• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Chinese in New Jersey

Rosie

Tommy:

You are of the post I enjoy reading not just because of the good taste but also the sharp wit.  :laugh: 

Bill

bill, those are nice words, but even *i* don't like my posts from the last 6 months. :laugh: you are very generous indeed.

Do you have a evil twin? How the f**k are you home already. I just hooked my laptop up. I need to have a cocktail. :blink:

• 4 months later...

Noticed reviews for China Gourmet (may not have chk'd thoroughly) - mostly about dim sum (now can't wait to try...) - anyhow:

China Gourmet

Address: 468 Eagle Rock Ave, West Orange, NJ 07052

Phone: (973) 731-6411

There on Saturday night and business was bustling at 8p; table wait was about five minutes. There's a glowing NYT review of the restaurant at the door advocating 'off the beaten path' dishes and much potential...

Started with the Superior Seafood Soup (superiorly expensive but advocated by our waiter); an abalone, lobster egg drop bisque. Good but not inspirational. Spring rolls were 86'd so we tried the Egg rolls - good but pretty much classic; big, stuffed with cabbage and pork and not thankfully not greasy. Dinner was better...

Salt Baked Prawns (Shrimp) were perfect. Shrimps were not overcooked but shells a crispy delight. Next - Peking Pork Chops (another classic) and pretty good; big chunks of fried pork chop in a balance Peking style sweet & sour sauce. The Mandarin Beef was also a classic - fried beef in a black/red mandarin sauce with plenty of chili peppers. Finally, the Frog's Legs in Garlic was diced bits of frog's legs in a hot pot with garlic, large mushrooms and water chestnut.

Service was good - friendly & capable - they have a liqueur license (Tsing Tao's around) and bill was about $120 for 5 (inc. 2 kids)...

My Chinese in this neck of the woods has been Sesame (Bloomfield Ave), Season's (Clifton) and, now, China Gourmet. It's good - and I'm thankful for that - but I'll still make the rounds...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Some favorites: leek box,marinated bean curd skin with Chinese mushroom; sautéed snow pea leaves; crispy stuffed bean curd; sautéed spinach; salt and pepper shrimp or soft shell crabs; steamed live fish with ginger and black beans; steamed pork dumplings; cod fish wrapped in bean curd skin; chow fun; and pork shoulder with vegetables (bok choy). Don’t like their casserole dishes.

More info here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=Hunan++Cottage

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ask for the Chinese menu...

Thks Rosie - made the same request at China Gourmet...

And thanks for ideas, below; will make my way to Hunan Cottage - there's many a good review for that eatery and one of the reasons I posted a review for CG; I couldn't find one (short dim sum)...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• 1 year later...

Some friends from Shanghai took my mostly Chinese family to Soochow on rt 46 in Saddle Brook. All were impressed by the authenticity and quality of the dishes, which were Shanghai style. My view is that authentic Shanghai-style food is generally more acessable to the American palate than some other regional cuisines. (Sweet flavors are common). We asked the waiter what was good, (given that we wanted authentic food) and went with his advice. Seafood, vegetables, soup, soup dumplings. All were good. We'll probably go back sometime despite it being about 40-45 minutes away, when we want to take out Chinese friends or family, or people who don't like spicy food.

My top Chinese restaurant remains China Chalet in Parsippany, for its fiery and authentic Sichuan food. There, we have recently had lobster, and crab, prepared Chungdu style - spicy and numbing, both very good. I have written about China Chalet in its own thread.

Some friends from Shanghai took my mostly Chinese family to Soochow on rt 46 in Saddle Brook. All were impressed by the authenticity and quality of the dishes, which were Shanghai style. My view is that authentic Shanghai-style food is generally more acessable to the American palate than some other regional cuisines. (Sweet flavors are common). We asked the waiter what was good, (given that we wanted authentic food) and went with his advice. Seafood, vegetables, soup, soup dumplings. All were good. We'll probably go back sometime despite it being about 40-45 minutes away, when we want to take out Chinese friends or family, or people who don't like spicy food.

My top Chinese restaurant remains China Chalet in Parsippany, for its fiery and authentic Sichuan food. There, we have recently had lobster, and crab, prepared Chungdu style - spicy and numbing, both very good. I have written about China Chalet in its own thread.

Anyone else been to 88 Cafe in Livingston. It is fairly new I think, in the building that used to be Friendly's on East Mount Pleasant.

I've been there a few times and thought it was authentic and very good. Reasonable as well.

They have a favorite dish I have only found in New York, rice cakes, or New Year's Rice Cakes in a brown sauce with chicken, beef, pork, shrimp or veggies.

They also have a Sushi bar which I have not tried.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Anyone else been to 88 Cafe in Livingston. It is fairly new I think, in the building that used to be Friendly's on East Mount Pleasant.

I've been there a few times and thought it was authentic and very good. Reasonable as well.

