• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese graters

lindag

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Though I doubt most establishments are pulverizing the 105 euro per kilo stuff that I am using.

And when I feel comfortable shopping in person again - there are times of the year when DiPalo's has a number of different parmesan cheeses - spring milk, fall milk, etc. - it's fun tasting them side by side.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I use one of these. Does small volumes quickly and safely.  The rare occasion that I need a cup or so of parm, it'll do that in under a minute. Cleanup is quick.

https://smile.amazon.com/Zyliss-11375-ZYLISS-Rotary-Cheese/dp/B00421ATHM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=zyliss+grater&qid=1611498165&sr=8-3

That style of grater has been around forEVER. I'm sure you can find one for a better price than that somewhere!

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Have you tried t he costco parm?

No Costco within walking distance.  Nearest one I know of is about 45 minutes away by car.  Is their Parmesan particularly easy to grate?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No Costco within walking distance.  Nearest one I know of is about 45 minutes away by car.  Is their Parmesan particularly easy to grate?

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

easy in my zyliss

I rely on this hand-cranked model I bought at a PA flea market for $4.    Comes apart for washing easily.   Husband milled the wooden plunger.   Grandkids vie for time at the wheel...altho they tend to snag a sizable proportion of product while "helping out". 

IMG_0774.thumb.jpg.62937b5104fb619304aba43942d3993f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

That style of grater has been around forEVER.

Indeed! I had one when I was a student and that was when the idea a man on the moon was just a ridiculous fantasy.

I found it quite impractical and It never managed to grate the last part.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Though I doubt most establishments are pulverizing the 105 euro per kilo stuff that I am using.

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

parmashop.it

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Forgive me, I realize I already had an earlier thread about grating Parmesan...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154311-portioning-parmesan/

ParmesanFront01162017.png.2b6abd2f9f60eb

They charge €105/kilo for that one?

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They charge €105/kilo for that one?

No... but I work part time in a library, Vacche Rosse is what I buy more often.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No... but I work part time in a library, Vacche Rosse is what I buy more often.

Reminds me of the Holiday Inn commercials of a few years ago "...but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night..."

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think that Zyliss style was originally made by the same company that makes the classic Mouli Julienne I own. I have one that barely works any more...

image.png.1d5df1428eabfb167630bcb6523f7d4b.png

Oh, that's a very nice antique. Mine was also just flimsy metal and wood, maybe a little bit newer. Probably purchased at a flea market a million years ago. Even when it worked it didn't work very well. I rarely need more grated hard cheese than two people require for a flurry on pasta, so I'm happy with my old knuckle-challenged box grater. When the wedge of cheese gets dangerously small I just toss the rind in the soup pot or wherever. Actually I don't believe I ever hurt myself grating hard cheese. Before I owned a processor there was always the fear of pink latkes.

• Delicious 1

55 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think that Zyliss style was originally made by the same company that makes the classic Mouli Julienne I own. I have one that barely works any more...

Gold in your pocket at a vintage flea market like this https://www.longbeachantiquemarket.com/  Functionality not at issue.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:47 PM, weinoo said:

I've been using my large box grater for parmesan and pecorino lately. I've used a small microplane, the French moulinex grater disc, etc. etc. The box grater (a good, sharp one) works better and is basically faster than any of the others. Certainly it's not like I'm grating pounds of this stuff at a time.

I found the same thing when grating ("zesting") the rind of an orange. The box grater outperformed the microplane by far.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

20 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The box grater outperformed the microplane by far.

Exactly - especially a nice, sharp one.  And I've even figured out how to hold things so my fingers are not at risk!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I had one like yours.  I got it in grad school or maybe even before.  It was corroded, rusted, and not sharp.  I threw it out just a couple years ago.

Meanwhile, my Ankarsrum slicer/shredder came today.  This attachment has six drums.  In addition to slicing and shredding, there is a fine grating drum, a medium coarse grating drum, a coarse grating drum, and a potato grating drum.  The medium coarse and coarse drums are suggested for cheese, and the fine grating drum for parmesan.

This is not to be confused with the Ankarsrum grating attachment, which I hope will arrive this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

I found the same thing when grating ("zesting") the rind of an orange. The box grater outperformed the microplane by far.

My box grater is great for zesting oranges.  Less so for zesting cheese.

• Like 1

Tonight I used the Ankarsrum medium coarse grating drum on a chunk of Jarlsberg.  Very pleased.  No muss, no mess, almost no work.  (Best not to ask about the celery.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

We broke one of our graters the other night, right where the handle meets the grating surface:

grater 1.jpg 

It was probably about a year old, or, to put it another way, acquired about the same time as the last post in this topic.

Anything new since then? 

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.