• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London recommendations

It's almost 30 years since I lived in  London so I can't be much help. 

However I do know the area around Tower Bridge is not London's best food site. Apart from the touristy places by the bridge and adjacent Tower, to the east there is little of interest and to the immediate west is London's financial district. Few people actually live there and many pubs, restaurants and lunchtime sandwich shops close early when the bankers and office workers head home. At weekends, it's dead.

Further west, around Covent Garden and Soho with neighbouring Chinatown may be your best choice. Easily accessible by the Tube (London Underground).

One recommendation nearer to Tower Bridge is on the south side of London Bridge (the next bridge to the west). Borough Market is both London's best food market and also has several good restaurants and street food type places. Check opening times, though.

https://boroughmarket.org.uk/visit-us/

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I agree with @liuzhou that it's a good idea to head over to Borough Market (which is only a 15-min walk away), given that there isn't much interesting around Tower Bridge. Last time I was in the area, I had a nice lunch at Wright Brothers (disclaimer, it's been a few years). The whiskey exchange is not to be missed if you are looking for a "souvenir".

I would recommend checking the guides from Eater, they generally have good recommendations, including some by neighborhood including one for Borough market that is fairly recent. They also have this nice guide here

If I were you I'd hop on the tube and go to St John...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's such a an international metropolis that London is great for non-English food. I'm looking forward to eating again at Hakkasan in June. 

Tayyabs for Punjabi food.

I'm not a Londoner so I hope a lot of people jump in with recommendations.

We hit Borough Market right away and was looking forward to a sausage roll from the Ginger Pig, which gets rave reviews. After a fairly tortuous effort to find out if the regular roll had milk in it, I ordered one. Didn’t bite into it until quite a ways down the road and they accidentally gave me one with cheese. Ended up with decent fish and chips at the wife’s request. We had quite a few good meals there. Dinner the first night was Roast (also in Borough Market).  It was part of our tour and I had the signature pork belly. Very good.  Next night was at the Drawn and Quartered pub.  Also good but I can’t remember what I had!  Last night was at Ffionas. Excellent.  Had duck breast. Never did get a sausage roll. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

No pictures. We were in London and Paris and I only took one picture the whole trip, and it was of a floor board pattern at Versailles. Primarily because I have pictures from the last trip and things look the same (and the weather was better on that trip).

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs