• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazed Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers

Gifted Gourmet

I did it.

Here it is.

gallery_31652_2254_2777.jpg

All I can say is that I went in to this with an open mind, not really knowing how it would taste. I wasn't expecting much but didn't think it would taste too bad.

It was one of the worst gastronomic experiences I have ever had. I have documented it in much more detail here if you are interested.

http://www.foodologist.com/?p=34

The only thing left to really say about this is...Dont try this at home!!!

Edited by Doc-G (log)

I did it.

Here it is.

All I can say is that I went in to this with an open mind, not really knowing how it would taste. I wasn't expecting much but didn't think it would taste too bad.

It was one of the worst gastronomic experiences I have ever had. I have documented it in much more detail here if you are interested.

Thanks for taking one for the team! I think you're braver than most.

For the record, I choose D.

Edited by Tweety69bird (log)

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

It was one of the worst gastronomic experiences I have ever had.

You're a better man than me -- well done, and thank you. I'm relieved to hear it was terrible, because the prospect of something like that tasting good just sounds depressing.

I did it.

Here it is.

You are a very brave soul indeed Doc-G. But I have to ask: why the tomato sauce and why no bacon? Afterall, it's supposed to be a Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger. Should this really be considered an "official" entry? :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

You are a very brave soul indeed Doc-G.  But I have to ask: why the tomato sauce and why no bacon?  Afterall, it's supposed to be a Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger.  Should this really be considered an "official" entry?  :laugh:

low fat beef + tomato sauce - bacon - grilled doughnut != the luther burger.

that is not an official entry. thanks for playing, and please try again.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

My imagination created the Krispy Kreme Bacon (or not) Cheeseburger with no condiments whatsoever. Just a split glazed donut with a grilled hamburger patty topped with melted cheese and crispy bacon in between the doughnut halves. Maybe even with the insides of the doughnut quickly toasted under a broiler, if that would not happen to completely disintegrate/incinerate the doughnut itself in the process, but NO CONDIMENTS!!! That ketchup looks disgusting!!! Imagine mustard...gack! Imagine mayonnaise...urk!

Edited by CMA (log)

Do whatever you want with it. Put bacon or anything else in it. It will still be disgusting!

btw No one else seems to be doing it and for good reason...its bloody awful

source for post
The burger, which was introduced at Gateway’s December 10th sale, consists of a thick and juicy burger topped with sharp cheddar cheese and two slices of bacon. The burger is then placed in between each side of a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut.”

Actually, this sounds not unlike the Luther Burger named after (the late) singer Luther Vandross ... seems, according to Snopes.com, that he made the burger but had no bread in the house and opted instead for using a Krispy Kreme doughnut .. a mix of salty and sweet tastes ...

Does this sound:

(a) temptingly different? :biggrin:

(b) bizarre and repellant? :blink:

© a bit too heavy on calories? :hmmm:

(d) "this one scares even me!" :shock:

it's sad but the "luther burger" may explain, at least in part, why mr. vandross is no longer with us. :sad:

Ok all you 'ultra-trash cuisine' food snobs!

Here is the version with bacon. So not putting in Tomato sauce improves the flavour slightly and caramelisation of the bacon lends itself to the sweetness of the donut. That said however after some advice from readers, I also fried the donut in the bacon fat for that full Luther burger experience. The overwhelming mouthfeel of grease and fat on the palate however gives this version a worse mouthfeel than the last version with the Tomato Sauce.

gallery_31652_2254_3404.jpg

Even if you ask nicely, this is something that I will not repeat again EVER!!!

If you want more pictures, then some of you are just going to have to get off your high horses and do it yourselves!!!

For the sake of accuracy, I have updated my my full article, which is posted here.

Thankyou all for your feedback!

Doc-G

inspiration move me brightly...

so here i am at work

3:39am

reading this topic...

so there is this cat who

always brings in Krispy Kreme when he stars his shift @ 2am.

i had a couple of ounces of foie grois...

i just ate a krispy kreme glazed doughnut

with foie grois. it was pretty good.

i would do it again.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ok all you 'ultra-trash cuisine' food snobs!

