• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

290 posts in this topic

I am totally not familiar with the Book Depository; is this legit and do they have a history

Todd

Hi Todd,

I use book depository.com or book depository.uk all the time.

I'm in Australia so the free postage that they offer tends to make most books cheaper for me as the cost of postage from amazon makes the books more expensive.

I've had great service from both book depository stores. I've ordered well over 100 books over the last few years and have been very pleased. On one occasion a book did not arrive, I sent and email and within 24 hours they offered to replace the book or refund the money. I was very impressed.

Cheers

Quasar

I rate Bookdepository but their shipping times can be erratic (doesn't help that I live in never never land). I'm going with amazon for this purchase and paid extra to have it delivered asap! :raz:

Really? Generally I receive orders within a week or two. Rarely does it take longer. Amazon, on the other hand, can range--and I'm only talking about their entry-level shipping deal here--from a week to the best part of a month. I figured it'd be the same for New Zealanders, too.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Amazon UK seems generally to be faster than Amazon US for me - solidarity with the colonies, maybe? UK gets stuff here in maybe a week (sometimes a day or two less); US more like 10 days, so I guess not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I've only used BD once but they were fine. They're based in the Channel Islands, I think.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have already placed an order from amazon.ca, their price with shipping to Singapore is 10 cents cheaper than bookdepository (with googles exchange rate as of today), amazon shipping price is not that bad compared to bookdepository total price for many items.

Any word on if the books are printed and on the way from china?? or if they are delayed? if I remember it took 1 month to ship the last from China so they should be on the way now? Nathan??

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......

(PS i love MC, just miffed by the errors).

Hi Jason,

MC At Home got a lot of additional attention before the first printing.

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......

Hi Jason,

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Hi Jason,

Larry

Good to know, thanks Larry.

I decided to take the hit myself, for the group. the amazon customer # is actually: 1-866-216-1072

they said amazon.ca is a different supplier, bla bla bla. they had no idea on the final USA price. so the best bet would to cancel the full price order and check back.

or CA.Guillet'eirs can bring a large truck South of the Border!

Also, I believed Nathan posted that they totally "amped" up the guesstimates (ooops...I mean "forecast") for the first run, so unless they are wildly successfull (still a $100 book), I think the first run should last 6 months or so. I base this on absoutley no facts whatsoever other than Nathans posting. ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Hi Jason,

Larry

Less then 2 weeks, till Amazon Canada send me my copy. Exciting.

I just got an email from Amazon saying that the pre-order arrival date has moved up to 9-28 or 10-01 from 10-10. I'm very excited to get it!

Bahhhh HUMBUG!

My pre-order wasn't showing a revised shipping date so I jumped on the Amazon chat help and they said "It's because of your location" ... :sad:

Sweet! Mine is due to arrive from Amazon.com between 10/2-10/6

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Mine arrives friday :D Hooray for amazon prime, boo for amazon charging the full $140!

Check your orders. I placed my order back in June with Amazon when the book wasn't part of Amazon Prime. I just checked my order after I received notification that it would ship soon and I was being charged $18.98 for one-day shipping! I had to contact Amazon to get them to change it. Excited to be receiving it this Friday!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I'll get this some day, but not for $140, that's just a bit crazy, considering $460 gets you the full not at home set. That's about $92 per book or 19ct per page vs 30ct here.

Seems odd there's no discount, considering the heavy discount on the full set. Worth waiting a bit. For around $90 I'll jump on it :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Basing the value of a book on "Cents Per Page" is fundamentally flawed, unless of course you get a kick out of how much paper you can collect ... But to each his own :smile:

I am very much looking forward to the latest addition to the Modernist Cuisine series, cost is not an issue, the structural integrity of my bookshelves is fast becoming an issue :wink:

I'm sure it'll get discounted, the "other" is 27% off, this one will be too. Cost is always an issue, I'd rather buy two books for the price of one ;-)

Considering that I have not opened the "other" books in months and never cooked from them - I can wait. I have enough to read as it is, :-D

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I knew something was fishy with Am.USA. wonder how Amz.CA manages the discount. no way full price!

