• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Wow – you go away for a week and miss so much! So many amazing things – I can’t possibly comment on everything. We had a wonderful time on our little anniversary celebration at the Outer Banks. If you’d like to read my report I’ve blogged about it here.

Elise – as soon as I saw your salmon wrapped in Parma ham, I tucked away a few slices of prosciutto that I had left over to do that very thing! Wonderful idea and I can’t wait to try it.

Kryptos – that gorgeous plate belongs in the Sexy Tableware Topic thread.

Patrick – those Momofuko noodles sound fantastic! Are they really as easy as you say?

Dcarch – wonderful texture on your corned beef!

Bruce – I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but your photos just get better all the time. Did I miss you getting a new camera or something?

RRO – your little fried rolls? I don’t even know what some of the ingredients are, but my, they look good!

Enrique – welcome to the Dinner thread. Gorgeous meal. I am just in the middle of reading the Cooking of Spain and Portugal book from the old Time-Life series. Cocido Madrileño is one of the first recipes in the book! And your ham croquettes have me feeling weak in the knees!

Chris – yay! for finding ribs and for your final product. They look perfect – not over sauced and not overcooked! I’m not a fan of the ‘fall off the bone’ method of rib preparation (though I admit to being guilty of it at times). Bravo!

Prawn – your pastrami looks gorgeous and your descriptive ‘sticky juicy’ describes perfect pastrami to a T!

rooftop – wow! I’m sending Mr. Kim the link to your post about your corned beef/pastrami! He’s going to be very happy.

My first meal after coming back from our week in the Outer Banks Saturday:

med_gallery_3331_114_181467.jpg

BLT salad and Lemon-Garlic chicken, macaroni and cheese and roasted asparagus:

med_gallery_3331_114_139431.jpg

The chicken was a Southern Living recipe and just ok. Nothing special – I wouldn’t bother to make it again. I did like that it was a one pan on top of the stove recipe, but the flavor was meh.

I have somehow injured/strained my left shoulder/neck, so dinner was easy tonight – breakfast (my old stand by). Mr. Kim had a tomato, jalapeno and Provolone omelet and sausage:

med_gallery_3331_114_192065.jpg

You see how trifling being hurt makes me? I didn’t even bother to round off my rectangular sausage!

Mine was scrambled eggs, sausage and frozen French fries:

med_gallery_3331_114_184373.jpg

Kim Shook the Momofuku noodles are that easy, and they are really more-ish. I would add a bit more of the light soy sauce than he specifies - quite a bit more in my case, but it probably has to do with the kind of soy sauce you have (he recommends usukuchi, and I only had Pearl River - I don't know how different they are).

Kim -- hope you get well soon. That chicken looks like the soul of comfort food.

And PC's pastrami sandwich is a thing of beauty.

Tonight:

079-001.JPG

Pancetta, cippolini onions and sage.

167.JPG

Olive and orange salad -- Cara Cara orange sections; pitted green olives marinated in olive oil, garlic and Cara Cara orange juice; roasted shallots with sherry vinegar; and green garlic. Just something I thought of today, for Meatless Monday.

060-001.JPG

Spaghetti with white clam sauce, samphire and fried breadcrumbs with bottarga.

The clams were caught from Long Island Sound this weekend, courtesy of Blue Moon Fish at USGM. Sauce is fairly simple: clams, clam broth, garlic, olive oil, Italian parsley. The samphire and breadcrumbs were stirred in prior to service.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Kim - sorry to hear you're in pain. I like your breakfasts for dinner! I can imagine that'd be comforting.

Dinner here was a bit of an odd one. I had a cauliflower and a smoked trout to be used up, so made cauliflower kedgeree. Kedgeree, for those unfamiliar, is an Indianglish curry rice dish. Which is to say, a English imagination of an Indian dish, popular in the 19th century. It usually features hard boiled eggs and smoked cod or haddock, I think, but I had a trout so used that and fried it gently with mustard seeds, cinnamon, garam masala and turmeric.

And cauliflower in place of the rice. Not at all similar really, but tasty.

2012-03-27 at 19.02.55.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Great meals all!

All these Pastrami posts made me put a brisket in the bath...sous vide water bath that is. :raz: Will hopefully be ready tomorrow.

Kate, nice kedgeree. I usually make some with shrimp and rice but like the idea of cauliflower.

Max, beautiful plate as always. Are those oysters and ramps?

Now for some not so beautiful plates...

Leftover Chicken Biryani and Lamb Dhansak (spicy lentil based stew) I made as part of a Nowruz feast for a few friends.

DSCN0342.JPG

Rotisserie Chicken w/Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash

DSCN0340.JPG

Thanks for the nice words, Heidi, Paul, Patrick, Prawncrackers, Kim.

Prawncrackers, wonderful dishes. I would kill for that pastrami! I would love to have a smoker but living in an apartment makes it difficult....

mm8241 and dcarch, your works of art always amaze me. I only aspire to create dishes half as beautiful some day. Meanwhile....

Roasted red mullet, microwaved small potatoes, parsley & chive mayo. The mayo was made with an egg pasteurized sous-vide (pregnant wife!)

salmonete-asado-mayonesa-verde-y-patatas-nuevas-al-micro-eGullet.JPG

Stash – thanks for the good wishes – I’m much improved today. I just finished dinner, but I’d love a bite of that Pancetta and cippolini onion dish – it looks so good.

