• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection oven vs. Air Fryer

mgaretz

Since an Air Fryer is basically a mini convection oven (possibly with higher velocity air), I am wondering if there is a significant difference in the results of getting that close to deep-fried effect in one vs. the other?

Basically I want to make crispy fried chicken and fries without deep frying or even pan frying.  That is, of course, the promise of the Air Fryers.  I was debating getting one, but I also own a Breville Smart Oven.  Why buy something else when the BSO can accomplish the same task.  Maybe a bit slower, but it can also handle significantly more food at once.

I have asked at several different WS and SLT locations and those employees that actually sound like they have cooked and used the BSO or the Air Fryer seem to mostly agree that you can get the same results with either.

But asking here seemed like a good option, so any thoughts?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I use both my BSO and my regular ovens that have convection to "dry fry" all the time. We prefer this technique to deep frying. 

For example to make eggplant Parmesan, rather than dipping the eggplant slices in beaten egg, breadcrumbs and then frying in oil,  we brush the slices with egg wash or mayonnaise,  dip in bread crumbs (both sides), and spritz with pure olive oil spray.  

Then onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet, into a 475F oven, (convection on), using the uppermost rack for 5-10 min (depending on the size of the eggplant slices, we like ours rather thick &  use Sicilian eggplant for this purpose).  At that point, flip the slices over, spritz with a little more olive oil and another 5-10 min until that side is  also golden brown and crispy. 

Using this technique you actually taste the flavor of the eggplant and not just the oil which is how most typical American red sauce joints make their eggplant -  the eggplant absorbs so much of the frying oil, that's all you can taste. No thanks.  

For potatoes, either regular baking potatoes or sweet potatoes, (or even parsnip or carrot chips or zucchini logs or what-have-you), I typically just toss them with a bit of cornstarch or rice flour mixed with salt and pepper after rinsing and shaking most of the water off &  then place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet that has been spritzed with olive oil. Spritz the vegetables themselves as well and cook in the manner described above.

As far as chicken is concerned, in my opinion you will obtain the best results by rubbing the chicken pieces with well seasoned mayonnaise and patting with a mixture of cracker crumbs and crushed Corn Flakes. The crackers and the Corn Flakes combo make a nice crunch on the exterior,   which you can season as desired. Simply place on a cooling rack that has been placed on a cookie sheet and spritz the exterior of the chicken pieces with olive oil or your preferred oil for cooking. Using convection, cook at 475F just until the exterior is golden brown, then turn the heat down to 275F and continue to cook until the poultry registers 155F internally.   Allow the chicken to rest a few minutes to redistribute the interior juices. If there are any leftovers, store in a paper box lined with wax paper to maintain that hard-earned crunch! 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix Typo (log)
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Checking back into this thread after a long absence from it and a bit of experimentation with the BSO as an air fryer.  Thanks @kbjesq for the suggestions, I had totally forgotten that I did pretty much what you suggest, dipping chicken tenders in seasoned mayo and then panko years earlier when my daughter lived with us and wasn't gluten-intolerant.

I was never completely happy with the results, so I just got a Philips Airfryer and have revived the AirFryer thread: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143952-the-air-fryer-topic/  I have only made fries so far, but they were much better than what I ever made in the BSO.  Head over there to continue the discussion...

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 7 years later...

I am looking at modern air fryers and I am trying to figure out what all the buzz is about.  Is it all just marketing?  How does something like this compare to one of the better convection ovens?

Ninja Speedi Rapid Cooker & Air Fryer, 6-qt Capacity, 14-in-1 Functionality

• One-touch, one-pot meals in 15 minutes

• Create a meal for up to 4 with 6-qt capacity

• 14-in-1 functionality with Speedi Meals, Bake, Air Fry and more

• Rapid Cooking System delivers restaurant-worthy results

• SmartSwitch™ allows you to easily switch between 2 modes

TIA,

Sid

Basically it's efficiency - want to cook a whole large turkey, then a full-size oven is the right choice, if you're cooking for one to three people than an air fryer is the better choice

An air fryer is a compact convection oven, that requires little time to preheat and cooks rapidly due to its small size

Suggest (if you're in the market) - stay away from the "oven" style as they have cooking probems (heat circulation) and cleanup is a pain - google some air fryer recipes you would use and see how they stack up against your full-size oven

Instant brand has received good marks

p

• Like 1

I got rid of my air fryer. I use the function on my oven or the one on my toaster oven. Much easier. I found the air fryer appliance difficult to clean and couldn't conveniently fit whatever it was I wanted into it.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Ed and I love French Fries which is the main reason we bought one.   The fry trucks in my area...East Central Ontario...leave at Canadian Thanksgiving - October - and don't open again until May 24th weekend, Queen Victoria's birthday (it's a Canadian thing).  We have a wonderful one just outside our local library branch.  

