.

I would love to see a picture. I haven't made in crumpets in ages and now you have me wanting crumpets.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread05202024.jpg

This weekend's Forkish loaf.  Normally I would bake a boule in the Anova on a baking steel with steam.  However I am blessed (or cursed) with the gift of hundreds of Amazon kitchen toys and gadgets in exchange for my evaluation and review.  It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

I baked this loaf in an enameled cast iron bread oven that I can recommend:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The problem is I am old, and screaming hot cast iron is heavy.  In this case 12 pounds.  No, thankfully I did not burn myself, or this post would have been posted in a different thread.  The results were tasty, but more gymnastics were required than had I simply baked in the Anova.

The bread looks fantastic. I'm in the same boat as you in re lifting heaving cast iron pots, especially those full of some delicious braise or chili or... I love my enamaled cast iron but unless there is a husband or a kid to help me lift it out of the oven, sadly I have avoided using them lately. My husband jokes that I need an engine hoist for the kitchen.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I would love to see a picture. I haven't made in crumpets in ages and now you have me wanting crumpets.

Sorry, no picture.  I ate the two most photogenic ones and I don't have the energy for photography.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I can't note what @JoNorvelleWalker did, but here's a topic on making crumpets. Mmm...maybe time for me to revisit the issue!

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I can't note what @JoNorvelleWalker did, but here's a topic on making crumpets. Mmm...maybe time for me to revisit the issue!

Thank you @Smithy!  The recipe I used was from Warburtons by way of Nagi of recipetineats.  I simplified by just throwing all ingredients in the Blendtec and pressing the batter button.

I have Nagi's cookbook home from work and I must say her recipes, what few I've tried, work well.  Her mother has a Japanese food site that is a joy to peruse, although I've not tried cooking from it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Mmm...maybe time for me to revisit the issue!

The best crumpets that I ever made were made from my sourdough discard. It was a recipe from KA. It was just a cup of discard to which you added baking soda and sugar. The crumpets were wonderful but I no longer make sourdough starter to where I have discard. I do miss those crumpets.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The best crumpets that I ever made were made from my sourdough discard. It was a recipe from KA. It was just a cup of discard to which you added baking soda and sugar. The crumpets were wonderful but I no longer make sourdough starter to where I have discard. I do miss those crumpets.

I need to look for that recipe--I've always got discard to use! EDIT: Found the recipe!

Edited by Maison Rustique
Add info (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

4 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I need to look for that recipe

This is a recipe I found for crumpets that I have been wanting to try. Maybe I'll give it a go today and let you know. Her pictures look great and the directions give a lot of good advice.

• Like 1

Chiming in to say that I also make those KA crumpets, just so darned easy ! Found the recipe to be reliable, I’ve probably made them a dozen times. In fact, anticipating making them later this week if I have enough starter.

• Like 2

Yesterday’s bake - a brown butter caramelized honey sourdough loaf with toasted rolled oats. I toasted the oats on a lined sheet pan at 400F, cooked them in water until tender and all the water was absorbed, browned the butter and allowed it to cool, caramelized the honey, then mixed everything together into a porridge and allowed it to cool. I added this to the initial mix after autolyse. Delicious, moist crumb and lovely crust. Will make this again!

Recipe

For Porridge:

- 87g rolled oats

- 263g water

- 75g brown butter

- 40g caramelized honey

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

For Dough:

- 400g bread flour

- 100g whole wheat

- 389g water

- 10g salt

- 50g starter

- 168g of porridge (there will be extra - it's delicious in a bowl with a splash milk or heavy cream 😋)

IMG_8072.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT
Added recipe and photos (log)
  • Like 5

SourdoughColdFermentation4daysJune8thbakedJune13th20242.thumb.jpg.5365290589303c4f6708a056e338e47a.jpg
Today's bake.

This dough was started with a sourdough biga on Saturday night, June 8th
and went into the fridge immediately after the last stretch and fold for a long cold fermentation.

SourdoughColdFermentationfor4days8thuntil12th.thumb.jpg.b29a13f72aaf333d29b02e19a0072b3f.jpg

Dough had more than doubled in the fridge over four days.

SourdoughColdFermentationfor4days8thuntil12th8pmJune13th4AM.thumb.jpg.a75ea85a579ae5a40e07105d82878156.jpg

And more than doubled again on the counter from 8:00 PM last night until 4:00 AM this morning.

Gave Matt 525g of dough for a pizza and baked three loaves.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 3

On 6/9/2024 at 11:10 AM, OlyveOyl said:

@AlaMoi  Good luck, wishing you success!

well, here's the first attempt - classic no-knead proportions, baked in the Baparoma with steam....

good bread, nothing close to a baguette tho . . .

next up AP and cold proof . . .

IMG_3417.thumb.JPG.28668d7c325980ab48d4e2ed4035510d.JPG

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 6

Two bakes in one day. Had Matt pull this dough out of the fridge at 10AM

and it was ready to use by the time I got home from work after 5:00.

This dough had been in the fridge since the night of the 8th, and taken out morning of the 13th.
image.thumb.png.ec9a50ecc4f66298c4e234f909c7e9a7.png
Baked a number of different sizes.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Hello Everyone ... I apologize and would like to ask something that I guess has been asked a lot in the forum before.

I am just starting to make my own bread and I want to make everyday sourdough breads with big holes and thick crusts. I have two books ... one is "The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition" and the second one is "Artisan Sourdough" by Emilie Raffa ... I took a quick look at the sourdough preparation sections in both books ... there are different explanations and ingredients in preparation of sourdough.

Which book would you advise me to follow?

Edited by Altay.Oro (log)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Altay.Oro said:

Hello Everyone ... I apologize and would like to ask something that I guess has been asked a lot in the forum before.

I am just starting to make my own bread and I want to make everyday sourdough breads with big holes and thick crusts. I have two books ... one is "The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition" and the second one is "Artisan Sourdough" by Emilie Raffa ... I took a quick look at the sourdough preparation sections in both books ... there are different explanations and ingredients in preparation of sourdough.

Which book would you advise me to follow?

You can’t go wrong with either of those books. If you’re interested in another, check out The Perfect Loaf, by Maurizio Leo. It’s a James Beard Award winner and is a spectacular sourdough cookbook. Amazing recipes, as well as a very clear, meticulous approach to everything. His website is also a wealth of information. If you subscribe to it, you get access to additional recipes, as well as an invite to join Maurizio’s Discord channel for free - where fellow subscribers post their bakes, ask questions, etc. Maurizio himself is very active and you have direct access to him for anything you might want to know. Highly recommended!

• Like 2