They have a favorite dish I have only found in New York, rice cakes, or New Year's  Rice Cakes in a brown sauce with chicken, beef, pork, shrimp or veggies.

They also have a Sushi bar which I have not tried.

China 88 is pretty good. Not everything is spectacular, but they make several dishes very well. I also like the fact that they'll deliver to us in West Orange :biggrin:

As for their sushi, while it's not "best ever" it is fresh and well prepared. Very often I'll get a random roll to have as an appetizer.

I wasn't a huge fan of their Tom Yam soup, but I do like their Wonton soup. The wonton's are very light and not doughy, and the broth has a delicious flavor.

I think they do a particularly good job with their lemongrass dishes, and they also make a fairly good version of Salt & Pepper Shrimp.

Keep in mind that just about all of their food that I've tried, I've had a better version in another restaurant, but for an eclectic Asian restaurant, they do a good job.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

----------but for an eclectic Asian restaurant, they do a good job.

I agree. I've only eaten there once, but the food was well prepared, tasted just fine, and the presentation was beautiful. It was also 'with it'.

But for those reasons, I probably won't go back. I guess I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to Chinese food. "Down and Dirties" attract me!

I DO love their Xian statue outside! I want one!!

----------but for an eclectic Asian restaurant, they do a good job.

I agree. I've only eaten there once, but the food was well prepared, tasted just fine, and the presentation was beautiful. It was also 'with it'.

But for those reasons, I probably won't go back. I guess I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to Chinese food. "Down and Dirties" attract me!

I DO love their Xian statue outside! I want one!!

I know what you mean, there was nothing like going down stairs to Wo Hop in Chinatown in NY, the surly waiters through a stack of plates and silverware on your table. If you wanted water you got it yourself. But the food was soooo good. But in New Jersey the down and dirties give me the creeps, have not had good luck with the quality of food. Any suggestions?

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

I know what you mean, there was nothing like going down stairs to Wo Hop in Chinatown in NY, the surly waiters through a stack of plates and silverware on your table. If you wanted water you got it yourself. But the food was soooo good. But in New Jersey the down and dirties give me the creeps, have not had good luck with the quality of food. Any suggestions?

Interesting in what we willingly put up with in a Chinatown, -- any Chinatown --we won't tolerate anywhere else!

Right now my favorite places are China 46, Hunan Cottage, Joy Luck Pavilion and altho I haven't been there for awhile, I like Noodle Chu.

I used to go to China Gourmet in WO on Eagle Rock Ave. (great sizzling oysters in black pepper sauce.) I stopped when China 46 came into my life. Then I heard that China Gourmet had dropped quite a bit. But last week-end someone had gone there and said that the quality was back. I will have to recheck it.

I used to go to the Chinese Restaurant in West Orange in Essex Green when I was young up until the 80's it had a dish I love (and miss) called Fong Wong Gai (it was chicken with a slice of pork or ham between the layers - battered and quick baked or fried) If anyone knows of any Bergen County restaurants that have that I'd love to hear!

Also I googled Soochow and could not find an online menu if anyone knows of any GOOD chinese restaurants in Bergen county please let me know. I like more szechuan style with the occassional polynesian/cantonese thrown in. Please do NOT recommend C46 :wacko: it is definitely not in my top 10 choices. Thanks! :biggrin: Much appreciate the aid on this! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Interesting in what we willingly put up with in a Chinatown, -- any Chinatown --we won't tolerate anywhere else!

Right now my favorite places are China 46, Hunan Cottage, Joy Luck Pavilion and altho I haven't been there for awhile, I like Noodle Chu.

I used to go to China Gourmet in WO on Eagle Rock Ave. (great sizzling oysters in black pepper sauce.) I stopped when China 46 came into my life. Then I heard that China Gourmet had dropped quite a bit. But last week-end someone had gone there and said that the quality was back. I will have to recheck it.

I stopped going to China Gourmet as well. I felt that they were overpriced and that the quality could not substantiate it. I'd rather go to Hunan Cottage in Fairfield or Hunan Taste in Denville. Maybe I'll give China Gourmet another shot.

As for down and dirty, if the food is solid, I'm willing to look the other way, but if the place is foul and so is the food, who wouldn't get bugged out a little bit?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

I used to go to the Chinese Restaurant in West Orange in Essex Green when I was young up until the 80's it had a dish I love (and miss) called Fong Wong Gai (it was chicken with a slice of pork or ham between the layers - battered and quick baked or fried)  If anyone knows of any Bergen County restaurants that have that I'd love to hear! 

Also I googled Soochow and could not find an online menu if anyone knows of any GOOD chinese restaurants in Bergen county please let me know.  I like more szechuan style with the occassional polynesian/cantonese thrown in.  Please do NOT recommend C46  :wacko: it is definitely not in my top 10 choices.  Thanks!  :biggrin:  Much appreciate the aid on this!  :laugh:

Lotus Cafe in Hackensack is pretty good for a local place. I don't think it's worthy of a lengthy trip in from out of town, but if you're nearby, it's a good standby.