So on occasion, Ed will stop and buy a big order of fries at a restaurant and bring them home for lunch.  Putting them in the microwave, as we all know, is the kiss of death.  So next time, they go into the air fryer.  And yes, I've now used it once in about 8 months.  Our son came last summer and used it a lot but neglected to show me how and I'm very slow about working new items into my repertoire. 

Otherwise I have no idea what I would use one for.  My oven and my wonderful, but now dying, Breville toaster oven do all the rest.   

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Sid Post said:

Is it all just marketing?  How does something like this compare to one of the better convection ovens?

Most of it is marketing--the latest thing.

The answer will depend on what you mean by "better" convection ovens.  Fan speed and air exchange rates for dedicated air fryers are typically better/higher than for most home convection ovens.

The air fryers also tend to have pre-programmed settings, so if you want to, e.g., re-crisp fries or pizza slices, there may be one button to press.  Not so on any conventional oven AFAIK.

I have one of the Breville toaster ovens with air fry mode, and while I like using that, it's not all that quick or powerful at air-frying vs. convection mode.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

I have one of the Breville toaster ovens with air fry mode, and while I like using that, it's not all that quick or powerful at air-frying vs. convection mode.  

The problem with the Breville (I have one too) is that it is too big - an air fryer's advantage is its small capacity - the Breville has many strong points but air frying isn't one of them

p

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, palo said:

The problem with the Breville (I have one too) is that it is too big

Well, if it were smaller enough to be better at, e.g., toast or air-frying, it wouldn't accept a 14" pizza or a 9x13 pan.  "A jack of all trades is master at none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." 

I think the problem with the Breville for air frying is the size is too large for its 110/120VAC limits.  If it had the fans and elements of a 220/240 conventional oven, it would air-fry just fine (and probably burn down entire neighborhoods).

I too have the Breville oven with air fry and I find that if I use a higher temperature than what is called for, then it air fries much better. For example, if the package or recipe calls for 390f I will use 425f. 

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

29 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I too have the Breville oven with air fry and I find that if I use a higher temperature than what is called for, then it air fries much better. For example, if the package or recipe calls for 390f I will use 425f. 

I don't have a Breville but I do the same thing with convection in my CSO and I use a pizza screen  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) instead of a baking sheet to improve air circulation and make turning or flipping unnecessary.  The small size of the CSO is a benefit here because it only needs a few min to pre-heat.  I have struggled to understand how much better a dedicated air fryer would be for the sorts of things that I cook regularly.

• Like 2

An air fryer uses less energy than an oven, because the spaces in it are far smaller. Also, if you roast something that makes a mess, such as chicken, which coats the inside of the oven with fat droplets, cleanup is much easier in an air fryer. When I roast chicken in my oven, it means about 2 hours of clean-up each time, because its not self-cleaning (this may not be important to everyone, but I live in a flat that, if I move, I have to hand over in its original, pristine condition, including the appliances). The small, mostly non-stick interior of the air fryer drawer is a cinch to clean.

• Like 3

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

OK.  It seems like my Breville, 800XL I think that's the model, Convection Oven works well for pizzas and things like a big frozen lasagna.  It will roast chicken or a nice beef roast really well too.

The small air fryer it seems excels at smaller quantities of things like French Fries and things like Chicken Nuggets or breaded frozen things in general.

In terms of big home oven clean up and energy savings, a tangible benefit for many in high energy cost areas or, with older hard to clean ovens.  I will also note I use my Breville Convection Oven because it heats fast and often, I only have something small to cook like a fish fillet.

• Like 1

I use my Breville air fryer.  It isn't magic but its good for tater tots and mozzarella sticks.  Making french fries from raw potatoes is flawed, I still oil fry them, but you can make a passable version in the BSO.

Air fryers make the absolute best grilled cheese sandwiches.  I have had 2 BSOAs and for me, I never found the air fryer function worked well as an air fryer.

For me the major feature of my Phillips Airfryer is the easy clean up.  After a quick wipe with a paper towel into the dishwasher it goes.  No oil splatter on the stove.  I usually wipe down the interior but it isn’t very greasy.  I use it for everything:  chicken legs, hamburgers, rack of lamb, pork belly, etc.  it does a fantastic job so quickly.  There are only two of us so it is big enough.  The major limitation is the size.  Cooking for more than two would be a challenge.  I suppose one could cook in batches as it is so quick.   But you could still use it to make components of a meal like frying meatballs for a sauce, browning meat for a stew, etc.  One could deglaze the drip tray if you are worried about loosing that.

i bought a cheap one to test out whether I wanted one.  After a year the electrical parts broke so I bought a good quality Phillips.

• Like 1