• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Tableware (or not?)

liuzhou

Willow-Pattern.jpg.79c014fdfbbeb1d659ce55b79296a1af.jpg

When I was a kid, my father’s great-aunt was still alive and about once every couple of months or so we would be required to get on our finery, adopt our best behaviour, and pay an official visit. She was a true relic of the Victorian era and lived stubbornly alone in what I was certain was actually a museum, rather than a domicile.

The sitting room where we were received by her majesty and treated to afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches and buttery scones (not together) was littered with bric-a-brac of all sorts. Some were fascinating, some scary. I particularly remember being intrigued by what I think were clams shells containing miniature replicas of famous buildings of the world – Rome’s Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, St. Paul’s Cathedral etc.

And, of course, there was a dresser full of highly decorative plates and serving dishes, including several examples of Willow Pattern.

This, I was told, was what everyone in China ate from. (I remember being confused as to what they ate from these plates, because I was simultaneously being lectured on not wasting food and eating the more nasty things for dinner because the starving Chinese would lap them up.)

Also, my great-great aunt would tell us the ancient Chinese story behind the design.

Once there was a wealthy Mandarin, who had a beautiful daughter (Koong-se). She had fallen in love with her father’s humble accounting assistant (Chang), angering her father. (It was inappropriate for them to marry due to their difference in social class.) He dismissed the young man and built a high fence around his house to keep the lovers apart. The Mandarin was planning for his daughter to marry a powerful Duke. The Duke arrived by boat to claim his bride, bearing a box of jewels as a gift. The wedding was to take place on the day the blossom fell from the willow tree.

On the eve of the daughter’s wedding to the Duke, the young accountant, disguised as a servant, slipped into the palace unnoticed. As the lovers escaped with the jewels, the alarm was raised. They ran over a bridge, chased by the Mandarin, whip in hand. They eventually escaped on the Duke’s ship to the safety of a secluded island, where they lived happily for years. But one day, the Duke learned of their refuge. Hungry for revenge, he sent soldiers, who captured the lovers and put them to death. The gods, moved by their plight, transformed the lovers into a pair of doves.

Sadly. years later, but long before I ever came to China, I learned the truth.

Chinese Willow Pattern ain’t Chinese, at all. It was invented in the late 18th century in England, probably in the famous Spode pottery works. Back then chinoiserie was a huge fad, prompted by Queen Victoria's husband Albert. It is unknown in China.

And the story? Yes, English, too. It, too,  is unknown in China.

If you want genuine Willow Pattern, go home. There is none here

P.S. If you are interested in Chinese pottery which is from China, then I recommend a trip to the town of Jingdezhen (景德镇 - jǐng dé zhèn) in Jiangxi Province. The town is famous for its 1,700 year old porcelain industry. There are dozens, if not more, workshops where you can watch the craftsmen and women at work.  And, of course, buy the results of their labours. Be careful. Some prices are astronomical, but there is also plenty of choice in lower price brackets.

I’m not particularly interested in porcelain, but I found the place fascinating. On the edge of town there is a large pottery workshop operating as a living museum, where they only produce their wares by the ancient, traditional methods. I spent hours in there watching the artists patiently and carefully decorating and carving. And yes, I did buy some.

Porcelain_Workshop_Jingdezhen_Jiangxi_China.jpg.9eab54917843d23f1b4632ceb61c94cc.jpg

There is more information on Jingdezhen porcelain and the different types here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

When I was a kid, my father’s great-aunt was still alive and about once every couple of months or so we would be required to get on our finery, adopt our best behaviour, and pay an official visit. She was a true relic of the Victorian era and lived stubbornly alone in what I was certain was actually a museum, rather than a domicile.

The sitting room where we were received by her majesty and treated to afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches and buttery scones (not together) was littered with bric-a-brac of all sorts. Some were fascinating, some scary. I particularly remember being intrigued by what I think were clams shells containing miniature replicas of famous buildings of the world – Rome’s Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, St. Paul’s Cathedral etc.

And, of course, there was a dresser full of highly decorative plates and serving dishes, including several examples of Willow Pattern.

