• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken breasts

Norm Matthews

There is a recipe that my family really likes and I have made it often. It's Breast of Chicken, Martini-Style from chef Pino Luongo and it has you pound out the breasts until they are thin.  Lately I usually butterfly the breasts instead.  I am wondering if there is any culinary reason why the breasts should be pounded out instead of just cut thin?  Chicken breasts don't need tenderizing and they are just as thin when butterflied as they are when pounding plus it's faster and doesn't wake anyone up. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I always butterfly chicken breasts for the reasons you mention. I guess it might be easier to get even thickness by pounding or to avoid cutting a hole in the breast by accident, but once you learn how to do it, it's pretty easy to stay consistent.

Butterflied breasts do better on the grill, too, in my opinion. Just when they've taken on good grill marks on both sides, they're cooked to a proper internal temperature. And no later.

You pound them to create uniformity. Otherwise it is difficult to get the breasts done correctly(= evenly done).

Same reason people spatchock chix.

If you are butterflying them the result would be similar to pounding them.

--edited for clarity

Edited by Jon Savage (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Aside from uniformity, there's the issue of changing chickens. In 1980, chicken was about 18% fat, now, it's closer to 30%. They get bigger at a much younger age, and are therefore much more tender than in the past. And, the size of the breast relative to the size bird is much larger & thicker. In the past, pounding helped tenderize (which might have been necessary) and was easier to do on smaller, thinner breasts. IMHO, butterflying  or just plain horizontal slicing into multiple portions, is fine. I have seen some breasts recently that were incredibly thick, and it seemed like a LOT of pounding (destruction) would be needed to make a classic paillard.

• Like 1

OK - I seem to be a lone voice here. To me there is more to pounding than thinning and evening. I find it a much different bite than butterflied where the long "fibers" are still in place. 

• Like 3