• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

I am totally not familiar with the Book Depository; is this legit and do they have a history

Todd

Hi Todd,

I use book depository.com or book depository.uk all the time.

I'm in Australia so the free postage that they offer tends to make most books cheaper for me as the cost of postage from amazon makes the books more expensive.

I've had great service from both book depository stores. I've ordered well over 100 books over the last few years and have been very pleased. On one occasion a book did not arrive, I sent and email and within 24 hours they offered to replace the book or refund the money. I was very impressed.

Cheers

Quasar

Really? Generally I receive orders within a week or two. Rarely does it take longer. Amazon, on the other hand, can range--and I'm only talking about their entry-level shipping deal here--from a week to the best part of a month. I figured it'd be the same for New Zealanders, too.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Amazon UK seems generally to be faster than Amazon US for me - solidarity with the colonies, maybe? UK gets stuff here in maybe a week (sometimes a day or two less); US more like 10 days, so I guess not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I've only used BD once but they were fine. They're based in the Channel Islands, I think.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have already placed an order from amazon.ca, their price with shipping to Singapore is 10 cents cheaper than bookdepository (with googles exchange rate as of today), amazon shipping price is not that bad compared to bookdepository total price for many items.

Any word on if the books are printed and on the way from china?? or if they are delayed? if I remember it took 1 month to ship the last from China so they should be on the way now? Nathan??

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......

(PS i love MC, just miffed by the errors).

Hi Jason,

MC At Home got a lot of additional attention before the first printing.

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......

Hi Jason,

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Hi Jason,

Larry

Good to know, thanks Larry.

I decided to take the hit myself, for the group. the amazon customer # is actually: 1-866-216-1072

they said amazon.ca is a different supplier, bla bla bla. they had no idea on the final USA price. so the best bet would to cancel the full price order and check back.

or CA.Guillet'eirs can bring a large truck South of the Border!

Also, I believed Nathan posted that they totally "amped" up the guesstimates (ooops...I mean "forecast") for the first run, so unless they are wildly successfull (still a $100 book), I think the first run should last 6 months or so. I base this on absoutley no facts whatsoever other than Nathans posting. ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Hi Jason,

Larry

Check your orders. I placed my order back in June with Amazon when the book wasn't part of Amazon Prime. I just checked my order after I received notification that it would ship soon and I was being charged $18.98 for one-day shipping! I had to contact Amazon to get them to change it. Excited to be receiving it this Friday!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I'll get this some day, but not for $140, that's just a bit crazy, considering $460 gets you the full not at home set. That's about $92 per book or 19ct per page vs 30ct here.

Seems odd there's no discount, considering the heavy discount on the full set. Worth waiting a bit. For around $90 I'll jump on it :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Basing the value of a book on "Cents Per Page" is fundamentally flawed, unless of course you get a kick out of how much paper you can collect ... But to each his own :smile:

I am very much looking forward to the latest addition to the Modernist Cuisine series, cost is not an issue, the structural integrity of my bookshelves is fast becoming an issue :wink:

I'm sure it'll get discounted, the "other" is 27% off, this one will be too. Cost is always an issue, I'd rather buy two books for the price of one ;-)

Considering that I have not opened the "other" books in months and never cooked from them - I can wait. I have enough to read as it is, :-D

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog