• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasoning Carbon Steel Pans

Shel_B

Yeah, you'll definitely want to strip it if there's a coating remaining.....6 thin coats of flax oil is just the beginning really.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I think it's better to oil, then heat, instead of heating first. You'll be more likely to get even coating.

As for treating the outside: I can't see a reason not to do so, but why bother?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I season the whole darn pan...not only is the seasoning protective...it looks a heck of a lot better.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Go here http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Mineral-Inch-Fry/product-reviews/B002S52X1E/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1 and scroll down to the seasoning tips in the first or second review. I did essentially the same thing with my Matfer skillet, and it worked a stitch. Pay attention, don't take shortcuts.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

rotuts, flax seed oil is uber expensive. Is there a reason to choose this oil over others?

The link Lisa Shock posted provides good reasoning. I followed those steps for a lodge pan and it worked better than any other method.

• Like 2

rotuts, flax seed oil is uber expensive.  Is there a reason to choose this oil over others?

The link Lisa Shock posted provides good reasoning. I followed those steps for a lodge pan and it worked better than any other method.

I followed Sheryl's method the last time I needed to re-season my Lodge cast iron skillet. Excellent results with the flax seed oil.
  • Like 1

I never seasoned my cast iron cookware.

If you cook with cast iron, seasoning will develop all by itself, unavoidable.

I also scrub with steel wool, soap, detergent, dishwasher, ----- I can't get rib of seasoning on cast iron.

dcarch

• Like 1

it was much much cheaper at TJs's

Ive used linseed oil in woodworking, its difficult to work with and I though toxic.

I was under the impression flax seed oil polymerized as cures to a cross-bonded surface.

in the amazon ref above, a customer claims potato skins are needed for the 'stripping'

any idea what this is about if anything ? after all, the ' fats / oils ' later suggested by this person might not be the best

"Boiled Linseed oil" a.k.a. BLO isn't really boiled, it has the addition of metalic driers in it. This, I'm guessing is pretty toxic, and have only applied it to outdoor furniture. Raw linseed oil has nothing added to it, but isn't popular becasue it takes so long to dry. It is commonly available though. The by-prodcut of flaxseed oil/linseed oil is the stalk fibers, a.k.a "linen"....

BTW 'drying' in this case, both for wood and ( new to me ) steel pans is not drying in the sense of water evaporation, but of the oil

polymerizing. there are newer products for wood you should look into that avoid the time linseed oil takes to 'dry'

that time adds stuff like "dust" "lint" to your finish and would do so to a steel pan also

A really thin layer, then wipe it off as completely as possible. Then place in oven and turn on to 500ºF. After it reaches temperature, leave for an hour then turn off oven. Don't open oven door until cools. Repeat 4 or 5 times until surface is smooth and glossy.

• Like 3

I attempted to do the Canter method on my pan last night, but after the first run, the seasoning looked AWFUL. When I did it on cast iron, I remember a much more even look, whereas with the de Buyer it was streaky and splotchy. Not sticky, but it didn't look right at all. Some googling turned up the fact that carbon steel doesn't take to that seasoning method quite as well, and furthermore it doesn't need to be seasoned to the same degree cast iron does.

This morning I boiled water and vinegar in the pan, got as much of the seasoning off as I could, then did two very light flax oil coats stovetop. I then fried some very fatty bacon, and wiped that down leaving a thin coat. Then I figured what the hell, let's fry an egg. <1 Tbsp butter, room temp egg cracked right into the pan, and....

NO STICKING! It glided around like a figure skater. This pan rocks!

I attempted to do the Canter method on my pan last night, but after the first run, the seasoning looked AWFUL. When I did it on cast iron, I remember a much more even look, whereas with the de Buyer it was streaky and splotchy. Not sticky, but it didn't look right at all. Some googling turned up the fact that carbon steel doesn't take to that seasoning method quite as well, and furthermore it doesn't need to be seasoned to the same degree cast iron does.

This morning I boiled water and vinegar in the pan, got as much of the seasoning off as I could, then did two very light flax oil coats stovetop. I then fried some very fatty bacon, and wiped that down leaving a thin coat. Then I figured what the hell, let's fry an egg. <1 Tbsp butter, room temp egg cracked right into the pan, and....

NO STICKING! It glided around like a figure skater. This pan rocks!

My steel pans, when new, were slick like this, but repeated use has given them a accumulation of seasoning from food, and now they are smooth but not non-stick. A shame.