Spiced shrimp for dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_127811.jpg

With salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_203878.jpg

My plate with creamed corn and cheese potato casserole:

med_gallery_3331_114_588.jpg

Mr. Kim’s with kale (he’s back on the South Beach diet to try to get a handle on his blood sugar):

med_gallery_3331_114_108030.jpg

mm84321, if you don't mind me asking - what camera and lens are you using to shoot your food? Your food and your photography is artistry on a plate! Looking at your asparagus with cheese and egg yolk (something I have served dozens of times) made me wonder why I didn't think of presenting it like that?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Very nice, all. Love the red mullet, EnriqueB. And mm84321, that is just stunning!

And Norm..I just ate and now I also want a banh mi!

Dinner here was grilled (broiled) prawns, with butter, garlic, lemon and parsley. And taking inspiration from FrogPrincesse's fantastic Suzanne Goin thread, I made the persimmon, pomegranate and hazelnut salad.

2012-03-28 at 18.30.23.jpg

2012-03-28 at 18.30.35.jpg

Thank you rarerollingobject. Nearly everything is packed up for moving so no pictures and everything was off paper plates. We had crab legs and asparagus baked in the oven, steak and corn on the grill, boiled new potatoes, fried hush puppies and melon wrapped in proscuito and mint leaf. Asparagus served with a sauce made with butter soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. We had french bread made into garlic bread too.

Bruce – I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but your photos just get better all the time. Did I miss you getting a new camera or something?

Kim – Thank you, and I am glad that you are on the mend. I did get a new camera late last year, but what helped the most was building a cardboard-box-and-leftover-tissue-paper light box. The halogen lights under the hood used to turn everything yellow.

I love spiced shrimp. What spices did you use?

Rare RO – Prawns and a fun salad, the perfect summer meal. Too bad it isn’t summer here, despite the balmy weather.

EnriqueB – Mmmm, coconut curry prawns. Gosh, I’m craving everyone’s shrimp meals, maybe I should do something about that, but not tonight.

Puerco a la Mexicana and arroz blanco with roasted chile Poblano rajas. Da boyz would have liked cowboy beans, too, but oh well.

p1019291170-4.jpg

RRO – your prawns are so gorgeous – not to mention that serious glow of light you have. Is that sunshine or artificial? I want all my food to look like that!

Patrick – I forgot to say thank you for the response regarding the noodles, I’ll be trying them soon!

Bruce – hmmm. You got any directions for one of those light box thingies? Seriously, I think it’s even more than the light. Your angles and the crispness are just perfect. RE: spices – considering where you live and where I spent every vacation of my young life (eastern shore VA/MD), I bet you can take a guess what spice mix I used on the shrimp :wink::laugh: !

I seem to be obsessing about light tonight.

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_25118.jpg

Soup beans and corn muffins and NY Times hamburgers. Mr. Kim’s with Provolone, bacon, caramelized onions and jalapenos and kale:

med_gallery_3331_114_170765.jpg

Mine with American cheese, bacon and caramelized onions:

med_gallery_3331_114_272259.jpg

Those NY Times burgers are just incredible and I can’t figure out why they are so much better.

Bruce – hmmm. You got any directions for one of those light box thingies?

Sure - DIY $10 macro studio. And thank you again. :smile:

RE: spices – considering where you live and where I spent every vacation of my young life (eastern shore VA/MD), I bet you can take a guess what spice mix I used on the shrimp :wink::laugh: !

Ah, I should have guessed :laugh: Nice burgers!

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Kim -- those shrimp remind me of salt-and-pepper shrimp that were served at Phoenix Garden, a really old Chinese restaurant in NYC's Chinatown that's probably not around anymore. One of my favorites, passed away.

Not sure what Bruce uses for a light box, but my light box set up is just a piece of paper towel and a rubber band that I fasten over an adjustable set of studio lamps in my kitchen. Works like a charm and can be reused as needed.

RRO -- those are REALLY giant shrimp. WOW. They must be killer shrimp when alive. :shock:

Tonight:

7025806857_1c0e1478c5_z.jpg

Poached farm egg, leeks, salmon roe.

The leeks were braised in unsalted butter, mirepoix, white wine and leftover clam broth from Monday's dinner.

7025806995_8dfc904f70_z.jpg

Olive-oil poached squid with garlic, orange peel and ramps, with crispy roasted potatoes.

Do you detect a theme here? :laugh:

Truly amazing parade of food everyone!

Dejah, I wish I was your neighbor to get that coconut/panko shrimp basket.

Kim, that burger is bursting with flavor! Is that a cut resistant glove in the first photo?

Bruce, indeed, great photo.

rarerollingobject, I can put my fingers on it, but there is something naturally beatiful about you food. I like the prawn dish with the design on the plate which symbolizes ocean waves. How appropreiate for prawns.

robirdstx, nice plating!

EnriqueB, Thank you. Your Roasted red mullet, so nicely done.

percyn, Leftover Chicken Biryani and Lamb Dhansak? Master of gastronomic renovation!

SobaAddict70, those are very colorful and delicious looking dishes. Poached farm egg, leeks, salmon roe, WOW!

Prawncrackers, what a feast for my eyes looking at those beautifully photoed dishes!

kayb, Cajun boiled shrimp, with frozen maragaritas, just lovely, lovely!

patrickamory, very dramatic Pollo alla calabrese..

---------------------------------------------------------------

I saved all the corned beef juice and made corned pork. Pretty good.

And sous vide lamb with mint sause.

Dcarch

----------------------------------------------

eb6e20e8.jpg

d7d16752.jpg

b46b68fa.jpg

fa6fd510.jpg

9998fe35.jpg

43721cfc.jpg