• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint Rampage

liuzhou

It took me a long to time to find mint here in China, but when I did I stuck a sprig in a pot and it has gone rampant. It makes the proverbial rabbits look like pandas in their reproduction endeavour.

So, I have far too much mint which will die, but don't want to waste it.

I've used it in salads, with potatoes, in a vaguely Moroccan lamb, mint and chickpea (garbanzo bean) stew, mixed it with couscous etc.

I'm looking for new suggestions, if anyone is so kind to share.

P.S. I've used in mint teas and, of course, with gin and tonic, but I really am after the edible rather than the bibatory.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've made a mint 'sauce' of pulverized mint, garlic, oil, a little salt, maybe some parsley...along the lines of chermoula.  It goes very well with lamb, and might do well with other savory meats.  If that sounds interesting to you I'll scrounge around and find the proportions.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do you care for mind cordial or mint rosolio?

I think I tried the mind chutney from A. Nguyen book one time I had a good amount of mint.

Whoa--  I have had a few but never that one..  interesting

Its good to have Morels

Dry some for using in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mint cannot be killed

No, but it dies back in winter then re-emerges in spring.

Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Exactly, it cannot be killed. That and those 'wild' strawberries and raspberries. Cant kill em.

Er, what I wanted to know was how to use it. 

I am well aware of the life cycle, thank you.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Mark Twain

Came across this in today's newspaper (first recipe). It's going on my list. Have to do some shopping and make the stem ginger syrup myself, first.

Mark Twain

I'm tremendously enjoying this thread. I grew up in a mint-free house, right down to the toothpaste, because my mom feels about mint the way I feel about bananas. I still don't do spearmint well, largely because everything my orthodontist used was spearmint-flavored, but I've come to like peppermint. Our neighbor has a large mint patch, and we have free rein to gather and use as much of it as we want (hey, it's MINT, so it'll come back!) and it's fun for me to see all the ways people use mint.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

And right on time, comes this.

Thanks for that link, liuzhou; there are some great ideas there. I have some good, fresh green beans that need to be eaten in the next day or two, and that salad with green beans and mint looks just the ticket.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dinner report: inspired by liuzhou's link to the green bean salad with mint, I went off on a tangent.

The sauce:

~2 cups each of Moroccan mint, Italian parsley and lovage leaves

5 or 6 garlic cloves

~ 2 -3 Tbsp olive oil

~ 2 Tbsp each champagne vinegar and red wine vinegar

The liquids are very approximate: enough to balance each other and allow a food processor to chop and blend the dry ingredients into a coarse mixture.

This sauce was served on the side so we could test it with both dinner features:

(a) green beans and yellow summer squash browned in butter, steamed in a splash of wine and chicken broth until crisp/tender, then finished with cherry tomatoes. (There's the green bean and mint connection. :-D) and

(b) leftover leg of lamb, gently rewarmed and served with its juice.

To cover my bets I'd also made a simpler oil-and-garlic sauce in case the mint was overpowering; it wasn't. The mint added a gentle piquance; the lovage added an interesting bite; the sauce as a whole enhanced both the beans and the meat; when those ran out we mopped up the remaining sauce with bread. I realize this isn't a mint dish per se, but it used a fair amount with delightful results. I'll be doing it again.

• Like 2

Came across this in today's newspaper (first recipe). It's going on my list. Have to do some shopping and make the stem ginger syrup myself, first.

I finally got round to making this. I only made one change to the recipe. I used hot chillies rather than mild, I like a bit if heat. Will definitely make it again.

squid.jpg

Mark Twain

Still hot there? Maybe some Fresh Mint Ice Cream? From BBC Good Food, with some suggestions if you don't have an ice cream maker:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2252644/fresh-mint-and-choc-chip-ice-cream

34ºC/93ºF. But anyway, I can eat ice cream in all temperatures. I've eaten it in Moscow at -18ºC/-0.4ºF.

The recipe sounds great. I can't get vanilla easily, but can manage the rest.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Mark Twain