• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

7 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

I love YUZU!!!  Is it just my frozen yuzu puree - it's like a block of ice and super hard to chip off.  not like my other purees at all.  Is this normal for yuzu?  TIA

I used valrhona yuzu inspiration here. 

With frozen purées, I tend to thaw them first - at least partially - rather than chipping at ice blocks ;) 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

With frozen purées, I tend to thaw them first - at least partially - rather than chipping at ice blocks ;) 

that makes sense - I don't want to thaw a 1 kg block of puree to chip out 50 g to make a ganache - its a first world problem. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Having just finished making a yuzu and ginger ganache, I can attest that chipping off the yuzu purée was quite a task.  I use one of those "chippers" intended to break up blocks of chocolate.  My yuzu purée has quite a lot of solids in it, but is still very hard.  The recipe calls for reducing it by half to intensify the flavor--and get rid of some of the water content.

OOOOhh yuzu ginger!!!  that sounds yummy!  I have never thought to reduce the water content.  How did you add the ginger?  fresh - powder -steep some in the cream? Thanks for the tips

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Is it just my frozen yuzu puree - it's like a block of ice and super hard to chip off.  not like my other purees at all.

You can use a oyster knife with a "covered" handle (don't know the English term), like this one (first one I found with google).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

46 minutes ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

OOOOhh yuzu ginger!!!  that sounds yummy!  I have never thought to reduce the water content.  How did you add the ginger?  fresh - powder -steep some in the cream? Thanks for the tips

It is a wonderful combination.  Recipe is from Ewald Notter.  Yes, the ginger is chopped, then steeped for a long time in the hot cream (I understand that you cannot add ginger to a dairy-based product as it will curdle, somehow steeping avoids that).  Notter uses white for the shells.  I usually use white (or Cacao Barry's caramelized white), but it also works in dark.

18 hours ago, Nickos said:

Some of my work from last months, posting weekly new recipes on my instagram feed.

www.instagram.com/nickkunstchocolates

bonbon11 (1 van 1)-97.jpg

Beautiful chocolates and some interesting moulds! Who are the manufacturers for the triangle and crescent moon moulds? The triangle mould looks like it could be difficult to work with and to clean. Also please share what flavors are in each piece. Thanks!

More nice shine. It’s been cold and dry, that probably helps. 010098C3-1169-4547-BF74-573DD72F66B6.jpeg.1b1c92f545ceeae4b3c98a0dbdfbb667.jpeg

48E53733-20ED-4BB8-A8B6-F3679346D512.jpeg.71d335bf09c6f0b87ed16579ebab966a.jpeg

892EA870-342A-4820-A239-67AEC2930D5F.jpeg.2969ea0cc25e0690873a35c567d5e0db.jpeg

C5F6F4B9-8F78-4201-95BD-A7D088B2E74B.jpeg.38957df57c383fe6d731c37126a5e4c7.jpeg

I was worried about the orange ones, my cb smears didn’t crystallize as quickly as desireable, but I only lost a few to flaking

flavors are salted caramel, cardamom, orange, and honey 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 8

Gorgeous! I'm about to head into an Australian Summer and I predict an absolute nightmare trying to get things to cooperate. 35 celcius + and 80% + humidity is not a good combo for chocolate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Gorgeous! I'm about to head into an Australian Summer and I predict an absolute nightmare trying to get things to cooperate. 35 celcius + and 80% + humidity is not a good combo for chocolate.

The #1 reason why I haven't defected to Oz 😂

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for launch and the excitement is getting there! Preparing the Christmas collection despite the Australian Summer doing its best to stop me. Black Forest and Pavlova Snowmen

87562E8A-4FA9-4A2E-8B49-DCA329C5A1AF.jpeg

25028E77-C68C-4F3D-84FE-DADD183206D0.jpeg

7D7E3794-7D8E-4750-B6A3-1FB70376F422.jpeg

• Like 8

I know shiny metallic effects have been discussed here but omg you guys I think I just cracked it!

You spray a thin layer of clear cocoa butter, you let it set dry and then you brush highlighter dust, that's it! I've been trying to obtain that finish since forever with a consistant result!

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

@Muscadelle, beautiful but I am confused.  Does the color come from the "highlighter dust" or do you also spray with metallic cocoa butter?  And can you explain what the dust is, some sort of luster dust?

It’s clear cocoa butter with not color. The highlighter dust I used is from Roxy and rich but I guess you can use any brand. The difference between highlighter dust and sparkling powder is that you won’t get a full coverage with sparkling powder, you won’t be able to apply it with a brush either. 

I’m pretty sure you can get a good  result too by spraying a thin layer of clear cocoa butter and spray some loose sparkling powder on it before it fully crystallize (Otherwise it won’t stick to it, contrary to the highlighter dust) but you won’t have full coverage.

I’m making some tests with light pink and  white sparkling dust with a white chocolate she’ll. I’ll post the results!

