• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dong Art

liuzhou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Of course you can ask! Will I answer?

That depicts a very typical Dong village. There is usually a square with a communal meeting room. Most, if not all festivals (and they seem to have one every other week) are celebrated by huge communal meals in the village square. I think that is what we are seeing here. People are preparing for the meal or arriving to partake. I've been to a few of those m,eals, so it all looks pretty familiar.

Also it is snowing. The Dong area is north of here and although snow is unusual, in bad winters those villages are snowed in. But the festival goes on. By the way, there is no heating in any of the houses!

Thank you. Snow.  Of course.   Next time I will finish my first coffee before visiting art galleries.   I just love these wonderful depictions of every day life executed with such enthusiasm.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. Snow.  Of course.   Next time I will finish my first coffee before visiting art galleries.   I just love these wonderful depictions of every day life executed with such enthusiasm.

Anna, those could be flakes of salt.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna, those could be flakes of salt.

Thank you but you are much too late. I have already lashed myself to pulp for my stupidity.  And salt is such a dirty word today.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was told that these are watercolours, but I'm not so sure. The colours are very vivid for watercolour, I think.

It is possible to get very vivid colors from watercolor. Of course it's more expensive because you are using more color and less water. The light that seems to be reflecting off at least your first photo cannot be achieved with watercolor, in my experience. There seems to be faceted light reflection on the first photo, mostly on the tile roof depicted.

20170102_115440.jpg

When you lay down more color, the result can be quite concentrated, but with a matte surface. Were the paintings covered with reflective glass?

Maybe the artist concentrated an effort to depict reflected light on their tile roof. If so, very good job, if it is indeed watercolor.

Otherwise, the series of photos could be watercolor I think.

> ^ . . ^ <

2 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The light that seems to be reflecting off at least your first photo cannot be achieved with watercolor, in my experience. There seems to be faceted light reflection on the first photo, mostly on the tile roof depicted.

The light you see is indeed reflections of the museum lighting. I've mentioned before they aren't good at lighting their exhibits - in fact, I omitted pictures of a couple of my favourites because the lighting made them almost impossible to photograph.

They are not covered with glass, which is why I'm surprised by the reflections. I'm not sure at all what the light is reflecting off.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 years later...