• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Anna N, you might consider trying out the "Spag Bol Inspired" meat sauce for pasta that I make from time to time, which has as the spice seasonings cloves, cinnamon and star anise.  I've posted a representative recipe for this on eG on other threads in the past.  Oh -- rice vinegar, soy sauce and TOMATO KETCHUP also go into this. ;-)   If this gives you a heart attack, then maybe this is not for you. :-) 

Edited by huiray (log)

AnnaN  try to pronounce the Swedish word, that will be  challenge since the  K is soft the ö is more like ehm sound...

Lunch today is samosas!

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Today the temperature hit 43ºC / 109ºF. Cooking wasn't an option. Going out wasn't either.

So lunch was fruit from the fridge. Then I went to sit in the fridge.

Red dragon fruit (pitaya), mango and lime.

red dragon mango.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• Maitake mushroom & Taiwan Choy Sum stir-fry w/ ginger.

• Shanghai Yangchun noodles w/ duck wing stock/broth and chopped scallions.

DSCN2310a_800.jpg

DSCN2311a_800.jpg

Meaty duck wings cut into pieces and chopped across the bones; marinated w/ luscious soy paste, sesame oil, jozo-mirin, light soy sauce, a bit of dark soy sauce, ground white pepper.  Baked till partly caramelized.  Lots of gelatin released.  Everything transferred to a pot, water added plus generous sliced ginger, seasoning adjusted, simmered till judged done.

• Like 2

14809992704_03c4c59bf2_z.jpg

Zucchine con acciughe e capperi ("zucchini with anchovy and capers")

14832186373_52865e2096_z.jpg

14812372455_c23f9a1f93_z.jpg

Oven-roasted tomatoes

14625732608_c8d5b63201_z.jpg

Pasta con salsa di mandorle e bietole ("pasta with chard and almond sauce").

Adapted from: http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/942 (with heirloom parsley instead of basil, twists instead of strangozzi and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese instead of Grana Padano).

• Like 3

Back in history, I walked some of the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain (until one of my knees decided it had had enough).  A regular morning snack was a bocadillo - essentially a baguette with various fillings.  One particular favourite was bocadillo con tortilla, with Spanish omelette, not the thin Mexican pancake.  And on the side, either a glass of red wine or some cider.

On Saturday I spotted some bottles of Basque cider at my favourite food/booze shop, and the memories came flooding back.  So, armed with a bottle, a baguette and some local chorizo, I headed home and created lunch:

Bocadillos.jpg

Very tasty.  And filling.

Incidentally, a couple of TV programs have put me onto a good tip for making a great tortilla.  Most recipes will tell you to slice your onions and potatoes, mix them with your eggs and seasonings and put the lot in a frying pan.  The variation is to deep-fry the sliced onions and potatoes until they're just starting to go soft, then mix them in with the other ingredients and frying gently.  This seems to give a better texture, perhaps a little more taste and more control over the frying process - you don't need to cook in the pan for as long, so there's less risk of burning.  And don't be afraid to use plenty of olive oil for the frying.

• Like 8

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Yesterday Sunday, we had big brunch with  friends, I dont take pictures when I eat with friends, I find it rude.  

We had  sleep over omelette , 3 types of fried sausages,  smoked bacon, smoked  salmon,   vegetable stew, fresh vegetables , juice, coffee,  tea,  jam, bread and  we ended it all with a  yummy kladdkaka.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A riff on Yeung Chow fried rice.

Three farm eggs were beaten w/ some water, oil, hon-dashi granules and ground white pepper; then fried in plenty of very hot peanut oil to give a simple bubbly lightly browned omelette. This was set aside, allowed to cool a bit then cut into ribbons and reserved.  Duck fat was added to the pan, chopped garlic was tossed/stirred around followed by pre-soaked large dried prawns (har mai), then Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) chopped into fine dice.  Continued high heat.  Chinese long beans chopped into ~ 2 inch length and Dragon Tongue beans cut diagonally into ~ 1 inch pieces went in next.  Tossed around.  White rice followed and everything mixed well; high heat.  Seasoning was adjusted.  Chopped scallions (lots) and the reserved egg ribbons went in and mixed in.  The heat was shut off and the pan covered for a couple of minutes.  Served w/ chopped coriander leaves and freshly deep-fried sliced shallots.  Accompanied by pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers; plus Lingham's Hot Sauce.

