• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broilers... who uses them?

Crouton

I'm interested in knowing how many of you actually use your broiler? More specifically, who uses their broiler for things other than the occasional need to quickly brown a casserole or make cheese bubbly? Do you actually use your broiler to cook a steak? If I'm cooking a steak inside, habit has me searing it on hot iron and finishing it off the oven. Is there any advantage to using the broiler to cook a steak? What else do you use your broiler for? I'm wondering if I've been missing something all these years.

Fish fish fish.

Seriously, turn on the broiler, heat up a cast iron pan super hot, throw a whole fish or a filet in, and slide it right under the broiler. My favorite cooking method for fish. Rather similar to Japanese fish grills, from what I understand.

Also good for making pizza in the oven

Fish fish fish.

I use much the same method as Hassouni describes above.

I also use it in a pinch to put extra browning on the crowns of my bread (which I really like), and to boost oven heat when I need to go over 450 F (which is where my gas thermostat maxes out).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I use mine all the time. Today I have strips of calamari steak marinating with garlic, olive oil and lemon zest that will be placed on foil and slipped under the broiler for dinner. No pan to clean. The quick intense heat produces a result I enjoy with the edges getting just a bit brown. On the days when all I have in the freezer is pre-cooked frozen shrimp or chicken tenders I put them on foil, sprinkle with seasoning and broil just till warm for the shrimp and just done for the chicken. Again a quick and easy method. I grew up eating "USDA Choice" steaks several times a week (Dad the butcher brought lots of beef home). My mom always broiled them and that is how my son likes them too. Not having done them per your method I can't say how the flavor differs.

I use my broiler for a few Japanese preparations: shioyaki, miso-marinated fish, sometimes even yakitori. I have plans for making dengaku soon using it. And we've been known to use it for chicken satays in the past.

Basically, I use it for just about anything I would use a grill for anytime I don't feel like actually working the grill, or am unable to for any reason!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Interesting... how does it compare to cooking pizza in a normal 500F oven? How does the crust turn out when the heat source is only coming from the top? Do you preheat the oven first?

My mom always broiled them [steaks] and that is how my son likes them too. Not having done them per your method I can't say how the flavor differs.

Does broiling your steak produce an even char on the entire surface of the steak? I'm scared to spend the money on a nice ribeye and then wind up with a pale, grey exterior. The only method I've found to get that high-end steak house broiled effect is to use the "UNDER the chimney starter" method, a technique I learned from Alton Brown - one I still can't believe hasn't caught on.

Edited by Crouton (log)

I use it for all the things others have mentioned.

But a favorite is for a broiled leg of lamb. I butterfly the lamb. Poke holes in it and stick in bits of rosemary, garlic, lemon zest. Marinate it overnight in a seasoned mix of olive oil, soy sauce and sherry. Then broil, fat-side up.

Terrific.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Interesting... how does it compare to cooking pizza in a normal 500F oven? How does the crust turn out when the heat source is only coming from the top? Do you preheat the oven first?

Two ways to use a broiler for this, off the top of my head. The first is yes, preheat the oven as high as it'll go (in my case 550), bake the pizza as normal but switch on the broiler for the last minute or two to really brown and crisp the top. The second way also involves cast iron, and has been written about extensively around the web - again get the pan hella hot, slap the pizza in and put it under the broiler. The immense retained heat should work with the broiler to cook both sides of the pizza relatively evenly. The third and most awesome way involves the self-clean cycle, which also uses the broiler, but that's a different subject.

Another great use - eggplant slices. Many recipes (at least in Middle Eastern cooking) require fried sliced eggplant, which is delicious but LOADED with oil. Brush eggplant slices with oil and broil them - you get a similar effect but far less oily and therefore far fewer calories.

But a favorite is for a broiled leg of lamb. I butterfly the lamb. Poke holes in it and stick in bits of rosemary, garlic, lemon zest. Marinate it overnight in a seasoned mix of olive oil, soy sauce and sherry. Then broil, fat-side up.

