• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Chinese in New Jersey

Rosie

I'm going to put in a vote for Szechuan Gourmet, in New Brunswick, next door and above Stage Left.  Fresh, not over sauced, and yes, "americanized", but quite good. I've been to China...americanizing the food is not such a bad thing... I like the rice with my meal, and there is not a grain to be found in the southern provinces.

• 2 months later...

An excellant Chinese restuarant that I haven't seen mentioned is Hunan Taste in Denville. Top quality for lunch and dinner. They have a very good variety and some house specials that are outstanding. Probably the best Peking Duck that I have ever had as well. Atmosphere is also very nice...rows of fish tanks with some very interesting exotic fish throughout the restaurant plus a fish tank bar. I very strongly recommend giving this place a try.

A.D.S.

• 1 year later...

I frequently dine out in Northern New Jersey with my friend and her mom. Any suggestions about the best Chinese restaurants there, and any dishes that might be especially good/worthwhile?

There's a large Korean population in Northern NJ - I'd also be interested in hearing about any of those restaurants that stand out

For god sakes, China 46 in Ridgefield Park for Shanghainese. If you are closer to the city and want go check out a movie in Edgewater, try John's Shanghai.

Silver Pond in Fort Lee for Dim Sum. They also have a fresh fish tank for other hong kong style stuff but generally Dim Sum is what they excel at.

For Korean definitely Koreana in Fort Lee, they are the most westerner friendly korean in the area and in my opinion one of the best. Also "Dumpling Restaurant" attached to the Hanh Ah Reum shopping center in Ridgefield for killer Mandoo Gui (fried dumplings) and dumpling soups and stir frys. I'd also check out Myung Ga "The Light House" Tofu in Ridgefield right next to the shopping center for cheap barbeque -- they have short ribs and bulgogi for $10 a plate if you have them cook it in the kitchen. They also have good tofu soups.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, I forgot about Hunan Cottage.

Also, outside of the Chinese/Korean, you definitely want to go to Saigon Republic in Englewood for Vietnamese and Wondee's for Thai in Hackensack.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

And in central Jersey, Sunny Garden in Princeton/West Windsor is head and shoulders above the rest...though I have found that discussing my visit to China with my local strip mall place has improved my options considerably..they are willing to make everything "special for you".

For god sakes, China 46 in Ridgefield Park for Shanghainese. If you are closer to the city and want go check out a movie in Edgewater, try Joe's Shanghai.

Silver Pond in Fort Lee for Dim Sum. They also have a fresh fish tank for other hong kong style stuff but generally Dim Sum is what they excel at.

For Korean definitely Koreana in Fort Lee, they are the most westerner friendly korean in the area and in my opinion one of the best. Also "Dumpling Restaurant" attached to the Hanh Ah Reum shopping center in Ridgefield for killer Mandoo Gui (fried dumplings) and dumpling soups and stir frys. I'd also check out Myung Ga "The Light House" Tofu in Ridgefield right next to the shopping center for cheap barbeque -- they have short ribs and bulgogi for $10 a plate if you have them cook it in the kitchen. They also have good tofu soups.

I was in Edgewater and went to John's Shanghai. The soup dumplings were extremely good, the moo shu pork was ordinary, and the menu intriguing. I'm interested in returning.

Is there Joe's Shanghai here as well? Or did you mean John's?

And in central Jersey, Sunny Garden in Princeton/West Windsor is head and shoulders above the rest...though I have found that discussing my visit to China with my local strip mall place has improved my options considerably..they are willing to make everything "special for you".

I've eaten at Sunny Garden a few times, mostly lunch, and suspect that it's a very good restaurant. At one time, the former head chef here, David Lum, had previously been the head chef at Shun Lee Palace. I also recollect that they had excellent old-fashioned American style Egg Rolls.

For god sakes, China 46 in Ridgefield Park for Shanghainese. If you are closer to the city and want go check out a movie in Edgewater, try Joe's Shanghai.

I was in Edgewater and went to John's Shanghai. The soup dumplings were extremely good, the moo shu pork was ordinary, and the menu intriguing. I'm interested in returning.

Is there Joe's Shanghai here as well? Or did you mean John's?

China 46 and Hunan Cottage both trump John's Shanghai.

If you want Korean in a slightly more sophisticated atmoshphere than the "shopping center" feel of the Ridgefield "Dumpling House" Jason mentioned, there is also "Koreana", in Fort Lee. But as is frequently the case with Korean food, the dumpy little shopping center place is the better of the two.

