• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Food in SF?

Stone

I realize that almost all the "Japanese" food I eat is sushi. Sometimes I get a teriyaki rice bowl for lunch (not too good). Sometimes tempura in noodle soup. Good but nothing special.

Where in SF can I go to get real Japanese food. Not some teriyaki steak sliced Beni Hana style on the griddle, but Iron Chef type stuff.

Well, I know I'll get spanked for this, but:  How good can noodles be?  I've had some great noodles, but they were just, you know, noodles.

I want Iron Chef stuff.

Stone, try zaru-soba some time. Buckwheat noodles with a dipping sauce. Wait until summer time though, as it's a cooling dish.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You can try LAKUNI in San Mateo. It may not be Iron Chef stuff but it is something different. Here is my experience at that place (about 3-4 mo's ago):

Lakuni is a small place with about a dozen bar stools. When we first entered the place, no one was inside probably due to the world series since most Japanese like baseball. The funny thing was the owner/chef told us that we are probably in the wrong place since they do not offer sushi/sashimis. We have not even said anything to him yet. Maybe because we (me and a friend) do not look like Japanese which is 99% of his clientele.

But we finally told him that we wanted to try his cooking and that we found him thru another friend at a website.

First we got a starter that looks like a root vegetable braised until soft in a dark sweet soy based sauce. Tasted a bit sweet, very nice and tender.

Next, tuna sashimi in white paste dressing that is tasteless. Not my favorite.

Grilled long and skinny fish: nicely browned and can eaten whole from head to toe. Fresh and good.

Meat skewers: beef, liver meats on skewers. EXCELLENT ! This is definitely his forte. The seasonings are just right.

Oyster in half shell baked with some orange seasonings on top. Very nice melding of flavor.

Chicken on skewer is also good although I like a bit more seasonings.

Ramen is very good. It has thinly sliced pork. The broth is tasty and the noodles has good texture.

Teriyaki chicken is also excellent. You can't go wrong with this dish really. But the teriyaki sauce has good flavor.

Total bill is $50 - what a deal !!

Have you ever tried Mifune in Japantown for Noodles ? If not Mifune, there are bound to be some decent places with that area.

Oh Mifune is sooooo good! How good can noodles be? About as good as their Soba noodles w/ Maguro! (we need a drooling smiley)