DSCN2352a_800.jpg

DSCN2357a_400.jpgDSCN2356a_400.jpg

• Like 4

Pork wontons w/ kai lan in chicken broth.  Garnished w/ fresh deep-fried shallots & coriander leaves.

DSCN2367a_800.jpg

The filling was minced pork with andouille sausage mince (1:1), mixed w/ sesame oil, chopped scallions, chopped garlic, finely sliced wood-ear fungus (rehydrated & trimmed dried stuff), ground white pepper, sang chau [Kimlan], a few dashes of fish sauce [Red Boat], crumbled half of a palm sugar nugget.

The chicken broth was chicken stock plus chicken fat, rendered in the stock, chopped garlic, simmered for a bit, seasoning adjusted and diluted a bit.

I also made a batch of munchies and chomped on them as well. :-)

DSCN2360a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Real food once more! Car battery boosted. Grocery shopping done. I de-boned a chicken thigh, seasoned it with Spike seasoning, cooked it skin down in a cast iron pan until the skin was shatteringly crisp and served it on the bed of arugula, tomato and red onion. The dressing (not shown) was a homemade smoky tomato dressing.

Just cannot resist this close-up

image.jpg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

nice.

is that plate a bit 'wavy?'

It is indeed wavy. I am SO DAMN PROUD of that plate! $1.99. It just seems to show food of so many kinds to the best advantage. And the "bowl" holds a (to me) normal serving of most things.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Pocketless whole wheat pita (so, more or less a flatbread) warmed in toaster oven, smooshed some mild goats cheese all over it. Topped with sliced yellow tomato and a few drips of Trader Joe's balsamic glaze. It was very Calder-esque, sorry I didn't take a photo. But very yummy.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

image.jpg

Not too different from yesterday's lunch. When you find something good you might as well keep doing it!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch yesterday:

• Beef short ribs (bone-in) & pork belly stew – w/ sautéed garlic, red & yellow onions; salted & simmered ~ 1½ hours; then, sequentially – baby new Yukon Gold & Red Gold potatoes, red & orange carrots, whole shallots, dried oregano & thyme; then a good dash of Maggi sauce (German version) plus some Takara hon-mirin.

• Napa cabbage & deribbed Tuscan kale stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice.

DSCN2369a_800.jpg

DSCN2371a_800.jpg

• Like 4

After a 2-week road trip, after ANY and all road trips, this is the comfort food we craved: 

Hubby's childhood favourite - rice omelette with cheddar cheese sauce

Bill'sRiceOmelette4891.jpg

I prefer fresh herbs from my garden: Parsley, 2 kinds of basil, and cilantro

HerbOmelette4894.jpg

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

There comes a time when one feels less like a cook and more like the curator of a museum of repasts of yesterweek. When the refrigerator surely cannot hold one more BPA-free container of leftovers. When one's perfectly steamed broccoli florets and sauteed until golden brown chicken thighs simply lose their lustre. Then it's time to suffer through one last bowl of leftovers and ditch the rest. Surprising how dumping out a few containers into something other than one's self can help make that last bowlful tolerable!image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

There's nothing wrong with leftovers.

ETA: In my opinion.

Of course there isn't. I love leftovers. But moderation in all things. When you live alone leftovers can become tiresome the third or fourth time around. That's when I give myself permission to ditch them.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I had another stomach because I'd make another one of these.  Heaven on a plate.

Garden tomatoes, bologna, homemade white bread, mayo.

attachicon.gifphoto 2.jpg

Shelby,

If we could just drop the bologna? Otherwise heavenly for sure! I can smell the summer in those tomatoes.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Of course there isn't. I love leftovers. But moderation in all things. When you live alone leftovers can become tiresome the third or fourth time around. That's when I give myself permission to ditch them.

True enough.  (Or when they grow arms and legs and wave at you)