• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for Farmstyle Shreds Grater?

yekasi4

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

massively overpriced.

I couldn't agree more. My best microplane is one that I snitched from my husband about 20 years ago. I still have it and it works beautifully. If you want the very best quality microplanes at a reasonable price, look in a woodworking catalog.

• Like 2

CuisiPro used to be all rebranded micro plane.

https://www.cuisiprousa.com

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cuisipro&crid=2TSNIITHSE37B&sprefix=cuisipro%2Caps%2C94&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I got a complete set of the individual graters  

from a hight end grocery store in California when theynfirdt came out , 

40 % off ,  as they didn't sell ,  they store was called Andromico's  ( more or less )

and a fine store it was for  meat , veg , bakery etc.

what they didn't sell was this :

https://www.amazon.com/Browne-Foodservice-CUISIPRO-Resistant-Glove/dp/B00IYFI0EG/ref=sr_1_116?crid=2TSNIITHSE37B&keywords=cuisipro&qid=1703878969&sprefix=cuisipro%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-116

consider one w your microphone selections.

Joking I am Not 

15 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I guess these are all useful comments, but honestly, have you ever known anyone who wouldn't grate cheese because they lacked the "proper tool?" I'm not trying to be snarky, I was just born that way.

I really have to agree.

I live in Costa Rica where in order to buy a really good block of cheese I would have to refinance my car. So I buy good packaged grated cheese. It suits my needs for cooking. Once in awhile I splurge and buy a block of eating cheese. If I really must grate cheese, I have an old box grater that works just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I guess these are all useful comments, but honestly, have you ever known anyone who wouldn't grate cheese because they lacked the "proper tool?" I'm not trying to be snarky, I was just born that way.

Wouldn't?  I could be that person.  I wouldn't grate cheese onto nachos if I my only grater did wispy little shreds.  And I wouldn't grate Parmesan in/onto a lot of things with the kind of extra coarse grater the OP asked about.

But you be you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

My hands are the problem; I need a superior grating ability (with many shapes unworkable).

And I have busted a couple workbowls for the Cuisinart trying to chop up cheese.

No workable solutions at present.

Ideas welcome.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

My hands are the problem; I need a superior grating ability (with many shapes unworkable).

And I have busted a couple workbowls for the Cuisinart trying to chop up cheese.

No workable solutions at present.

Ideas welcome.

Maybe a Moulinex would work for you? Would work for a cheese like cheddar or mozzarella.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176085735904?hash=item28ff8719e0:g:H04AAOSwpsVlcelS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwIow3GiaxW1T0I7w%2FSe00WE4n4As02LGzrxxWKeoebCHJZd2HqJwbNgojUGHveU0kABrzksvtNqyioihhyWGCuf6ORAqqRUAz%2BdcF68aCc%2BqGHkSVoACwzncgb7y%2BXSGj8odq%2F4NXN2busVtolYNXI1qRnW6DEiw3VSH9lDWfjpbcLgP72bv6uOBaVmbs7svdTAsNEmkhBNA%2BQFnBrV8mUwB6pLt5CABnXI3DZKjRcfvxEvUvGodsP%2FRgIf%2FyShaTQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-6ltJqXYw

On 12/29/2023 at 12:14 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

So I buy good packaged grated cheese. It suits my needs for cooking.

Problem is, all pre-grated cheese I've tried is coated with something that prevents clumping.  This stuff melts differently and has a different finished texture from self-grated.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I agree but living in Costa Rica, Beggars can't be choosers. You take what you can get.

I'm sorry.   I know too well the price to be paid at the far end of modern logistical tails.  I was amazed how overprocessed, preserved, imported dreck foods dominated in the Cook Islands.

Still, are there no local "peasant" cheeses available in your area?

3 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Problem is, all pre-grated cheese I've tried is coated with something that prevents clumping.  This stuff melts differently and has a different finished texture from self-grated.

They are coated with starch.  It will rinse off and then cheese melts normally.  I have shown this somewhere on eG in the past year or so.  Very easy to do.

here it is

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Still, are there no local "peasant" cheeses available in your area?

There is a lot of local cheese and it is on the order of the queso Fresca that you would find in Mexico. There are two dairies in Costa Rica that make cheddar and swiss type cheeses but they are way overpriced and you might as well be eating greasy rubber. Imported cheeses are very expensive except for the Walmart brand and these are good for cooking. When I want an eating cheese I splurge and buy an imported cheese. I've been here over 30 years so I'm pretty experienced in making do with what I can find. 

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

Ive known this , but never thought about the rise-off.

then you have wet cheese ?

do you spin in a salad spinner ?

pat dry -er w paper towels ?

use as is after a drip=dry ?

I just put them on a paper towel.  I bet wet cheese would melt eventually

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

They are coated with starch.  It will rinse off and then cheese melts normally.  I have shown this somewhere on eG in the past year or so.  Very easy to do.

here it is

Sorry, rinsing cheese?  You might as well grate your own.

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

If you followed the thread..... the issue came up because of some difficulty with grating cheese. Whatever it was.

I presented a solution.  Rinsing cheese isn't all that difficult really.  You ought to try it.  Builds character.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I presented a solution. 

Rinsing shredded cheese is a solution?  What do you do to dry It afterward?

But you be you.  Happy New Year.

Edited by Laurentius
New Year Well Wishes (log)

On 12/30/2023 at 6:35 AM, TdeV said:

Thanks, @Katie Meadow. @weinoo convinced me to get a Moulinex. Don't know why I don't use it more . . . guess I keep thinking there will be a really, really sharp grater that will be easier to handle. 🫢

Have you tried any of the West edge graters?  They don't feel especially sharp, but they cut in both directions.  They also--somehow--make excellent citrus zest without any pith.

• Thanks 1