Sorry, I can't access the menu which may have helped me to make a few recommendations. My memory just isn't in gear right now.

450 Hackensack Avenue

Hackensack NJ 07601-6312

Located by the Riverside Square Mall.

I second Lotus Cafe. I like a lot of their stuff.

The following particularly

Pork and Pickled Cabbage Soup

Lotus Delight

Beef and Scallops

South Pacific Prawns

Lobster Roll

Anonymouze, you could also try Silver Pond for dinner. I think the chicken with the ham dish of which you spoke is a not uncommon Cantonese banquet dish. I don't recall specifically but I'm willing to bet either they have it or would be willing to make it if you asked since they are Cantonese. They do serve a lovely chicken dish akin to that, that I had recently(but with garlic instead of ham) MMMMM!

I second Lotus Cafe.  I like a lot of their stuff.

Lotus Delight

Beef and Scallops

South Pacific Prawns

Lobster Roll

Anonymouze, you could also try Silver Pond for dinner. I think the chicken with the ham dish of which you spoke is a not uncommon Cantonese banquet dish.  I don't recall specifically but I'm willing to bet either they have it or would be willing to make it if you asked since they are Cantonese.  They do serve a lovely chicken dish akin to that, that I had recently(but with garlic instead of ham)  MMMMM!

I third Lotus Cafe.

mmmm....Lotus Delight.

For lunch I love the Ta Loo Mein soup noodles. HUGE bowl for like 6 bucks. Great on a cold day.

Also, I have enjoyed many Chinese New Year celebrations at Lotus and am never disappointed.

Even though it goes against the majority of egullet posters preferences I prefer Lotus to C46.

Unfortunately, their website, that is linked above, appears to be some quick generic cookie cutter website. It does not include the full menu. It is too bad because if you scrutinize their menu you will find that they are doing some special menu items that you might not easily find elsewhere in North Jersey.

Edited by Purple Pirate (log)

I second Lotus Cafe.  I like a lot of their stuff.

Lotus Delight

Beef and Scallops

South Pacific Prawns

Lobster Roll

Anonymouze, you could also try Silver Pond for dinner. I think the chicken with the ham dish of which you spoke is a not uncommon Cantonese banquet dish.  I don't recall specifically but I'm willing to bet either they have it or would be willing to make it if you asked since they are Cantonese.  They do serve a lovely chicken dish akin to that, that I had recently(but with garlic instead of ham)  MMMMM!

I third Lotus Cafe.

mmmm....Lotus Delight.

For lunch I love the Ta Loo Mein soup noodles. HUGE bowl for like 6 bucks. Great on a cold day.

Also, I have enjoyed many Chinese New Year celebrations at Lotus and am never disappointed.

Even though it goes against the majority of egullet posters preferences I prefer Lotus to C46.

Unfortunately, their website, that is linked above, appears to be some quick generic cookie cutter website. It does not include the full menu. It is too bad because if you scrutinize their menu you will find that they are doing some special menu items that you might not easily find elsewhere in North Jersey.

Oh yeah right Ta Loo Mein! That's great too. Thanks for mentioning that too. They actually have some nice creative stuff; but I don't think a lot of people understand that. Their New Year's menu for this year is interesting. I have a deep and continuing Jones for the Lotus Delight. <s> They are consistently good and I have been frequenting them for years.

That Ta Loo Mein soup really hit the spot last week after getting the stiches out of my mouth (I had my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago). Really good 3 cup chicken casserole too. So, add us for a fourth rec for Lotus Cafe.

The 3 cup chicken casserole is by far one of the best chicken dishes I have ever had at any chinese restaurant. Its up there with the freshly killed kung pao chicken from Grand Sichuan International midtown.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I found my fong-wong-gai! YES! :laugh:

Does anyone know anything about this place I seem to recall it from a long ago thread but didn't see it. I think they mentioned this place has karaoke or something but maybe I'm thinking of another place... anyhow... Anyone know about this?

Lee's Hawaiian?

635 Lexington Avenue

Clifton, New Jersey

973-478-1977

Fax: 973-478-5572

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I found my fong-wong-gai! YES!  :laugh:

Does anyone know anything about this place I seem to recall it from a long ago thread but didn't see it.  I think they mentioned this place has karaoke or something but maybe I'm thinking of another place... anyhow... Anyone know about this?

Lee's Hawaiian?

635 Lexington Avenue

Clifton, New Jersey

973-478-1977

Fax: 973-478-5572

Well, the bad news is that it burned down a couple of years ago, so I'm thinking you may not do too well getting it there.

It was a classic 60s Chinese Polynesian place before it burned.