• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

I picked up a bottle of Yerlo today. Hmong rice liquor; 120 proof. I'd never heard of it, but I just moved to Madison, WI, and it's distilled just up the road (well: 184 miles up the road) in Sturgeon Bay, so...

It's interesting. Nose definitely gives away the jasmine rice base; taste reminds me of a couple of the varieties of white whiskey that have become popular (including Death's Door's), thought without the tang of the corn; price is definitely higher than I'd pay if this wasn't a first-time curiosity. (I wasn't able to find a review anywhere online.) It reminds me of some baijiu I've had before, too...

I'm not sure what to mix it with. I guess I could treat it like white whisky and see what happens. I'm tempted to open a bottle of Koval's jasmine liqueur I was given as a gift and see if jasmine on jasmine works... any thoughts?

I took delivery of a specially ordered bottle of Appleton Estate Extra 12 today. The purpose of the purchase is for making Mai Tais. However I thought to try a few sips after dinner as a test. I must say, not quite what I was expecting. It reminds me more of Lemon Hart 151 than of the rums I have been drinking lately. Very spicy sweet, almost buttery at first but with a lot of burn. I think I could get quite used to Appleton but it sure took me by surprise. Reminds me, in a good way, of sniffing a bottle of vanilla. After the burn is gone the rich flavor lingers in the mouth and glass.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bloody good question, mate.

I'm half way through a lengthy opening post that may go up in the next couple of days. I have some days off starting Sunday.

I've been very busy with work lately [un]fortunately.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I resign any eGullet Cred I had, but it's Bacardi Legacy.

I don't really enter comps, but I reckon I've got a good, easily replicable drink that really shows the rum off. Plus, I've made a good connection with where I work and given the drink a clever, memorable name.

I think I have much better chance than last year.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I resign any eGullet Cred I had, but it's Bacardi Legacy.

I don't really enter comps, but I reckon I've got a good, easily replicable drink that really shows the rum off. Plus, I've made a good connection with where I work and given the drink a clever, memorable name.

I think I have much better chance than last year.

No shame there. IMO the interesting challenge is to make the most of whatever ingredients you chose.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Swedish punch + white rum reminds me of this from the Savoy (which has potential, with its CR2 resemblance). Curious to see what you come up with.

A Doctor was originally Swedish Punch + Bacardi as well, rather than dark rum.

I am also looking forward to the result. Now that Adam has put his eG cred on the line he has no choice but to win, I feel. :biggrin:

(Plus a few more things that cannot be revealed at this time).

Hmmm.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 2 weeks later...

Two multipacks of Scrappy's bitters: I now I have 50mL bottles of their aromatic, orange, grapefruit, lime, lavender, chocolate, celery and cardamom offerings. Wondering if I want or need anything else, bitters-wise: I have a fair whack of the Fee and Bitter Truth/Bitterman range (not terribly keen to purchase more of the latter--I like them but they're stupidly expensive in Australia) range, plus Peychaud's, Angostura and Regan's Orange.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Hmmm.

Here they are: St. George gin sampler (dry rye, terroir, and botanivore), and a bottle of Willet 4-year single barrel rye. They ended up in London in excellent hands.

10432404485_758ec6ef15_z.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Here they are: St. George gin sampler (dry rye, terroir, and botanivore), and a bottle of Willet 4-year single barrel rye. They ended up in London in excellent hands.

You are welcome to come visit me anytime!

• Like 1

IMG_8213_zps852515eb.jpg

Supplies bought for the cocktail party, and whisky bought for myself, the day after. (I expected the Pusser's to be finished, but somehow it wasn't...)

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

Not so much what we bought today, but some things we found in a shop in Auckland last weekend when we were up there:

Drinks.jpg

Left to right: Ilegal Mezcal (reposado), Willet's bourbon, Sazerac rye, Barbancourt 8 yr old. The level of the Ilegal and Sazerac is down a little because we've already started, with a very fine Oaxaca Old Fashioned and, well, a Sazerac.

Haven't figured out what to do with the Barbancourt yet but I know some of you lot mention it from time to time, so something will reveal itself.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Hmmm.

10432404485_758ec6ef15_z.jpg

You are a most generous guest. You set a hell of a precedent, if this eGullet cultural exchange program is to take off.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Haven't figured out what to do with the Barbancourt yet but I know some of you lot mention it from time to time, so something will reveal itself.

My opinion is that less is more. I don't mix anything more complicated than a 'ti punch with it so it can shine.