• Similar Content

• By ltjazz
      Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?
    • By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By paulraphael
      Does anyone have reliable tricks for getting good flavor out of garlic in a sous-vide bag? I'm talking about using it just as an aromatic, while cooking proteins, or as part of a stock or vegetable puree.

The one time I forgot the maxim to leave raw garlic out of the bag, I ended up with celeriac puree that tasted like a tire fire.

I see some recommendations to just use less, but in my experience the problem wasn't just too much garlic flavor. It was acrid, inedible flavor. Using less works fine for me with other mirepoix veggies.

I also see recipes for s.v. garlic confit (listed by both Anova and Nomiku) and for some reason people say these taste good. How can this be?

There was a thread questioning the old saw about blanching garlic multiple times in milk, which didn't come to any hard conclusions.

I'm wondering if a quick blanch in water before adding to the s.v. bag, to deactivate the enzymes, would do the trick. But I don't know the actual chemistry behind the garlic tire fire, so am not confident this would work.

Some cooks advocate garlic powder; I'm hoping to not resort to that.

Thoughts?
    • By May10April
      I know there was a thread on this a few years ago, however it seems these scales are no longer made or newer better models are available.
      As I've become more serious about my baking, I've decided to get a kitchen scale. I'm debating between the My Weigh KD-8000 http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-Digital-Weighing-Scale/dp/B001NE0FU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297958394&sr=8-1 or the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Scale. http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1297958443&sr=1-1 Originally I wanted the Taylor Salter High Capacity Scale because it looked cool, but I've noticed it received many mixed reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Salter-Aquatronics-Capacity-Kitchen/dp/B004BIOMGU/ref=sr_1_24?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297958465&sr=1-24
      Here are my requirments:
      -Minimum capacity of 11 lbs
      -Minimum resolution of 1 g
      -Measure in Kg, lb, oz, g
      -Tare feature
      -Preferably have seamless buttons
      I want to get a nice scale. I don't want to get a scale with minimum features only to find in two years that I do enough baking/cooking that requires me to have something more sophisticated.
      Here are a few other questions:
      1. How important is it to have a scale measure fluid ounces?
      2. What about measuring lbs. oz (for example 6 lbs and 4.2 ounces)
      3. Is it important to have a scale measure in bakers %? I'd like to learn how to do these and have a cookbook that shows them next to the measurements. I'm not sure if this is something most people can figure out on their own or it would be handy to have them on a scale. The MW KD-8000 does this.
      The only problem with the MW-KD-8000 is it appears to be big and bulky and I don't have a lot of counter space so I'd probably keep it stored most of the time. The Eat Smart just seems to minimal. The Salter seems like an expensive scale for what it offers and somewhat of a risk.
      Thanks for any help in helping me choose the right scale. I do not know why this is becoming a chore to purchase! I just want to make sure I choose the right one right off the bat.
    • By bhsimon
      Recently cooked whole bone-in lamb shoulder sous vide for 8 hours @ 80°C. The results were like a typical braise. More interestingly, I weighed the different components after cooking for future reference. Here is the breakdown:

Before cooking:
      2.1 kg lamb shoulder – whole, bone-in, untrimmed

After cooking:
      621 g liquid
      435 g bones and fat
      1044 g meat

Almost precisely half of the total weight was meat. Hopefully this will be helpful if you are trying to calculate portions.

As an aside to this: we've been cooking our tough cuts (sous vide) whole, without any trimming at all, and removing fat and bones after cooking. It is so much easier and faster than trimming everything beforehand. The excess fat comes off in large pieces and connective tissue peels away cleanly. Lamb shanks, for instance, are tedious to trim before cooking but easily cleaned up after they come out of the bag. It's luxurious to have big, clean pieces of shank meat although some may prefer on-the-bone presentation. We have tried this with pork shoulder, too, and the unwanted fat is easily removed after cooking with lovely hunks of tender meat remaining for slicing, dicing or shredding.