• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Chinese in New Jersey

Rosie

consolidated with last post

twob -- I had to go back and reread what I wrote, as I don't remember ever ordering wonton soup anywhere in the last 20 years , nor H&S in the last 10! But it WAS someone else who mentioned those soups. The last soup I had at Joy Luck Pavilion was Pork & Sichuan Pickle (zha cai rou si tang) and the last soup I had anywhere was that same one ----that I love so much. My fav!

Finally went to China Chalet today! I was pleased with everything. Nice interior, (interesting wood wall hangings), and the service was fine, even tho it was lunch-time and we had to wait a few moments for a table. We had to ask for chopsticks, but that only gave me a chance to practice my Chinese!

We had Scallops with Black Pepper Sauce, Lamb with Scallions and Ginger, and a stir/fry of Watercress/Chinese Spinach/Baby Bok Choy. Nothing too hot. I'll try some thing ma-la next time. I did get a take-out order of Sichuan Twice Fried Pork to have for lunch tomorrow. It was made with fresh bacon the way it is supposed to be, and I did sneak a taste when I got home. It tasted pretty good and had large chunks of mild hot peppers in it.

I definitely will go back!