• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 3)

junehl

Heidi: Yes, lots of rice, especially good with the moistened burnt rice on the bottom of the pot.

I sometimes use sliced beef, or I might use sliced pork with mui choi. Beef always seem to go better with ja choi. Ground meat was better for the kids when they were small - broken up and mixed with the rice and juice.

It's comfort food: salty, spicy, minty, meaty...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Snow was melting, then we got 10 cm with +40kmh winds!

fyard5080.jpg

Couldn't go anywhere, so took time to make stuffed peppers and eggplant with ground pork, shrimp, Chinese celery, cilantro, and green onion. The pieces were browned then steamed with oyster sauce /chicken stock. The sauce was delicious for the baby bok choi and rice. :wub:

1peprs5098.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

dcarch: Did you steam the eggplant and cooked the turkey separately? I have ground turkey in the freezer and would like to find some other uses for it.

Tonight, I finally got around to making Jo-mel's Vinegar Spashed Pork Balls. I need to make more sauce. These were very good - fine texture and we loved the lemon zest flavour that came thru' the sweetness.

Served with stir-fried pea shoots (dou miu):

1porkballs5127.jpg

And a medley of canned shitaki, oyster, and straw mushrooms in oyster sauce.

1mushmed5134.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yes, eggplants were steamed separate. The ground turkey was very lean, I mixed in some tapioca, and some finely chopped pickled turnip. Seasoned with light soy sauce, pepper, seasme oil, and Shaoxing wine.

----------------------------

Lovely pork balls and mixed mushrooms.

----------------------------------------------

Roasted pork with crackling skin, on mustard green.

dcarch

Crackling4s.jpg

Crackling3as.jpg

dcarch: You seem to like mustard greens a lot. Are you close to an Asian store? What did you do with the rest of the leaves?

I haven't made siu yook since I made it with my mom. Haven't been able to find any good thick pieces of pork belly, so I just pick it up at Chinese BBQ shops. Just as well that I don't have easy access as I've just been out on cholesterol meds by the cardiologist as a precautionary measure.:-(

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Steamed hairy squash (mu qua) with ground chicken, shrimp, waterchestnut in oyster sauce - for supper tonight. The squash was sweet and tender. The chicken was velvety smooth with the seasme oil aroma. Memories of my Mom's cooking. :smile:

muqua5181.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What form of tapioca and how was it incorporated?

Ground lean turkey can be chewy. I added topioca flour to smooth the texture a little.

dcarch: You seem to like mustard greens a lot. Are you close to an Asian store? What did you do with the rest of the leaves? ------

I do enjoy the nice bitter taste of mustard greens. For most leafy vegetables the leaves and the stems are like two different vegetables. So I often cook them separate in different dishes.

BTW, Very nice stuffed hairy squash. I have done it with bitter mellon. Have I told you I like bitter taste? :-)

dcarch

I love bitter melon in any way, shape, form. One of my Mom's favourites was bitter melon soup with pork and rehydrated oysters. SO good! :wub:

With bitter melon, I usually stuff with pork then a fermented black bean garlic sauce.

Watched an episode of Spice Goddess this morning, and she made a stuffed bitter melon dish. These melons have a different look (sometimes labelled as karela?), and the skin was peeled. The stuffing was chopped onion, tomato, garlic, ginger, tumeric, garam masala, curry leaves. The melon halves were pan fried then finished in a 425F oven. Didn't get to see the rest of the show...

Have you ever used these bitter melons?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Fresh out of the oven this afternoon: char siu - Chinese BBQ pork.

So hard to keep my hands (and hubby's) off! Will be making char siu baos and bits for hot 'n' sour soup. I've been making the soup with char siu for so many years, I just can't make it without!

1BBQ5202.jpg

2BBQ5213.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Saw these at Stokes and just couldn't resist!

set5232.jpg

Supper tonight:

Hot 'n' Sour soup with shrimp, ground chicken, char siu, bamboo shoots, shitaki mushrooms, wood ear, day lily, silken tofu.