If you are brave, one way to totally immerse yourself in Korean would probably be to drive up and down Bergen Blvd., through the town of Palisades Park. There's a stretch--about nine or ten blocks long--which is pretty much 100% Korean, and there are probably a hundred restaurants in that stretch.

Also, scattered throughout Fort Lee, Palisades Park, and Ridgefield are many Korean bakeries, if that's an area you want to explore. Sunmerry, in the Fort Lee bridge plaza, is an easy one to access. There are also two bakeries in the same plaza as the Hanh Ah Reum supermarket (and the Dumpling Restaurant) in Ridgefield.

Vietnamese and Thai have been adaqueately covered, I think. :rolleyes:

For something completely unsubtle, there's also Khan's Mongolian--in Blauvelt, NY--right over the state line. Walk up to a bar of fresh ingredients, slosh on your own distribution of saucing ingredients and have it heated over a simulation of a barbarian's shield over a campfire. :raz: The big selling point of Khan's for me is that they actually have fresh sesame buns to stuff the food inside of--something I haven't seen for years. But like the Korean dumpling restaurant, this isn't a place to go to try and impress anyone.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Kings Noodles in the Han Ah Ruem shopping center is also worth the trip for fresh made Chinese noodles and rice dishes with interesting sauces (especially brown sauce).

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

My wife and I enjoy the Hunan Noodle House, 1551 Route 46 East in Parsippany. You must try their noodle soups, including the Shrimp Wonton Noodle Soup, the Chicken, Scallops and Shrimp Noodle Soup and the cut noodle soups (noodles are very homemade). When we are in a gutsy mood, we will try some of the authentic Taiwanese items on the menu. The fried chicken leg rivals the old Chicken Delight or Chicken Holiday for a tasty and decadent experience.

• 3 months later...
Kings Noodles in the Han Ah Ruem shopping center is also worth the trip for fresh made Chinese noodles and rice dishes with interesting sauces (especially brown sauce).

Please tell me exactly what to order here. I tried it and was very dissappointed with the extra gloppiness of the sauces.

Please tell me exactly what to order here. I tried it and was very dissappointed with the extra gloppiness of the sauces.

You just don't get it, obviously. :laugh:

You just don't get it, obviously. :laugh:

I was there the other day and ordered the chop suey noodle soup. It was really good. Nice spicey broth, old style "chop suey" vegetables with bits of seafood. I think all the noodle dishes are about the noodles not the sauces and I like their gloppy sauces. I haven't ordered anything but noodles and soups, so I can't go any further.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 2 months later...

Can't believe no one on this line for so long on the topic of Chinese restaurants-one of my passions in life. Been to virtually everything of note in Northern Jersey. Here's some opinion-

1. Silver Pond-

Been there for dim sum innumerable Saturday afternoons, have taken others there.

Dim sum is top notch; good variety, fresh.

Most notewothy items: har gow(shrimp dumpling), pai gwot(steamed little spareribs),

low yoke(beef ball). Also chive dumpling, seen joke goon(beancurd skin roll wrapped around meat)(way good). My current personal fave - fried roll stuffed with shrimp and cilantro( not sure of the cantonese name for it). :wub:

Service is good, fish are not dead. Have tried dinner items although experience is primarily dim sum. Good (albeit not exotic)dinner items: salt and pepper shrimp, any of the cantonese style chow mein(fried noodle dishes)(better in restaurant than take out), and their multi item fried rice(which in cantonese style is white and not dark ).

Of their more exotic items, have also recently had a nice shark's fin soup item.

In relation to places in New York for dim sum this stands up pretty well although I would rate Sweet and Tart better because it's fresher and has a greater ecletic selection as well as bonzer main dish kind of items.

Certainly more convenient for those in North Jersey.

2.Peking Duck House-

have been eating here for the last fifteen years- know everyone by name. Have had many family celebrations here and staff has gone all out. Good place to take a bunch of people.

Staff is very friendly-owner generally checks with everyone on how they are enjoying the meal.

Best thing is obviously the Peking duck and can get the 2 or 3 course duck deal (although I don't care much for the soup part)

Everything they make is solid(except perhaps for the normal soups on the menu which seem not to have a particularly flavorful broth base.)

Sundays and holidays have buffet which is good and plentiful(albeit not exotic generally).

Peking duck and champagne are generally added on holidays along with dim sum.

Very good cold table with vegetarian mock meats and cold sesame noodles

Good desert table including the chocolate cake of which Jason spoke.

Will cook any requested item for a banquet. Great items: Seafood soup served in a wintermelon, squirrel fish(whole fish with a sweet and sour sauce and pignoli nuts).

On the menu good dishes: wine bibbing chicken, beggars chicken(have to order in advance).

Have to get off- more in a bit.