Here is the version with bacon. So not putting in Tomato sauce improves the flavour slightly and caramelisation of the bacon lends itself to the sweetness of the donut. That said however after some advice from readers, I also fried the donut in the bacon fat for that full Luther burger experience. The overwhelming mouthfeel of grease and fat on the palate however gives this version a worse mouthfeel than the last version with the Tomato Sauce.

gallery_31652_2254_3404.jpg

Even if you ask nicely, this is something that I will not repeat again EVER!!!

If you want more pictures, then some of you are just going to have to get off your high horses and do it yourselves!!!

For the sake of accuracy, I have updated my my full article, which is posted here.

Thankyou all for your feedback!

Doc-G

Doc-G I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say that you have indeed gone way above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. :smile: No doubt, for performing this public act of culinary self-flagellation you are most definitely the shit! (BTW, in America-speak, that's a good thing.) As for your observation on your website that......

If McDonalds bought out Krispy Kreme, is this the sort of dish we could expect to find in the future.

............well they've already done that. Behold:

The Bacon, Egg and Cheese McGriddle

Eerily similar to the Luther Burger is it not? Note that the pancakes for this breakfast treat are sweet, just like the Krispy Kreme donut.

Care to go for the hat trick and take a bite outta that? :rolleyes:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 1 year later...

That is genuinely disgusting. :huh:

ETA: I don't watch Paula Deen (apparently with good reason, if this is the kind of "recipe" she promotes), but why is this the "Ladies" brunch burger? As a woman (though I've rarely been accused of being a lady), I think I'm offended. :raz:

Edited by BekkiM (log)
Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I didn't realize until now that The Luther Burger is actually something people tried to replicate in their own homes. A few years ago, while working for a record company, I heard the story about Luther Vandross falling off the diet wagon and craving a burger. Having nothing around for bread, he instead used two donuts to cradle the burger. The colleague who told me this story claimed to have heard Luther admit this during an interview. I'd like to believe it's true. :raz:

No great shock that Paula Deen would pick up on this recipe.

Edited by abooja (log)

That is genuinely disgusting.  :huh:

ETA: I don't watch Paula Deen (apparently with good reason, if this is the kind of "recipe" she promotes), but why is this the "Ladies" brunch burger?  As a woman (though I've rarely been accused of being a lady), I think I'm offended.   :raz:

Amen and thank you!

eta I ate peanut butter and bacon fudge for breakfast so what do I know (it is the moon I swear I am not "normally" like this)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I didn't realize until now that The Luther Burger is actually something people tried to replicate in their own homes.  A few years ago, while working for a record company, I heard the story about Luther Vandross falling off the diet wagon and craving a burger.  Having nothing around for bread, he instead used two donuts to cradle the burger.  The colleague who told me this story claimed to have heard Luther admit this during an interview.  I'd like to believe it's true.  :raz:

No great shock that Paula Deen would pick up on this recipe.

The Luther burger was mentioned in other threads about this concoction. Should be called the "Lucifer Burger," because I imagine it's hell on your system. BTW, check out the House Seasoning. It looks like a tbsp. of that would blow the top of a sphynomanometer.

I watched Paula Deen once, and she was making some dish, and she said this, for real:

"I'm just gonna throw some butter in there, not because the recipe calls for it, but just because I had some out here on the counter and just thought I'd throw some in"

Seriously. And this is, pretty much, what her entire show is like. Bad food that's bad for you.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

That is genuinely disgusting.  :huh:

ETA: I don't watch Paula Deen (apparently with good reason, if this is the kind of "recipe" she promotes), but why is this the "Ladies" brunch burger?  As a woman (though I've rarely been accused of being a lady), I think I'm offended.  :raz:

Her restaurant / catering operation is called Lady and Sons.

This has been making the rounds on the Internet.  Thought I would share.  It's called the Lady's Brunch Burger: a hamburger, two strips of bacon and a fried egg sandwiched between two glazed donuts "buns":  http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re..._127127,00.html

(sigh) This I why I stopped watching Food TV.

Yeah, that thing has been in my "away" message on Google Talk/AIM for a while now. It's horrifying.

BTW, check out this post early on in this thread.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory