• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quest for Singapore Noodles

Shel_B

Has anyone had Mei Fun @ americanized Chinese take out restaurants? Not the Singapore version. There is other versions like chicken, pork, shrimp, and house (which is a combination of the last 3 listed).

There is a "flavor" that is NOT curry (singapore version). I cant figure this out. What is strange is that this flavor is not specific to one local place. This flavor is similar from place to place. But what i did notice is this flavor is not consistent. Some times it bold, and sometimes its bland.

I have tried lotsof ingredients besides the basic (fried eggs,chinese cabbage, carrots,scallions,ginger,garlic) Its definetly not just soy sauce. Ive tried XO sauce, that not it either. Its very light color so i will also rule out dark soy or oyster, hosin..ect.

Could this be a simple chicken stock mixed with light soy and cornstarch? It does seem to have some liquid on the bottom of the plate (although white in color).

This has been bothering me for a few years. Its one of only a few dishes i want but cant seem to duplicate.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

FeChef, have a look back at this post and the resulting conversation?  Have you also tried Maggi sauce?  Or tried that pork-shrimp stock?

Its funny you brought that thread back up. I have since then traveled 70 miles to a Asian market where i was able to buy many popular ingredients that are not found in local grocery chains. I found Pearl River Bridge Delicious Light Soy Sauce to be the best ive ever tasted. I used to be very sensitive to soy sauce but this stuff i can douse on anything. Well maybe im exaggerating a bit but this soy sauce is by far the best ive tasted.

Now back to topic, I went out on a limb and tried adding a  sauce that consisted of heavily reduced pork stock, light soy sauce and cornstarch. I may have added too much soy sauce, but the flavor profile was very close to what i get at local Chinese take outs. So i know im on the right track.

Heres a pic of tonights Pork Mei Fun.

meifun.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

Now back to topic, I went out on a limb and tried adding a  sauce that consisted of heavily reduced pork stock, light soy sauce and cornstarch. I may have added too much soy sauce, but the flavor profile was very close to what i get at local Chinese take outs. So i know im on the right track.

OK, now try adding a few dashes of Maggi sauce or of fish sauce and see if that gets you closer... :-) (Not saying that THAT is what the take-outs use)

BTW FC:  would you share your Rx for the above ?  did you make the pork ?

many thanks

Its just a bunch of julienned vegies like carrots, napa cabbage, celery, green onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, a few eggs scrambled and fried, thin rice noodles or angel hair pasta cooked al dente and quickly chilled. Then you add some oil to a wok and quickly stir fry the vegies and set aside with the fried eggs. Add more oil to the wok. You can add some thin strips of cooked pork, chicken, shrimp at this point and toss in the noodles and let them warm up for a minute or two, then add a mixture of 1/4 cup pork OR chicken stock ,2 TBSP soy sauce and 2 tsp of cornstarch and toss till liquid bubbles and is absorbed. Toss in the other already cooked ingredients and serve.

And yes i made the pork. Im pretty sure you read the thread i made about chinese roast pork. Its leftovers that i had sliced and froze.

Edited by FeChef (log)

OK, now try adding a few dashes of Maggi sauce or of fish sauce and see if that gets you closer... :-) (Not saying that THAT is what the take-outs use)

I have tried a recipe that called for fish sauce. It definitely was not the flavor in question. What is Maggi sauce? I seen a bottle of it at the asian market but did not buy it. There was no english print on the bottle so i couldnt read what it was but for some reason i imagined it was something like gravy masters or kitchen boquet. Which is basicly carmel coloring used to darken gravys. That definitely would not be what there using as this is a very light color sauce, even lighter then the picture of my mei fun from last night.

So i picked up some Maggi seasoning at the asian market today (the yellow cap). They had the red cap aswell (was more expensive) I asked the woman there and she said the yellow had more flavor and the red was more salty.

I added 1/2 tsp to some fried rice tonight and it was really good. Not the flavor im after, but definitely better then just adding  soy sauce.

I'm no expert at all...but could it be Chinese Sesame Oil?  It tastes like nothing else I can think of.

Its not sesame oil. I use virgin cold pressed sesame oil in all my chinese cooking. I am sure you meant to say "toasted" sesame oil which is totally different then virgin cold pressed. That said, i do NOT like the aroma and taste of the "toasted" version.

That said, i am curious about "roasted" peanut oil. I do love the aroma and taste of roasted peanuts. I will have to see if the asian market sells it next time im near them.