• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite meal to eat when its snowing

gotsum411

Lasagne...it's a good 2 hour process for me.

Hot cocoa.

I just finished a batch of applesauce with pears, cooked with a cinnamon stick, and the house smells heavenly. I have to remember that next time we are snowed in.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

:biggrin:

Hot chocolate in the morning. What accompanies it almost doesn't matter, but hot buttered toast is really wonderful.

One of the simplest soups in the world: finely minced shallots and two or three kinds of mushrooms cooked in butter, plus good chicken broth, S + P, and finely chopped fresh thyme (all to taste; sorry, can't begin to approximate quantities). Simmer briefly until flavors work together. Irresistible. A bit of dairy/half & half/whipping cream simmered slowly in will give you a cream of mushroom soup that will wean one away from Campbell's forever if that hasn't happened already). A tiny bit of chopped parsley is good, and hot buttered toast is also good. Your fave stinky cheese, plus fruit, plus the rest of that toast makes a good finale.

(Okay: I can be bread-centric too, especially in cold weather and especially if it's my own home baking.)

Above all in the cold nights: roast chicken, well salted and peppered, slathered with an olive oil and lemon juice mixture, and with lemon wedges and a bundle of your herb(s) of choice stuffed inside. Include roasted potatoes and your favorite steamed buttered green veg, and stand back.

Good Champagne goes wth both that lunch and those dinners.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Anything braised, red wine braised short ribs and polenta, irish oatmeal with chopped apples and toasted pecans for breakfast, gingerbread cake (warm) with lemon curd and whipped cream...we were stuck in the house for 3 days in outside of Portland and it's a good thing I'd gone to the store hungry, I overshopped and everything (for once) ended up getting eaten. I got a big bag of yukon gold potatoes and they are gone...mashed, fried, baked, hashbrowns, you name it.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

French onion soup and real hot chocolate (none of that cocoa stuff).

I don't really need either right now, however, since it's been in the high-20's in Cambodia this week, and it will be about the same or hotter when I arrive in Singapore tomorrow! :laugh:

If it makes any of you snowed-in people feel better, it's not a dry heat...

I gotta go with soup like most others. The favorite being Duk Guk (korean rice cake soup). Had some last weekend. It was great.

Aside from soup, Love making a pot of grits and even better if I have some chicken livers with it.

We also play empty the freezer game. Trying to use some of the older meat items that's been sitting in the freezer all year.

Doing a big pot of black bean soup right now.

My favorite and most popular soup this year is my green chili curry chicken soup, its a great sinus clearer, my staff had a lunch break and all of us had kleenexs to sob up our running noses. This year has been one hell of a year for snow and I am sick of it. Winter is time for indian or thai, but I live hours from a restaurant of either type and my ingredients are quite limited here. Another favorite soup is my chipotle corn chowder. I cant wait for spring because making 5 gallons of soup every day is getting quite old.

My favorite thing is cinnamon toast with lots of hot tea; but what I make for the rest of the family is the Havana Moon Chili from the epicurious site. It is not a traditional chili the way most of us know chili, but it is addictive and perfect for a cold winter weekend.

here's the recipe: Havana Moon Chili recipe

When I make it, I leave out the almonds and put in more olives. I never have dark raisins in the house, only golden ones and they are perfect in this.

ETA: correcting typo

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

Good Champagne goes wth both that lunch and those dinners.

Lady T, good Champagne goes with anything! :laugh:

No argument about that at all, at all!

I did a half recipe of James Beard's sauteed chicken with tarragon; served that with a baked potato and sauteed spinach and an inexpensive but surprisingly serviceable and good Chardonnay (and again, just for emphasis: a glass or three of good Champagne works here too. Judiu is precisely right.). Dessert was homemade pumpkin pie, which I don't stop making until Ash Wednesday at least...

Damn, it's good -- and damn, it helps fight off the inward cold.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

For me

Bollito Misto ( and I get to use the broth for a risotto or soup the next day :biggrin: )

Curried Pumpkin soup made with some coconut milk and heaps of coriander. Indian bread on the side.

Liver and Onions with a giant serving of potato mash. Oh, and the liver HAS to be cooked with white wine and sage.

Hot self saucing chocolate fudge pudding with pouring cream or a golden syrup steamed pudding with ditto.

Oh yeah! :rolleyes: