• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Pea soup

made with my brand spankin new immersion blender

that i bought 'cause of eG

yummmm

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Crab Cake Po' Boys with Cranberry Mustard sauce on the side

Sauteed Asparagus with butter, lemon and a little dry minced onion

Spaghetti squash with a tomato sauce containing onion, turkey andouille, pignoli nuts, garlic and some red wine(sauce thickened with egg)

Mango Tangerine Sorbet with a Lemon Almond Biscotti

Edited by dumpling (log)

I've been working my way very slowly through David Thompson's Thai cookbook. This, of course, would be the pad thai*. (Actually, it was lunch...)

i8896.jpg

* erm, subtly enhanced, see Food Photography thread. The taste, however, was all natural and 100% awesome. :wink:

i8903.jpg

Sliced striploin salad with shoyu and wasabi.

Mesclun salad with roasted yellow pepper vinaigrette.

Turnip cake with shoyu.

Beef consomme with scallions and coriander.

Sliced rice noodle rolls with dried shrimp atop asparagus.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Behemoth, thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that thread, and later I'm going to take the time to read through it carefully. Your beautiful photo really caught my attention.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thai theme continues -- shrimp and tofu curry. I can't blame dave thompson for this one though, it was a hybrid of a bunch of recipes so I could use up stuff that was in my fridge. Came out pretty well, too, though now I am absolutely dying for a hamburger.

i8942.jpg

Javanese Salmon and Shrimp served atop Basmati and Wild Rice over wilted spinach. Surrounded by Roasted Sweet potato Salad in chili lime dressing.

For dessert, Three Layer Parfait: Working from bottom to top- first, berry medley of strawberry, blueberry and raspberry slightly saucy/gelatiny; then fresh cut strawberries; followed by lemon mousse. All topped by a lemon almond biscotti with a fortune.

helenas, when I glanced at your photo without reading your post, I thought that was a pizza made of eggs. :blink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Last night: Catfish rubbed with Penzey's Northwoods seasoning and seared in butter, with a tender green salad. Followed by mustard seed-laced olives, cashews, and two Camparis-with-soda-and-a-twist-of-lime at a party.

That's a lovely photograph, nemissa.

Welcome to eGullet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bear. No kidding. Braised in Belgian ale and Burgundy with oyster mushrooms, served over mashed Idaho potatoes (very creamy) with lots of the rich broth spooned over all. Not at all gamey, very tender.

This was served after tomatoes with mozzarella and basil. Fresh and lovely.

And afterward, lemon and hazelnut dacquoise.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

spiced lentil and root vegetable soup served with spiced/honey butter :wub:

baked pasta in tomato/sausagemeat sauce (so much better than it sounds :unsure: )

semolina with strawberry marmalade

hehe, edited to say I'm making roast cauliflower tommorow! thank heavens I can nibble the burned/crunchy bits still.

Edited by binkyboots (log)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

We (some friends and myself) made grilled skirt steak packed with peppercorns, with a stew of tomatoes, green beans, corn, and okra. We had people over from just about every continent and everyone loved it. Oh, and fresh baked bread.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Belated Father's Day dinner up at the lake for my parents and aunt and uncle:

Composed salad of mixed greens out of dad's garden, red onion, baby grape tomatos, cambozola and toasted pine nuts

Mushroom risotto (cremini, porcini, chaterelles, shitake)

Pan seared duck breast with a sour cherry sauce, asparagus

Homemade red currant pie (mom's contribution!)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

last night was a kind of burrito night:

tortillas (the uncooked kind. there's nothing better then cooking and eating them while they're still hot. yummy, crispy goodness.)

carne asada (costco never ceases to amaze me)

homeade guacamole (like there should be any other kind? :wink: )

sauteed bell peppers (red and yellow) and onions

sour cream

rice

and the best part was that there was enough left over for me to make a couple of burritos for today's lunch too!

Halibut on Grainy Mustard Potato Salad with Truffle Nage

(Copied from Rick Moonen from his Chefs A' Field appearance)

The fish was seared and crispy on a small bed of potatoes tossed with mustard, shallots and creme fraiche. Moonen used a mushroom stock with his sauce, but I used chicken stock I had on hand in the freezer. I also substituted Halibut for the striped bass around which the show was based.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I did buy his book "How to Cook Everything"

Rsincere - i have that bittman book - and it's great. i think his process for adding new things to a recipe is a really great way to figure out what flavors go together.

i think the dinner doctor should go on sabbatical.

seriously - tell us what you have around and we can help you make meals that are much tastier, probably less expensive and genuinely homemade. if you save the dinty moore and soup packets - you can turn to them in emergency situations for meals.

edited to add: dinner last night was 6 gross waffle fries, and too much bud light. shhh

I hope you really meant that, because I'm screwed for the rest of the week. I stubbornly kept cooking my preplanned recipes from that cookbook, but after a beef stroganoff that tasted like onion dip, and turkey hash that tasted like prison food, I gave up!

The two recipes I had left were "Mock Chicken Marbella," so I have a pound of chicken breast strips, and "Cuban Picadillo" which called for a pound of ground beef round but I have chuck.

For my pantry, I have most spices and staples, along with fresh basil, parsley, tarragon, and thyme. I have canned vegetable stock and tomato sauce/diced tomatoes/tomato paste. I have a ton of garlic and a knob of ginger and 3 shallots and 3 onions and two scallions and four tomatoes and two turnips and a bag of Yukon Gold and some baby red potatoes and some oranges and a lemon. I have an open bottle of red wine and also dry sherry. I don't have milk or cream but I have powdered dry milk and butter and a cup of sour cream. I have vinegars and seasonings like soy sauce and worcestershire. I have tortillas and frozen green beans and frozen peas. I have frozen shredded mozzarella, cheddar, Parmesan. I have arborio rice, jasmine rice, converted rice, and many different kinds of pasta.

For plain meat in the freezer besides what I mentioned above, I have 12 oz. tilapia filets, a slab of mystery meat, a round steak, some chicken thighs/legs, some kind of pork butt roast thing, 2 lbs stew meat, 2 lbs chicken breast strips, and I have about every kind of dried bean they have at Walmart.

I also have $7 to last until Friday, but this should be plenty to eat. Anyone care to help me with my pantry challenge? If this is hijacking the thread, feel free to PM me!

Edited by RSincere (log)
Rachel Sincere