This, I was told, was what everyone in China ate from. (I remember being confused as to what they ate from these plates, because I was simultaneously being lectured on not wasting food and eating the more nasty things for dinner because the starving Chinese would lap them up.)

Also, my great-great aunt would tell us the ancient Chinese story behind the design.

Chinese Willow Pattern ain’t Chinese, at all. It was invented in the late 18th century in England, probably in the famous Spode pottery works. Back then chinoiserie was a huge fad, prompted by Queen Victoria's husband Albert. It is unknown in China.

If you want genuine Willow Pattern, go home. There is none here.

P.S. If you are interested in Chinese pottery which is from China, then I recommend a trip to the town of Jingdezhen (景德镇 - jǐng dé zhèn) in Jiangxi Province. The town is famous for its 1,700 year old porcelain industry. There are dozens, if not more, workshops where you can watch the craftsmen and women at work.  And, of course, buy the results of their labours. Be careful. Some prices are astronomical, but there is also plenty of choice in lower price brackets.

I’m not particularly interested in porcelain, but I found the place fascinating. On the edge of town there is a large pottery workshop operating as a living museum, where they only produce their wares by the ancient, traditional methods. I spent hours in there watching the artists patiently and carefully decorating and carving. And yes, I did buy some.

Porcelain_Workshop_Jingdezhen_Jiangxi_China.jpg.9eab54917843d23f1b4632ceb61c94cc.jpg

Thank you, Liuzhou, for this Willow story. I love history and find it especially fascinating how things go from one culture to another, anthropologically speaking.

I'm not particularly interested in pottery, either, except for Rosenthal pre-WWII German porcelain, but seeing your photo of the young woman hand-painting such an intricate pattern reminded me of how much I admire the skills of those who do such work. 

As an aside, I can just about see you as a child in your great-great aunt's sitting room, your description is that evocative. I bet the cucumber sandwiches and butter scones were delicious. 

• Like 2

I didn't know about the Willow Pattern. Thanks.

The way Chinese porcelain moved around the world along with its stories and how it inspired spin-offs like the Delft and Staffordshire tin-glazed earthenware is fascinating to me. I'm not a huge fan of the really busy, multi-colour stuff but the skill is certainly impressive. Then again, to my mind, Chinese pottery peaked in the Song Dynasty, which inspired my username.

image.thumb.png.114eb7003234d93cb95454ff9e4d366d.png

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:57 PM, liuzhou said:

If you want genuine Willow Pattern, go home. There is none here

Before COVID my granddaughter visited Jingdezhen.  She was favorably impressed.  I'm not sure she brought any pieces home though.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Here are a few snapshot scans of predigital photos taken in Jingdezhen in 1998. Sorry about the quality but they are almost prehistoric! They may have been taken with my Ming Dynasty camera.

20210127_091911c.thumb.jpg.39f853321a32a0c666855be092d8c191.jpg.295716e7586ebe5bcfe586826478d70c.jpg

20210127_091943a.thumb.jpg.5d24b48c9cd0a3f387c749419d017124.jpg.f48654613bb6dfffc658894545699209.jpg

20210127_091943b.thumb.jpg.c0eabb5434ddb1c3c69a86596f881481.jpg.cb7e923df868069331c04f290cce85b6.jpg

20210127_091911d.thumb.jpg.722ebcb200e0edf51058924406a7d32f.jpg.b87fdfe497414354c89fe181f0d49fec.jpg

20210127_091943c.thumb.jpg.2c00bc87d7c9190329b73833d1d29270.jpg.645dfa83e6c8488b7af803e19d717ef8.jpg

20210127_092043d.thumb.jpg.eb9d5a8e457803f8eb8aa9152e985438.jpg.60ae9def593a722be9d36d8c7ab0f538.jpg

20210122_180052a.thumb.jpg.9045d5521e2c134aacee58e358e6872b.jpg.185fcdcf7c8ad6a8d29df3730ca117b9.jpg

20210127_092109c.thumb.jpg.310ed6ac5385c1fc661311cece9aecb9.jpg.3545fdfeb3b9d1b1891cee1e1e2cd5a0.jpg

It may not look like it but they all contain porcelain used in culinary affairs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto