• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microplane Graters

=Mark

I have the 35002 - Fine Grater with Black Handle - but for some reason I don't like it. I'm thinking of getting the original 40001 or maybe the 37000 Series - but not all the screens - with the wire handle. I don't like the black/Santaprene handles - but should I? What do you think? What do you like?

And THIS scared the hell out of me.

Thanks for your help.

ITA on the foot grater, yikes!

I have several, courtesy of DH, the gadget guru. He initially - upon my request - brought home one that is like the original one with the round black handle (40000 series, I believe it is). Later he bought several others, wider ones like the 38000. My favorite and thus most used is still the skinny one. I like it because you move the grater over the food and not vice versa, and it is thin enough for even the tiniest limes. I admit that the handle looks very cheap, but it is comfortable to hold.

I prefer the model without the handle for the feeling of control, but if I'm doing more than a couple limes - like in a commercial kitchen where I might do 10 or more - the handle of the 35002 is much nicer on my hands. And I can still move the grater over the fruit rather than the traditional way with the grater on the table.

I love the ones with handles (35000 series): I find them less prone to slipping than the original handleless 45001 (which I've been using for about 6 to 8 years now), and I still have good control. They clean up just fine, so I see no need to get the ones that pop into and out of the frames -- which worry me because I don't know what might happen if extra pressure is applied. (Probably nothing bad, but still . . . .)

I just received a nutmeg grater, which I couldn't find on the site; maybe it's new. It's a compact plastic box with a removable grater screen over a collection box, and a storage part. Bar none, it is the BEST spice grater I've ever had. :wub:

That "personal care" version is just plain silly, IMO. That's why god invented pumice. :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your input. SuzanneF - I could have sworn that I saw that nutmeg grater on their site too. Maybe I just WISHED that another model would be somehow easier to use for big projects - I used to weekly do about 30 oranges, 30 lemons, and 30 limes. Nero - any problems popping that screen in or out? And anyone else use any of the other graters/screens?

Thanks again.

Nero - any problems popping that screen in or out?

No. It's really easy, even with wet hands.

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 9 years later...

I was at the Microplane site yesterday, looking for a grater, and noticed that the description of a couple of items said "Blade made in USA." That suggests, to me at least, that the rest of the parts, and possibly the assembly, are made elsewhere. Does anyone have any more info on the subject?

... Shel

I looked at mine last night. The two newer ones are printed/stamped with 'Blade made in the USA' as Liuzhou says, but no indication of where assembly is done. Maybe there is on the original packaging, but that's long gone.

The older Microplane simply says 'Made in the USA'.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I looked at mine last night. The two newer ones are printed/stamped with 'Blade made in the USA' as Liuzhou says, but no indication of where assembly is done. Maybe there is on the original packaging, but that's long gone.

With Liuzhou's info as a pointer, I did some further research, and it seems that the assembly is done in Mexico while the blades are made in the USA. Thanks for helping to satisfy my curiosity.

... Shel

• 10 years later...

My main microplane is so dull it was defeated by a lemon today. Time for a new one. 

I'm curious which model people prefer. I've noticed just about every professional cook uses the long skinny ones. They seem like they'd be kind of inefficient. Are they popular because they fit easily in a knife roll? 

I've always bought the paddle-shaped ones, with a more rectangular plane. They make more sense to me. And can be stuffed into a knife roll if needed.

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

5 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I have both types and prefer the skinny one- it’s easier to navigate around a round surface like a lemon or an orange.

Me too and what you said is the main reason.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have three Microplane branded graters--the long skinny one, a paddle that's a bit coarser, and a ribbon grater. Which one I use just depends on what I'm grating.

Here's another option.  I have the fine version of this Good Cook grater. It has bi-directional teeth, and I like it as well as my Microplanes. They also make a coarser version. I got mine at my local Kroger affiliate for several dollars cheaper than what it's selling for on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Fine-Zester-Grater/dp/B014RXUEV0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=FPTVKDWC0MBI&keywords=Good+cook+grater&qid=1704354431&sprefix=good+cook+grat%2Caps%2C544&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Medium-Grater-Zester/dp/B06XDCY785/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Good+cook+grater&qid=1704356622&sr=8-4

Edited by Chimayo Joe
Added another link. (log)
  • Like 1

I have three of the paddle type (one genuine, two knockoffs) and one of the long, skinny zesters, all of them gifts from friends and family. The skinny one in its slipcover lives in the utensil drawer in our main kitchen and gets used several times/week for zesting and/or parm; occasionally for taking a bit of cinnamon from the end of a cinnamon stick.

The paddle ones are in a box somewhere in the barn since we moved, about 18 months ago. I haven't seen or looked for them in that time.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Skinny for me.

You are usually planing a small curved object and only a small area is in contact, so a thin grater makes sense as most of the area of a large grater is wasted.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:50 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I'd trade it for a paddle type any day.

I used to have a paddle type and I didn't find it any easier to hold onto than the skinny ones. I wound up giving it away. These are the ones that I have presently.

20240104_082226.thumb.jpg.e5cb535126c8dd19d788ae55fa2527fe.jpg

The one that I use most is the one on the right. I probably had it 20 years and I purloined it from my husband's woodworking kit. It's just an ordinary woodworking rasp.

My other favorite one might work better for you as you can hold it in your hand to grate things. It's perfect for parmesan cheese, small amounts of carrot or other vegetables.

20240104_081645.thumb.jpg.b67062d21c0d756cb468cbcbae1a657b.jpg

20240104_081618.thumb.jpg.27ab3aace839dc05a0188b62f947cf4f.jpg

It's just a tiny box grater with a microplane face. The face measures four and a half inches by 2 in. It doesn't have any brand name on it and it is just something that I picked up at the grocery store.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's just an ordinary woodworking rasp.

Microplanes were originally just woodworking tools until some well-known chefs started using them on food.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto