• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Roasted chicken: rubbed with cinnamon, ground dry ginger, cumin and olive oil paste

Eggplant “Fatte”: Small eggplant fried whole in olive oil then stewed in a garlicky tomato and olive oil sauce. Served topped with crispy toasted pita bread pieces, yogurt seasoned with garlic and S&P and fried pine nuts.

Plain white rice cooked in samneh.

Dessert: a fabulous artisanal chocolate from a local chocolate maker with a glass of port. The chocolate I bought was caramel/cashews/Jack Daniels/Fleur De Sel.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

sunday night. post sopranos and bottle of wine planned for dinner:

sugar snap peas (from garden!) blanched for 30 secs. tossed w/olive oil & a squeeze of oj.

golden beets that i roasted earlier in the day, sliced and left to marinate with raspberry vinegar, fruity greek olive oil, shallot, tarragon & dill. topped with goat cheese

seared scallops topped on the plate in drunken (and surprising delicious) inspiration - drizzled very slightly with truffle honey. outstanding with the beets. i should drink more often.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

sunday night. post sopranos and bottle of wine planned for dinner:

sugar snap peas (from garden!) blanched for 30 secs. tossed w/olive oil & a squeeze of oj.

golden beets that i roasted earlier in the day, sliced and left to marinate with raspberry vinegar, fruity greek olive oil, shallot, tarragon & dill. topped with goat cheese

seared scallops topped on the plate in drunken (and surprising delicious) inspiration - drizzled very slightly with truffle honey. outstanding with the beets. i should drink more often.

Our Soprano Supper was a very retro ravioli, meatballs and sausage. Comfort food for the masses as we watched Tony and crew! Come on....you can't go wrong with meatballs! :biggrin:

Come on....you can't go wrong with meatballs!  :biggrin:

we usually watch it at 9 (we're on the west coast so it's available at 6) but it seems wrong to watch it before dark, so i always force SO to wait. but sunday,

since it was the finale, i crumbled.

i've learned though...no eating while watching :blink: i think those meatballs(though i have no doubt were delicious given your blog :smile: ) would have put me over the edge. i have enough trouble watching tony eat 6 portions of food per episode. especially when he's watching TV hunched over, holding the full ice-cream bowl over his belly.

but then, i'm a delicate flower :laugh:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i8091.jpg

i8092.jpg

Garlic and Lemon Marinated Grilled Center Cut Pork Chop and Risotto of Israeli Couscous with Leeks, Mushrooms, Tomato and Lemon Zest.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I plated my dinner tonight to present to all of you, but alas-my wife took the camera out of town with her.

Dinner tonight here way down on Lonely Street consisted of:

Hearts of Romaine Salad with grapefruit, avacado, and a strawberry vinegarette (it worked very well together, thank you)

French Bread from Lejeune's Bakery in Jeanerette, LA

Sliced Tasso, fresh shrimp, onions, red bell peppers, garlic sauteed in evoo and finished with fresh cream from Mauthe's Dairy-served over penne pasta. Very Spicy, but not too.

This was a great meal. Plenty of leftovers for lunch.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ground lamb patties topped with fresh tomato, onion, oregano, lemon juice, and crumbled feta

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Had a ton of leftover roast chicken, so made "backup broth" with the carcass, and Diana Kennedy's "enchiladas sencillas" with the meat.

Hey, does quiche freeze well? I have this bunch of sorrel I want to make a sorrel-onion tart with, but there's no way I can eat it anytime soon.

Had a ton of leftover roast chicken, so made "backup broth" with the carcass, and Diana Kennedy's "enchiladas sencillas" with the meat.

Hey, does quiche freeze well? I have this bunch of sorrel I want to make a sorrel-onion tart with, but there's no way I can eat it anytime soon.

Quiche freezes fine, but put it in a freezer bag and wrap it good with aluminum foil, the heavy kind.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quiche freezes fine, but put it in a freezer bag and wrap it good with aluminum foil, the heavy kind.

Thanks!

Even better, freeze the quiche filling (flat in a ziploc, freezer bag preferably) and pie crust separately. That way you can make the filling now, crust whenever or at the time of baking. Of course, it is also freezable put together, raw or cooked. If cooked, you could even cut, freeze, then wrap individual servings (put the slices on a cookie sheet, separated, aka IQF) for easy meals, lunches on the go, etc.

Dinner tonight here way down on Lonely Street consisted of:

Hearts of Romaine Salad with grapefruit, avacado, and a strawberry vinegarette (it worked very well together, thank you)

French Bread from Lejeune's Bakery in Jeanerette, LA

Sliced Tasso, fresh shrimp, onions, red bell peppers, garlic sauteed in evoo and finished with fresh cream from Mauthe's Dairy-served over penne pasta. Very Spicy, but not too.

This was a great meal. Plenty of leftovers for lunch.

Oh, Dinner at Cafe Lonely St.

Where there are only tables for one

But the food is fine if not divine!

The wife left you, she took the kids and the camera...but have no fear: THEY WILL BE BACK! :biggrin: And then you'll have a reason to have a great celebratory feast. So, its all good.

Our 'ragazzi' all went up to the country to enjoy the sunshine...they even took the cats, so I share your pain. We had some soy/sesame porkchops over a bib lettuce salad, very tasty.

Israeli Couscous Risotto added to RecipeGullet. It was really good

Thanks for the recipe. I love Israeli couscous and make it often. I made a batch of chicken stock over the weekend, so guess what I am having for dinner. :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

Had some leftover roasted chicken and had just made an herb focaccia. So we had chicken salad sandwiches on focaccia with fresh tomatoes and chilies from the grarden

i8179.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

and this runny, oozy Italian 3 leche cheese, that I do not want to remember the name of because then I would get it every day!

Was it La Tur? from Piemonte cow, goat ,sheep blend- really great

about a 2-1/2" diameter.

and this runny, oozy Italian 3 leche cheese, that I do not want to remember the name of because then I would get it every day!

Was it La Tur? from Piemonte cow, goat ,sheep blend- really great

about a 2-1/2" diameter.

hello! no, it was an Italian name, about a 5 inch square. and now you gone and made me hungry!!

Romaine Salad with avacado and grapefruit and a swell balsamic vinegarette

Pan Fried Catfish

Corn off the cob sauteed until warm with butter and garlic

Chocolate Pecan Chess Pie for dessert.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Pan roasted salmon over a chopped baby spinach and lentil salad. The lentils were this beautiful orange and yellow color, some sort of Indian dahl (spelling?) mix, with the green spinach, lots of garlic. Yum. The 'wild' salmon tasted..well...like...water. Completely tasteless, what a disappointment.

Dispersed my sorrows with some cherries.

i8373.jpg

A friend brought over some crabs from Makassar!

I prepared them in tons of garlic, ginger, scallions, butter and oyster sauce.

Quite tasty indeed.

(edited, posted a better photo)

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Those crabs look awesome.

I had a nice thing happen. My farmstand lady caught me inspecting the beet tops on the beets I was about to buy and gave me about 2 lbs of tops her other customers had asked to be trimmed, for free. I made canneloni stuffed with beet tops, prosciutto & ricotta, with tomato butter sauce. Amazing stuff. It baffles me that people will buy swiss chard and toss those beautiful beet tops...there's practically no difference in most recipes. Heh, more for me.

(edited, for they are crabs, not carbs.)

Edited by Behemoth (log)