• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jar Lifter

Shel_B

I'm tired of hassling to remove my ramekins of flan and custard from the hot water bath, and would like to get a jar lifter.  Quality is first and foremost.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That is what I have.  Try Amazon.

I've checked Amazon.  There is a lot of crap out there.  I need a recommendation for a good quality lifter.  If the pic posted above is what you have, what's the brand, who makes it?

... Shel

Shel - you are talking about a $5 item probably available at any Walmart, grocery store that sells canning supplies (jars, etc.) or even hardware store. 'High quality' is relative. Just get one with a silicon dip (which will grip a ramekin better perhaps than just a bare metal one). You are better off going in person to browse for one so you can see 'the quality' rather than trying to figure that out on the web. And I doubt there are 'brand name' ones people will recommend - though I guess you could check Williams-Sonoma or Sur la Table to see if you can find some from Europe, finely crafted for $40 which might work just as well as the $5 ones. Otherwise, you can pretty well count on the one you buy being made in China and being 'cheap'.

• Like 3

Shel - you are talking about a $5 item probably available at any Walmart, grocery store that sells canning supplies (jars, etc.) or even hardware store. 'High quality' is relative. Just get one with a silicon dip (which will grip a ramekin better perhaps than just a bare metal one). You are better off going in person to browse for one so you can see 'the quality' rather than trying to figure that out on the web. And I doubt there are 'brand name' ones people will recommend - though I guess you could check Williams-Sonoma or Sur la Table to see if you can find some from Europe, finely crafted for $40 which might work just as well as the $5 ones. Otherwise, you can pretty well count on the one you buy being made in China and being 'cheap'.

Many of the ones with a "silicon dip" as sold by Amazon are crap.  Complaints of the silicon coming off or separating from the underlying metal parts are not unusual.  The typical lifters I've seen are shoddily made - I've looked at several.  I'd like to find something better.

The one I asked about looks to have a different construction than most, and the reviews I've read thus far have been pretty good.  The cheap $5.00 ones are just that, cheap and of marginal quality.  I like things that feel good in my hands, and which may last a while.

Checking prices at various sources, put this item in the $10.00 - $11.00 range, a far cry from the $40.00 you suggest I'd have to spend.  Maybe it is a better quality jar lifter ...

It seems to be available locally, so I'll check it out.  I much prefer to buy locally anyway, although that's not always possible.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

if you get a free Target Red Card  ) new, improved so the Russians dont find out what brand Boxers you wear  

you get 5 % of, but you also get free shipping from Targtet.com on any order, even < 25 bucks

and dont have to go anywhere.  you can return stuff to the store anytime  ...

When you are 20 buying utensils that will last a lifetime because they are high-quality makes sense. When you are my age you ask "Who's lifetime?" Life is short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The one I asked about looks to have a different construction than most, and the reviews I've read thus far have been pretty good.  The cheap $5.00 ones are just that, cheap and of marginal quality.  I like things that feel good in my hands, and which may last a while.

I have that one and I like it a lot.

I have other lifters but that's the only one i use.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Do you have the rubber kitchen gloves people use to wash dishes? Get a pair of those that are loose fitting, and wear them over a set of regular gloves. Biking, baseball, knit, leather, whatever, just not thin plastic/rubber like the outer gloves.

You can keep your hands in the water for minutes at a time (I've tested it), and you have a dexterity that you lose with utensils.

• Like 1

Do you have the rubber kitchen gloves people use to wash dishes? Get a pair of those that are loose fitting, and wear them over a set of regular gloves. Biking, baseball, knit, leather, whatever, just not thin plastic/rubber like the outer gloves.

You can keep your hands in the water for minutes at a time (I've tested it), and you have a dexterity that you lose with utensils.

... Shel

For the benefit of anyone else following the thread, I'll mention that I do something similar to Lord Ratner, except what I use are neoprene work gloves, available here from better hardware and home improvement stores.  They're lined, so no need for the inner pair of gloves.  Water proof, heat resistant and much better grip than any tool.  Useful not only for a task like this but also turning a hot turkey in the oven, lifting a bain marie insert from a sous vide bath, and mixing meat loaf (insulates from cold also).

• Like 2

You might try wrapping a couple rubber bands on the ends of your regular tongs.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-canning-e-109885

I will try that.  I've been using these tongs, but the grip is rather tenuous.  Maybe the rubber bands will give a more secure grip ... worth a try.  Thanks!

... Shel

The tool I suggested in post number 7, I believe is the only tool that can lift (round) plates and containers big or small, lite or heavy, securely using only one hand.

It can also reach deep inside a tall hot pot to grab something.

Cost - $5.00?

dcarch

All my canning stuff is stored away where I can't get at it without a lot of effort so I can't offer a photo.

I have two of these that I used to use for this purpose - baked custards, etc., 

To lift the entire rack I took a pair of long-handled "barbecue" tongs, turned up the ends OUTWARD so they were like "hooks" - the spring keeps them firmly against the wire - and using two hands could easily pick up and transfer the rack with its contents to a flat surface.

Mine are slightly different because they are an older model but the way it is made is essentially the same - the silicone "bars" are black instead of red but each holds 5 ramekins OR will hold a larger round or oval baking dish or even (many times) a springform pan holding a cheesecake.

So this option is versatile.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The tool I suggested in post number 7, I believe is the only tool that can lift (round) plates and containers big or small, lite or heavy, securely using only one hand.

It can also reach deep inside a tall hot pot to grab something.

Cost - $5.00?

dcarch

It's a nice tool, but I don't see how it will work to lift these ramekins from the tray ...

Ramekins in Tray.jpg

Ramekins in Tray Overhead.jpg

This is the setup I use whenever I make a custard or flan.  If there's a need to make a greater number of custards, there's a second, almost identical setup that allows for two trays with ramekins in the oven. 

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I have two of these that I used to use for this purpose - baked custards, etc., 

Do you know what the diameter of the rack is?  Will it fit into my 9 3/4 inch Corningware baking dish?  Do you think it'll work with these custard cups?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel