• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

9 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

You can’t go wrong with either of those books. If you’re interested in another, check out The Perfect Loaf, by Maurizio Leo. It’s a James Beard Award winner and is a spectacular sourdough cookbook. Amazing recipes, as well as a very clear, meticulous approach to everything. His website is also a wealth of information. If you subscribe to it, you get access to additional recipes, as well as an invite to join Maurizio’s Discord channel for free - where fellow subscribers post their bakes, ask questions, etc. Maurizio himself is very active and you have direct access to him for anything you might want to know. Highly recommended!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Another resource you might enjoy: The Sourdough Journey (Tom Cucuzza) on YouTube. Tom is a very science-based, educational and entertaining guy. Check him out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatrickT said:

Another resource you might enjoy: The Sourdough Journey (Tom Cucuzza) on YouTube. Tom is a very science-based, educational and entertaining guy. Check him out.

Thanks 👍... looks like it will really help me,

I was planning to handle it with a single source/book ...

Now seems that I'll have to spend more time on baking my own loafs than I expected, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

Hello Everyone ... I apologize and would like to ask something that I guess has been asked a lot in the forum before.

I am just starting to make my own bread and I want to make everyday sourdough breads with big holes and thick crusts. I have two books ... one is "The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition" and the second one is "Artisan Sourdough" by Emilie Raffa ... I took a quick look at the sourdough preparation sections in both books ... there are different explanations and ingredients in preparation of sourdough.

Which book would you advise me to follow?

Have you already "grown" your sourdough "mother"?  Or are you starting from scratch?

11 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Have you already "grown" your sourdough "mother"?  Or are you starting from scratch?

I'm starting from scratch ... those two books have different methods and ingredients for starter as far as I can see in a quick look, not fully read though.

First book mentions pineapple or orange juice at the very first stage of making a starter ... other uses only water.

Which differences can it make in the final product?

Edited by Altay.Oro (log)

3 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

I'm starting from scratch ... those two books have different methods and ingredients for starter as far as I can see in a quick look, not fully read though.

First book mentions pineapple or orange juice at the very first stage of making a starter ... other uses only water.

Which differences can it make in the final product?

I'm a purist so I avoided recipes that called for fruit juices or grapes, etc..  The best starters are started with just organic rye and water.   Once you have an active starter they are easy to maintain.

The starter that I use  is over 5 years old,  and was started using the recipe from Amy's Bread  Cookbook.  Amy' Bread is a bakery in NY City 

owned by Amy Scherber.   

If you follow the directions exactly, you can be baking sourdough bread within the week.  

AMY'S BREAD SOURDOUGH INSTRUCTIONS

SOURDOUGH PICTORIAL 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I'm a purist so I avoided recipes that called for fruit juices or grapes, etc..  The best starters are started with just organic rye and water.   Once you have an active starter they are easy to maintain.

The starter that I use  is over 5 years old,  and was started using the recipe from Amy's Bread  Cookbook.  Amy' Bread is a bakery in NY City 

owned by Amy Scherber.   

If you follow the directions exactly, you can be baking sourdough bread within the week.  

AMY'S BREAD SOURDOUGH INSTRUCTIONS

SOURDOUGH PICTORIAL 

Thank you so much ...

I think I will start with this.

• Like 2

It has been awhile since I've baked sourdough bread. This one just came out of the oven and it is singing to me. 🙂

20240617_090258.thumb.jpg.6bf8da42a6ea5b05a0ee7d7d7af005ea.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

In my sourdough starter process ... I've completed 72 hours and had my first feeding today,

There was water separation on the second day ...

I stirred and continued.

Besides Amy's guide ... I am also following this pdf page from "Sourdough Journey",

https://thesourdoughjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/TSJ-Complete-Guide-How-to-Create-a-Sourdough-Starter.pdf

It is really a very detailed and complete guide for making sourdough starter ...

I advise it to anyone who is thinking of starting from scratch like me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's bake.
Sourdough, started with a biga. Four days in the fridge for a long cold fermentation.

