• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookie Dough Truffles

Jim D.

I am always looking for new fillings for chocolates and came across one for cookie dough truffles on Ecole Chocolat's recipe page.  It calls for chocolate chip cookie dough rolled into balls then covered with chocolate.  Not my cup of tea perhaps, but I think it might go over well with my "audience" (especially if I add some toasted pecans--after all, I am in the U.S. South).

This is a dough with flour, melted butter, cream, brown sugar, cocoa nibs, etc. (no eggs).  Given flour's unpleasant taste when uncooked, I am suspicious.  Before I order cocoa nibs and start experimenting, I would appreciate some advice:  Do you think it would work if I first made a roux with the butter and flour, then added the other ingredients?  And do you foresee any shelf life issues with this filling?  Any help would be welcome.

I am always looking for new fillings for chocolates and came across one for cookie dough truffles on Ecole Chocolat's recipe page.  It calls for chocolate chip cookie dough rolled into balls then covered with chocolate.  Not my cup of tea perhaps, but I think it might go over well with my "audience" (especially if I add some toasted pecans--after all, I am in the U.S. South).

This is a dough with flour, melted butter, cream, brown sugar, cocoa nibs, etc. (no eggs).  Given flour's unpleasant taste when uncooked, I am suspicious.  Before I order cocoa nibs and start experimenting, I would appreciate some advice:  Do you think it would work if I first made a roux with the butter and flour, then added the other ingredients?  And do you foresee any shelf life issues with this filling?  Any help would be welcome.

Hmmmmmm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/experts-warn-against-eating-cookie-dough-1.1053812

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Raw cookie dough, with raw flour, can be quite tasty. I would try the recipe as is before going the roux route. The recipe recommends storing these truffles in the fridge, not at room temp. You could always freeze them to increase your shelf life window.

• Like 1

BTW :

1 ) I havent baked cookies in 'Some Time '

2 )  “”   The outbreak didn't affect Canada “”

3 )  “”  a lot of people ate raw pre-packaged commercial cookie dough “”

Well.  as my Mother used to say :  re 3 " you need to get your head examined."

slow day here.  working on the Home Made Improved ( Machine ) Bread.

waiting for the Game   ....

Raw cookie dough, with raw flour, can be quite tasty. I would try the recipe as is before going the roux route. The recipe recommends storing these truffles in the fridge, not at room temp. You could always freeze them to increase your shelf life window.

But I can't find anything in the ingredient list that is at all unusual for a chocolate filling except the flour.  Do you see any reason for refrigeration--except that the recipe doesn't call for tempered chocolate?

But I can't find anything in the ingredient list that is at all unusual for a chocolate filling except the flour.  Do you see any reason for refrigeration--except that the recipe doesn't call for tempered chocolate?

An airy, damp, floury thing is a good medium for yeast and mold growth.  You don't need to leave flour and water out too many days before it bubbles, so I think there is too much food for wild nasties in this recipe to keep it at room temp for more than a few days.  Also, I'm not sure there is enough sugar to keep the dairy from getting weird after a while.  You could try baking the cookie dough without the chips, then process it until it starts to stick back together, then add the chips.  I'm thinking along the lines of liquid sable...  Or what if you made a roux, then added valrhona Dulcey instead of brown sugar to make it closer to ganache?  Damn, I might have to try that!

• Like 1

Toasting flour in the oven gets rid of some of that raw flour taste and gives it a bit of a nice, nutty flavor.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

An airy, damp, floury thing is a good medium for yeast and mold growth.  You don't need to leave flour and water out too many days before it bubbles, so I think there is too much food for wild nasties in this recipe to keep it at room temp for more than a few days.  Also, I'm not sure there is enough sugar to keep the dairy from getting weird after a while.  You could try baking the cookie dough without the chips, then process it until it starts to stick back together, then add the chips.  I'm thinking along the lines of liquid sable...  Or what if you made a roux, then added valrhona Dulcey instead of brown sugar to make it closer to ganache?  Damn, I might have to try that!

I guess I forgot about all the alien things floating around a kitchen (not my kitchen, I prefer to imagine).  Even when the truffles are sealed in chocolate, I would not be comfortable with the possibilities (though I have to add that sometimes I am not comfortable with those who take a month to eat a box of 15 of my chocolates--all made from experts' recipes--since anything will mold given enough time, even, as I recently discovered, refrigerated, bottled, very acidic salsa).

But I do like both of your alternative ideas, especially including some Dulcey, something I have been wanting to try.  But the flour + liquid issue would still be there.  Maybe just Dulcey, cream, butter, toasted pecans, and cocoa nibs--would that convey the chocolate chip cookie taste, or is the baking of the cookie an essential element of the taste?  I've never used nibs.  Are they somewhat bitter, like a very high percent dark chocolate?

To me, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla represent the chocolate chip cookie taste, but I think the caramel notes in Dulcey would be close.  You could even add a tiny bit of molasses for more brown sugar flavor.

Cocoa nibs on their own are unsweetened, just crushed roasted cocoa beans.  Consider them 100% dark chocolate.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a recipe for a chocolate chip cookie truffle and have come up with something that works.  Many thanks to Pastrygirl for her suggestions to use Valrhona Dulcey chocolate and molasses to try to duplicate the flavor of the cookie.  I would be interested in having any suggestions for improvement and for increasing shelf life.

Notes:  You could use white chocolate instead of Dulcey, perhaps adding more molasses to compensate for the loss of the "brown sugar" taste.  Milk chocolate might work, but I have not tried it.  For the chocolate chips, you can purchase good-quality dark chocolate chips or (as I did) just chop dark chocolate into appropriately sized pieces.  The dipped truffles could be decorated with cocoa nibs or chopped dark chocolate instead of the chopped pecans I used.  I considered adding glucose for extended shelf life, but it would have added undesired (to me) sweetness; I do not know whether molasses helps with shelf-life issues.  Others may question my tempering of the Dulcey.  I did so out of caution as I have had frequent issues with white chocolate separating when using the usual "pour hot cream over chocolate" method of making a ganache. The recipe is based on one found on the website of Ecole Chocolat.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE TRUFFLES

100g pecans (or other nuts)

70g dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)

60g butter

150g heavy cream

1 vanilla bean

300g Valrhona Dulcey chocolate

20g molasses

Toast the pecans, then chop into small pieces. Remove 80g for use in the truffles, then chop the remaining 20g into smaller pieces to use for decorating the finished truffles.

Chop the dark chocolate into pieces approximately the size of chocolate chips.

Brown the butter in a pot, then cool to room temperature.

Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream, add the pod, then heat in a pot to approximately 84F/29C.

Temper the Dulcey to 84F/29C.

Remove the vanilla pod from the cream, then slowly mix the cream into the Dulcey to make an emulsion (an immersion blender is recommended).

Mix in the browned butter (include the browned bits if you wish), then the molasses.

Add the 80g of coarsely chopped pecans and the chopped dark chocolate.

Chill the mixture, then roll into balls and dip in dark chocolate.  While the truffles are still wet, decorate with the finely chopped pecans (cocoa nibs or chopped chocolate may be used instead).

Makes approximately 36 truffles (each 1 inch in diameter and weighing 14-15g).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am planning to try JimD's recipe using caramelized white chocolate (as described in the thread 'making blond chocolate' -sorry I'm not good at links) in place of the dulcey. Not for a couple of weeks, (it's on my holiday schedule) but I'm hoping it will work.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

• 1 month later...