• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Thursday night:

miso marinated lemon sole

hakusai (Chinese cabbage) and aburage (tofu pockets) simmered with lots of ginger in a soy-mirin-dashi broth

gobo (burdock root) and cucumber salad

satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) gohan (rice) with goma-shio (sesame and salt)

dessert:

Costco apple pie

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thursday

Black mushroom and chive bao

Cornish Game Hen brined then coated with JJ's Rub.

Leftover whipped sweet potatoes, and apple flavored long grain and wild rice.

Buttered corn

Ecce Panis Simple Foccacia(This company makes great bread!).

Am I the only one who's surprised that there's a Costco in Yokahama?

For Thursday night's dinner, I was craving Marcella Hazan's smothered onion sauce, so I made that, to go over spaghetti.

And I'm still working on my Thanksgiving menu, so I made ruthcooks' creamed spinach with bacon

and sauteed leeks with chestnuts from the November Food & Wine.

Very oniony meal. But what's wrong with that?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Am I the only one who's surprised that there's a Costco in Yokahama?

Actually the address is Machida, Tokyo but is right on the border of Hachioji and Sagamihara about 30 minutes from my house in Yokohma, they are also in Chiba, Kobe and Fukuoka! :biggrin:

Last night

soft shell tacos

ground beef filling made per Cook's Illustrated recipe

tortillas

lettuce

avocado slices

pico de gallo

Dessert:

congo bars

Mom's visiting this weekend, and she likes her food rather bland.

So tonight (Friday) I broiled some salmon steaks, and made up a creamy, horseradishy sauce from some issue of Bon Appetit a ways back. Mom didn't have any of the sauce, but that's okay.

And I steamed broccoli

and made some wild rice.

Tomorrow the in-laws are coming for dinner too, and I was going to make racks of lamb from Paula Wolfort's article in the October Food & Wine, but mom told me tonight that she hates lamb. What's a boy to do? I'll come up with something else.

Frozen burger?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saturday,

spent over 6 hours cheering on Julia (age 5) and her classmates in their yearly undokai (sports day event) and had made a huge bento (boxed) lunch for the family to eat during the break in festivities, so I wasn't up for a big dinner:

leftover spinach fritatta (made too much to put in the bento)

risotto with red wine, cabbage, leftover sausages and kidney beans

Saturday dinner:

Fed my visiting mom and the in-laws. It went without incident.

We had a salad (romaine with walnuts, cabrales and vinagrette);

gamelli pasta with eggplant, tomatoes and mozzarella;

and chicken fricassee with rosemary, garlic and white wine.

Last evening was Tri-Tip-Off 2003. Three tri-tips from three different sources, grilled over mesquite.

Tacos, is what we do with 'em, often.

Corn tortillas that were still warm in their package when purchased, heated and softened.

I made Victoria's salsa verde, and chunky tomato-jalapeno-white onion-cilantro salsa Mexicana, and guacamole, and refried pintos. A guest brought the smoky sort of regular salsa we all like at the local Mexican joint one canyon over.

Chips, also from the local Mexican joint, for the guacamole, which also was accompanied by very very good margaritas from the Consort's bottomless cocktail shaker -- shaken, with ice, is key, to me. Shaken and then poured over more ice in the glass, a glass which had spent time in the freezer before being dusted around the rim with a whisper of flaked sea salt. And not one of those cartoony glasses, neither, a nice dignified real-life glass with some self-respect. Overall just what one oughta get when one orders margarita-salt-rocks, but often does not.

Another guest made those flour tortilla wedges fried and topped with cinnamon-sugar, and a blackberry pie from blackberries hand-gathered on a recent Oregon trip.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

This being the Columbus Day weekend, it was the last opportunity for me to visit one of my favorite lobster places. So I did a quick drive around the corner (about two hours and 45 minutes to Noank, Connecticut, from Joisey), to bag a few lobsters. Abbott's is open from May to Columbus Day. It's a lobster joint with picnic tables on the water near Mystic. They have some other seafood, chowder, lobster rolls and things but the only thing I care for are the lobsters. These things are so incredibly sweet. In combination with some truly great drawn butter, they are an orgiastic delight. I was bringing some back to Jersey for dinner, so basically I ate really quickly, bought my other lobsters and steamers to take home and got back on the road for home.

I then brought them back to my friends' house for dinner where we steamed them up and served with corn and coleslaw. Lobster spray flying everywhere as we cracked our way through the feast. Josh was completely covered in lobster schmutz.

My friends then cooked up the shells for some stock(some of which I got to cart home).

This lobster, :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Sunday night:

lamb and turnip curry

green beans with black mustard seeds, chilies and garlic

yogurt

lettuce and tomato salad

Japanese rice

Dessert:

pineapple upside down cake, not as good as it could have been because I under cooked it and messed up the sugar quantity in the caramel like topping (used only 1/4 instead or 3/4 -- I really need to get my eyes checked again! :sad: )

The first two recipes were from Madhur Jaffrey

I just halfheartedly ate some corn flakes with skim milk. The house is empty of food and I'm not really that hungry after all the food this weekend. :hmmm:

Mussels steamed in Paumanok Festival Chardonnay with shallot and minced celery; finished the broth with homemade garlic/herb/lemon butter

Baguette (sourdough?) from Tom Cat Bakery

Salad (but of course) of watercress, radicchio, Boston, and parsley, with creamy roasted garlic dressing

To drink: Paumanok Barrel Select Chardonnay (better than the Festival)

i325.jpg

Sliced New York Strip Steak (Purchased from Stew Leonards) with Broccoli, Mashed Potatoes and sauteed Mushrooms (not shown)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here's what i cooked at work tonight. We had a sit-down for 28ppl. They got a little app, "Stuffed Bluecrab Ravoil w/ basil oil", and this pic is a "Filet's w/ mush/veal-demi Artheart Mashed and Baby-veg. Turned out kinda nice. And alittle MousseCake with Bal/reduction.

The only one picture i got is the Prime (used my sanyo8100), but i think chef's got them from the last time we served it. Anyhoot, :D

Prime%20tenderloin.jpg