You cook the leg of lamb ONLY with the broiler? I would assume by the time the inside was medium-rare, the outside would have been blasted into a charred black mess?

Chicken, absolutely. Also tuna melts. Lamb chops. Charring pepper skins. "Toasting" multiple English muffins at one time. I think the broiler makes more flavorful steaks than my stove-top grill pan but I'm not as good at timing it. We don't have an outdoor grill, so the broiler substitutes for quite a bit.

peppers, fish, steak in years past. Himself likes to use the outdoor grill, and that puts clean up in his court not mine, so steaks are not broiler fodder any longer.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

You cook the leg of lamb ONLY with the broiler? I would assume by the time the inside was medium-rare, the outside would have been blasted into a charred black mess?

Well, that would depend upon how far up (or down) the burner is from the meat.

Here are my exact instructions (from Recipe Gullet):

"Barbecue or broil, fat side up initially, turning once. Cook fat side up for about 30 minutes (or so, depending on thickness of meat), then turn and broil for 10-15 minutes (or to desired doneness)."

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I saw this topic come up today I didn't bother posting because I expected the answers to all be "almost never" and didn't think I would add much to such a discussion. Imagine my surprise to see that almost all responders use their broiler. I likely don't use mine more than one or twice a year and that only to finish off a dish. Hmmmm - might have to reconsider my position and see if I can make more use of it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I saw this topic come up today I didn't bother posting because I expected the answers to all be "almost never" and didn't think I would add much to such a discussion. Imagine my surprise to see that almost all responders use their broiler. I likely don't use mine more than one or twice a year and that only to finish off a dish. Hmmmm - might have to reconsider my position and see if I can make more use of it.

We use our broiler all the time. It's sort of like a big toaster oven, especially useful when we've got guests. Think about how often a commercial kitchen uses their salamander. I suspect you don't use your broiler very often primarily because you're just not in the habit of it, and it doesn't cross your mind to do so.

I'm interested in knowing how many of you actually use your broiler? More specifically, who uses their broiler for things other than the occasional need to quickly brown a casserole or make cheese bubbly? Do you actually use your broiler to cook a steak? If I'm cooking a steak inside, habit has me searing it on hot iron and finishing it off the oven. Is there any advantage to using the broiler to cook a steak? What else do you use your broiler for? I'm wondering if I've been missing something all these years.

Yes, there is an advantage to broiling meat. When you pan fry meat or bbq, the meat is in contact with metal and as a result of high heat known carcinogens are formed.

This site will explain it better than I could.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cooked-meats

IMO, meat broiled in a gas stove tastes better than meat broiled in an electric stove.

Fish fish fish.

Fish fish fish.

Can I add a vote for fish? Even with the simplest fillets, fish + broiler = best (real) fast food

I use my broiler for grilling bread when I want a bit of char and burn, as with bruschetta, and don't have the grill fired up.

As others have mentioned, it's great for finishing roasted meat or vegetables. And open-faced sandwiches topped with cheese? Yes.

One of the reasons I love my Blue Star range is the infrared broiler, which is a regular broiler on steroids. The mediocre broiler was the only thing I loved (and used regularly) about the old gas stove I had before.

I make open-faced cheese sandwiches, usually with swiss cheese. I like them with the cheese bubbly and browned, usually, I put whole-grain mustard on the bread and a few tomato slices.

I'll also melt cheese on a tortilla before adding eggs and potatoes for a breakfast burrito. The slightly browned cheese makes a big difference.

I have also found that it's faster for heating up frozen leftovers if they aren't too thick.

Made broiled chicken with za'atar last night. Delicious. I can't believe people who don't do broiled chicken -- it is one of the easiest and tastiest ways of cooking chicken known to man. Even plain chicken with just a bit of salt and pepper comes out full of flavor. Seriously -- try it!