• Like 2
  • Similar Content

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Lisa Shock
      The basic formula for these cakes was developed by the wife of a mayonnaise salesman in an effort to help him out. I did a bit of research, and have found many variations. Early variants generally involve using less cocoa, which I cannot recommend. Later variants involve using cold water instead of boiling, adding salt, and additional leaveners. I personally do not feel that any additional salt is needed, as mayonnaise and that famous, tangy brand of salad dressing (sometimes the label just says 'Dressing') both contain a fair amount of salt. If you are using homemade mayonnaise or a low sodium product, an eighth teaspoon of salt may boost the flavor a bit. And, of course, somewhere along the way fans who prefer a certain salad dressing over mayonnaise started using it to make this cake. Nowadays, the Hellman's website has a different formula -one with added eggs and baking powder. I have not tried this newer formulation.

Some versions of this recipe specify sifted cake flour. This will result in a very light cake with virtually no structural integrity, due to the paucity of eggs in this recipe compared to a regular cake. Cupcakes made this way give beautifully light results. However, every time I try to make a traditional 8" double layer cake with cake flour, I experience collapse. I recommend AP flour or at least a mix of cake and pastry flour.

I have never made this with a gluten-free flour replacer. This recipe does not have very much structural integrity and as such does not make a good candidate for a gluten-free cake.

I have made this cake many times, the type of sandwich spread you choose will affect the outcome. Made with mayonnaise, the cake has a good chocolate flavor and moistness. Made with that famous, tangy, off-white salad dressing that gets used as a sandwich spread, the cake has a subtle bit of extra brightness to the flavor. If one chooses to use a vegan mayonnaise, the result is tasty but lacking a little in structure; I would bake this in a square pan and frost and serve from the pan.

The cocoa you use will also affect the flavor.  For a classic, homey flavor use a supermarket brand of cocoa. To add a little sophistication, use better, artisan type cocoa and use chocolate extract instead of the vanilla extract.

Supposedly, the traditional frosting for this cake should have a caramel flavor. Look for one where you actually caramelize some sugar first. Modern recipes for the icing seem like weak imitations to me; using brown sugar as the main flavor instead of true caramel.

Chocolate Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing Cake
      makes enough for two 8" round pans, or a 9" square (about 7 cups of batter)

2 ounces/56g unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa
      1 cup/236g boiling water
      1 teaspoon/4g regular strength vanilla extract
      3/4 cup/162g mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or salad dressing (the tangy, off-white, sandwich spread type dressing)
      10.5ounces/300g all-purpose flour
      7 ounces/200g sugar
      0.35ounce/10g baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350°.
      Grease or spray two 8" round pans or an equivalent volume square or rectangle.
      Place the cocoa in a medium (4-5 cup) bowl. Add the hot water and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Allow to cool down a little,  then add the vanilla extract and the mayonnaise or salad dressing spread. Beat well to eliminate lumps. In the bowl of an electric mixer or larger regular bowl if making by hand, sift in the flour and add the sugar and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients to distribute evenly. Slowly beat in the cocoa mixture. Mix until the batter has an even color. Pour immediately into the pans. If making two 8" rounds, weigh them to ensure they contain equal amounts.
      Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the center of the top springs back when touched lightly. (The toothpick test does NOT work well on this moist cake!) Allow the cake to cool a little and shrink from the sides of the pan before removing. Removal is easier while still a little warm.
      Good with or without frosting.
      Good beginner cake for kids to make.

• By Kasia
      I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By MadelaineCriden
      Chocolate Dipped Pecan Meringues
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      What I love about these cookies is not only that they’re easy and liked by all, but also that they have a certain adult quality about them. Its that almost-burnt flavor, that caramelized, brown sugar taste that deepens and balances the sweetness. They are crunchy, light, and even great without being dipped in chocolate, white or dark. Serve a few in a bowl with some raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries, add a little whipped cream or ice cream, and you have a more formal dessert. Whether you nibble on them with friends while watching football or enjoy them crushed into ice cream, cuddled up with a good book, enjoy!
      Chocolate-Dipped Pecan Meringues
      Makes 25-30 1 1/2” cookies
      1/2 cup pecans
      2 egg whites
      pinch salt
      1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
      1/8 cup white chocolate chips
      1/8 cup dark or milk chocolate chips (your choice)
      Method:
      1. Preheat oven to 385 degrees and lightly grease baking sheet, or better yet, use a silpat baking mat on top of the baking sheet.
      2. Pulse pecans in a food processor (preferably a small one) until coarsely ground. Take care not to over pulse, or else oils will release and coarse texture will be lost.
      3. Whip eggs whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form and add sugar slowly, while continuing to beat whites. Beat until stiff peaks form.
      4. Immediately fold in pecans, taking care not to deflate the egg whites (the sugar does help to stabilize them, though).
      5. Drop or pipe about a tablespoonful of batter onto baking sheet or mat, and leave 1” of room between cookies. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn oven down to 285 degrees. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden all over. Cookies will still be slightly soft to the touch, but they will harden as they cool out of the oven, yielding a crunchy texture.
      6. While cookies cool, melt the chocolates in separate dishes in the microwave. Dip bottoms of the cookies in melted chocolate once completely cool and firm and place them on wax paper, then in the fridge, so the chocolate can harden.
      Note: white chocolate-dipped cookies will not need to be refrigerated to harden, but the milk or dark chocolate-dipped ones probably will.
      Enjoy!
      Maddy
      CookLikeMad.com
      Keywords: Dessert, American, Easy, Snack, Cookie
      ( RG2096 )