• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Dcarch - What is the stuffing in the tofu? Looks amazing.

Thanks.

Portobello mushrooms for flavor and color

Royal mushroom for meaty chewy-ness

A little blue cheese, garlic and pepper for added flavor

All chopped and combined with high gluten flour.

dcarch

dcarch – intricate and beautiful as always

Chris Taylor – agreed, and thanks!

String beans with roasted chile sauce and pork, stir-fried with plenty of garlic, seasoned with fish sauce and soy sauce, finished with handfuls of Thai basil, and served with jasmine rice. A favorite weeknight meal adapted from Kasma Loha-Unchit's It Rains Fishes.

Made some Spicy Red Pepper Shrimp skewers. For some reason, it was like 70 degrees last night in Dallas. And that's a great grilling opportunity I didn't want to waste.

Spicy Red Pepper Shrimp Skewers.JPG

That looks utterly delicious. Tell me there was a lager involved.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I made an improvement on an old standby last night... I have a vegetarian friend visiting, and when she comes I often make pasta with zucchini, white beans, and rosemary (with lots of garlic and olive oil, and a splash of white balsamic)... Last night I had a bit of ricotta, and so I added it... But then, the revelation. I was out of romano, and so I grated up some ricotta salata that had been languishing in the fridge... Wow! It was a revelation -- added just the right mix of sharp and salty but creamy... It really took the dish someplace better than it has been before.

Finally remembered to bring my camera to a dinner. Smuggled back 1.2 kilos of Iberico Bellota ham from Spain, muhaha!

Foie Gras Amuse

Onion cream, sherry and pickled mustard syrup, Iberico crumbs

5271893396_e8905a322b_z.jpg

Scallop sashimi

Charred satsuma buerre blanc

5271893774_c09a765b90_z.jpg

Root vegetables

Baby carrots, parsnips, beets, green cauliflower, preserved lemon dressing, beet "soil"

5271894180_9b6939093b_z.jpg

Carbonara

Golden yolk noodles, soft jidori egg, Iberico Bellota ham chips, herbs

5271284233_0f11085242_z.jpg

72 Hour Short Rib

Pomme puree, baby onions, carrots, shitakes, beurre rouge

5271911092_463bbbc346_z.jpg

Candy Bar

Soft chocolate ganache, shortbread, slated caramel, almond butter powder, vanilla ice cream

4277019443_05bc07009e_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I’ve been MIA – due to being busy at work and with holiday prep, but just dropped in real quick to see what everyone was doing. Wow! Some amazing food, folks!

Prawn – everything is gorgeous, as always, but that pastrami was astounding! So juicy and rich looking.

Dakki – wonderful looking chorizo quesadillas! And the salsa sounds great.

Bruce – how about a little explanation of the sherry-garlic sauce on those delicious looking pork chops? It sounds like something that we’d love.

dcarch – love the chorus line of quail! And the bread???? – kilt me DAID!!!

Rico – your panini is PERFECT!

Scotty Boy - wow, that looks like an amazing meal!

Bruce – how about a little explanation of the sherry-garlic sauce on those delicious looking pork chops? It sounds like something that we’d love.

Kim: Thanks! Brown pork chops in a skillet, reduce heat, and then cook the chops through with garlic and dry white wine. Remove the chops and deglaze the pan with amontillado. Add olive oil and more minced garlic, cook until the sauce is syrupy, and then finish with chopped parsley and lemon juice. Or just look in Bittman’s How to Cook Everything, if you happen to have that book. :smile:

An unusually conventional dinner for us tonight: roasted chicken thighs with tarragon butter; spaghetti with home-made pesto; and eternal cucumbers.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

More ugly food -

ribs.JPG

SRF Baby Backs, given about 20-30 minutes of heavy apple/cherry/hickory smoke then cooked for 24 hours at 145F (I threw these on after grilling some homemade burgers the night before, which I didn't bother to photograph since I massacred them).

Served with a traditional creamy coleslaw (red/green cabbage, apple cider vin, sugar, red pepper flake, green onions) and a Siduri Pinot (Sta. Rita Hills).

I haven't been that wowed with the SRF ribs; I prefer the meatier loin back ribs you can get in the cryovac at costco.

Todays dinner was an experiment that started a few weeks ago when I decided to take the last bit of Sauerbratten and make dumplings out of it with Wonton wrappers. Today I carmelised two large onions with some garlic and added a touch of worchestershire sauce and equal parts beef and chicken broth...aka onion soup. I added the frozen dumplings and served with a dollop of sour cream on top.

this will happen again....

and I have about a cup of soup left to start gravy for the roast on christmas

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

#56 from Larousse Gastronomique: mole pablano from the convent of Santa Rosa, mostly for the sake of using up the leftover roast turkey.

Tomorrow: poulet au pot.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

IMG_2675v2.jpg

Shrimp with rajas.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Assuming that most of the people that belong to Gully are Advanced Novice (not Chefs), I think this would be a very worthy subject to delve into. It would be great to include a shopping list, ome prep techniques, and even maybe an in a pinch alternate of substitute for harder to procure ingredients. Sice I started reading the post on eGullet the stories that are more home based are the ones that catch my interest the most.

From last week, chicken pot pie and stock for freezer...

chicken pot pie.jpg

stock.jpg

Sunday's dinner was braised country-style pork ribs, potatoes au gratin and peas. The ribs were braised in a sweet onion gravy with some of the stock I made last week with just a little Creole style mustard and a little preserves that I put up over the summer. It was all good, but the pork was amazing.

country style pork ribs.jpg

potatoes au gratin Dec-10.jpg

Tried to make classic shortbread last night, and it was a disaster -- twice. I have no idea what went wrong, and I even followed the recipe to a t. Will try again 1 more time using a different recipe.

Rhonda

Scottyboy, you're eating well, it looks like (intentional massive understatement).

And Dakki, that shrimp looks fantastic; like something I'd eat a helluva lot of, given the chance.

I'm late on the butternut squash soup bandwagon, so to make it at least a little interesting, I halved and smoked the squash first before souping it. I'll probably make that a routine for this soup.

Smoked Butternut Squash Soup.JPG

Edited by Rico (log)

I'm late on the butternut squash soup bandwagon, so to make it at least a little interesting, I halved and smoked the squash first before souping it. I'll probably make that a routine for this soup.

Smoked Butternut Squash Soup.JPG

Looks edible. /understatement.

How'd you smoke the squash?

Edited by Dakki (log)

Looks delicious, also maybe mess around with frying those sage leaves, then they will crumble into the soup and it looks kinda cool. Never smoked the squash before hand, need to try that.

Thank you kindly, and that's a fantastic idea. Something new every day ...

How'd you smoke the squash?

I've got a brinkman wet smoker, had some hickory on hand for some pork ribs awhile back, so I put it to use for about three hours. I didn't really worry about the temp - it never exceeded 180, so when I finished smoking it, I put it in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes just to make sure it was soft. Now the whole house smells like hickory. It's super. And just for the helluvit, I took a picture.

Smoking.JPG

IMG_2755v2.jpg

Yesterday's leftovers in taco form.