HnS5254.jpg

Pan fried tofu with char siu, oyster sauce on wilted iceberg lettuce.

char5248.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, the plates are fun, but your char siu is beyond gorgeous, and I can't wait to see your baos. How did you get such a beautiful crust?

If this week goes according to plan (most haven't lately), I hope to contribute to this thread with Wednesday night's dinner (fingers crossed).

Bruce: For once, I didn't hang the chunks of pork like I usually do with char siu. I think the lovely crust came from over-marinating... :blink: I didn't get around to cooking the meat after one day. It was in the marinade, in the fridge for three days, tho' I did take the time to turn the pieces.

This time, I just laid them on the broiler rack with water in the bottom. Oven at 425F, turning and basting half way.

Baos didn't get made either. We had too many little"nibbles"! I'll be making more next week, AND baos, before the kids come out for Easter.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah has been posting so much beautiful Chinese food I had to join in with a meal from Land of Plenty.

Tai bai chicken: I love this dish, but holy moley, this batch turned out spicy! I normally use roundish dried chiles that are fairly mild, but this time used pointed chiles from the Indian market. Younger son talked smack about my "weak-kick chicken", urging me to "make it spicy next time (as he shoveled rice into his mount and drank about a gallon of water). :laugh: I do not mind at all if he gets macho about spicy food.

Dry-fried green beans, a perennial favorite, and Mrs. C made jasmine rice with chicken stock, onions, and herbs.

396241101.jpg

Yay! Glad you kept your promise, Bruce, as I left "today" just for you! :laugh:

ojisan I always use boneless pork butt. Love the fat that runs throughout - keeps the meat juicy. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It was a busy day, and a steamy one...

Here are the baos you've been waiting for, Bruce... :smile:

I made 40 char siu baos and 10 lapcheung baos.

char siu diced and ready for the wok:

charsiu5405.jpg

After the addition of more Hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, chicken stock, thickened with cornstarch slurry. Hard to keep wayward spoons from scooping the filling into mouths...

filling5408.jpg

Lots of fun pleating:

pleats5453.jpg

Hot from the steamer:

1bao5445.jpg

Oozy with sauce and fluffy/chewy mouth-feel:

2bao5444.jpg

lapcheung bao:

3bao5460.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

After making baos all afternoon, supper was quickly thrown together before tai-chi workout.

Stir-fried King Topshell (abalone like shellfish - poor man's abalone) with shitaki mushrooms, gai lan in oyster sauce:

topshell5462.jpg

Pan seared tofu with Saigon Chili Oil

tofu5464.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

lapcheung bao:

3bao5460.jpg

OOHHHHHHHHH MG !!! Lapcheung bao ! What a fabulous idea. I'd never heard of that (not surprising, since I'm a Polish/Norwegian California girl). But I gots me some lapcheung in the fridge....

Is it just the "normal" bao dough...flour, yeast, salt, water?

Day-um. I have got to make that. Maybe tomorrow. THANK YOU DEJAH !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pierogi

I just use my usual bao dough, but no yeast:

flour, milk, sugar, baking powder and 1 tbsp veg oil.

As I usually have lapcheung in the fridge, it's a great way to use up any leftover dough.

I put the lapcheung in a little water and microwave them for about a minute, just to soften them up.

My future s-i-l likes to take them hunting - easy to carry, to eat, and filling. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had our Easter ham yesterday. Tonight, made a couple of our kids' favourite dishes from their childhood days:

Chicken lettuce wraps: ground chicken, waterchestnuts, bell peppers, onion, diced celery, fermented soy beans, hoisin and oyster sauce, chicken stock and lots of lettuce:

lrucwrp5516.jpg

Fun see: mung bean noodles with dried shrimp, lap cheung, Chinese cabbage, char siu

funsee5523.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com