Dough taken out of the fridge last night and left on the counter from 8:30 until 4:30 this morning.
SourdoughBake4daycoldfermentationJune21stbake1.thumb.jpg.da670174ddd42f226b277f3034142be3.jpg
Four smaller baguettes baked in the Cuisinart Steam oven and two longer baguettes cooked in the conventional oven under a roast pan. And two little baby buns.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

A question for you bread bakers: 

For cocktail hour in Decatur GA my daughter needed a quick carb fix and ordered a Hawaiian Roll which was actually listed in the starters. It came as a very tall slightly squarish chunk of soft fluffy brioche-like bread with a shiny brown top embedded with large salt crystals. It was buttery on the bottom, sweet and salty and utterly delicious. At another restaurant the same thing was simply served as a bread course, also with crunchy salt on the glaze. Also delicious. Then at a funky cafe they sold sweet rolls about the shape of a Mexican sandwich roll, glazed all over that had a similar taste, plus the salt and with a buttery crisp bottom. What are these? Just Hawaiian rolls topped with salt? And why was it so common around Decatur?

I've looked for supermarket Hawaiian rolls, sold in trays of a dozen, similarly lofty and glazed but without any salt crystals. No recipes on line seem to have salt crystals on top. Anyway I'm craving the sweet/salty/buttery things. So maybe my husband, currently on a brioche learning curve, can duplicate the rolls we had in GA.

20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've looked for supermarket Hawaiian rolls, sold in trays of a dozen, similarly lofty and glazed but without any salt crystals. No recipes on line seem to have salt crystals on top. Anyway I'm craving the sweet/salty/buttery things. So maybe my husband, currently on a brioche learning curve, can duplicate the rolls we had in GA.

This recipe has salt on top

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This recipe has salt on top

I used to buy the Hawaiian bread in the big loaves in Seattle. I loved it and since I've been here I've tried several recipes. I can get the taste but I just can't get that fluff. Maybe it's the flour that I'm using but unfortunately I haven't much choice. I've never seen it with the salt on top but I will give this recipe a try. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I used to buy the Hawaiian bread in the big loaves in Seattle. I loved it and since I've been here I've tried several recipes. I can get the taste but I just can't get that fluff. Maybe it's the flour that I'm using but unfortunately I haven't much choice. I've never seen it with the salt on top but I will give this recipe a try. Thank you.

I've never seen them with salt on top either but the recipe popped up when I searched.  It seems pretty easy and they're kind of handy to have on hand for mini sandwiches so I may give them a try, too.  I noticed that one comment said that she'd used her stand mixer instead of kneading by hand and the author replied that he often did that as well so I'll likely do the same. 

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

SourdoughSixDayFermentationbakedJune23rd20243.thumb.jpg.ab3b1f8a9e6b75d13353c9e0ead12b63.jpg

Today's bake was a six day fermentation dough.

Taken out of the fridge last night and left on the counter until 4:30 AM.

Baked six smaller baguettes and four mini boules.

Probably my dream bread )

Ann ... what do you mean with six days fermentation ... does it refer to the bulk fermentation time?

Decided to do something a little different today. I'm a little bit tired of my Sunday buns. So today I made individual pizzas. They are a great thing to send in Carlos's lunch and anything left over I put in Ziploc bags and store in the freezer. When I want pizza for lunch all I have to do is pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds and into the air fryer for 3 minutes and I have fresh hot pizza. The topping is salami, and pepperoni, with parmesan, gorgonzola, and mozzarella cheese.

They look kind of messy but I guarantee you they are a tasty mess.

20240623_110308.thumb.jpg.8e1743648ae2eb89bb7e1a663fc0f727.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Altay.Oro said:

Ann ... what do you mean with six days fermentation ... does it refer to the bulk fermentation time?

Yes, that is what I'm referring too.  I usually have a  couple of batches in the fridge and I'll bake them anywhere from 

a 24 hour bulk fermentation to over 6 days.   Typically though I'm within 1 to 4 days.    

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Decided to do something a little different today. I'm a little bit tired of my Sunday buns. So today I made individual pizzas. They are a great thing to send in Carlos's lunch and anything left over I put in Ziploc bags and store in the freezer. When I want pizza for lunch all I have to do is pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds and into the air fryer for 3 minutes and I have fresh hot pizza. The topping is salami, and pepperoni, with parmesan, gorgonzola, and mozzarella cheese.

They look kind of messy but I guarantee you they are a tasty mess.

20240623_110308.thumb.jpg.8e1743648ae2eb89bb7e1a663fc0f727.jpg

Great idea.   Maybe I should do that for Moe on the days I'm working. 

• Thanks 1