• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazed Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers

Gifted Gourmet

As I recall someone pointing out when the Luther sandwich surfaced in a previous thread, this concept is actually not all that far removed from that of a Monte Cristo sandwich (which are often griddled or fried, and then sprinkled with powdered sugar). In fact, I'm tempted to nickname this burger/doughnut creation a "redneck Monte Cristo" :

The Monte Cristo connection occured to me as well, which didn't make it seem any more palatable.

There have been many times when I've combined foodstuffs in ways that disturbed my fellow diners; many of you have experienced the same thing. A BITE of hamburger, then a BITE of a donut...okay, that I can grasp, even if I wouldn't be first in line to taste it. But a whole Krispy Kreme Meat Donut? At once?! The whole concept of moderation exists for a reason, the reason being the likelihood of becoming a footnote on one of those cautionary shows on the Discovery Health Channel.

I give this very bad idea a G, as in Get It Away From Me. :blink:

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

No wonder the US has a problem with obesity.

Ahem, cough, cough! and then there is Japan, land of tea and fish and healthy foods ...

From the article linked.

"Still, the Japanese are a long way from being as fat as Americans. Only 24 percent of Japanese aged 15 and older are believed to be overweight, compared to about 65 percent of adults in the United States."

I just think it's bizarre.

And it strikes me that at a time when we're worrying more and more about how fat we're all getting (myself included), we seem to be hell bent on concocting more and more extremely high-fat, high-calorie foods. If the cookie and candy bar companies don't do it, count on the fast food/junk food people. Regardless of how it tastes, when will we, collectively as a nation, come to our senses and understand that it's just not reasonable to eat something like this?

If I wanted to blow my calorie allotment for the day, I'd rather do it on... I don't know, something made with quality ingredients, cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. Not something that's thrown together for the sheer sport of seeing if anyone will be stupid enough to actually eat it.

I just think it's bizarre.

And it strikes me that at a time when we're worrying more and more about how fat we're all getting (myself included), we seem to be hell bent on concocting more and more extremely high-fat, high-calorie foods.  If the cookie and candy bar companies don't do it, count on the fast food/junk food people.  Regardless of how it tastes, when will we, collectively as a nation, come to our senses and understand that it's just not reasonable to eat something like this?

If I wanted to blow my calorie allotment for the day, I'd rather do it on... I don't know, something made with quality ingredients, cooked by someone who knows what they're doing.  Not something that's thrown together for the sheer sport of seeing if anyone will be stupid enough to actually eat it.

jgm - you are spot on.

Good post. :smile:

(e) Why the heck not? I've tried other things in the line of gastronomic duty that didn't sound too attractive -- my first meal consisting of raw fish, say.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

What about you, Gifted Gourmet??  :hmmm:

I am usually game to try something "different" just to see how it tastes together ... the components I actually like: the burger, the bacon, the cheese, the sweet doughnut....

I might try it together and then separate out the components that seem to go well together ... the cheese + doughnut sound the worst .. the bacon and the doughnut sound okay .. you get my drift ... more than once? :wink: highly doubtful .... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

d) Yuck!

For me Krispy Kreme are over sweet and fatty.  Combine that with more fatty meat, bacon and cheese and you have a coronary special. No wonder the US has a problem with obesity.

Why not batter and deep fry the lot and serve it on a stick?

Yes, there's an obesity problem in the U.S. because we're all running around eating bacon cheeseburgers on Krispy Kreme buns. Problem identified! :laugh:

Seriously, though, that's just nasty.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

The more I think about , the more I go --- hmmmmmm. Can't be worse tasting, though less "healthy" than a pbj, an item that literally makes me gag. I'm guessing that the sweet in the doughnut would be overpowered by those righteous beef, bacon and cheese flavors.

Oh, come on! It's a sin, and doubtful on every front. Let's don our shades, slink down in our seats and give it a shot. In the words of Byron, we can do sermons and soda water the day after.

Edited to add: If we're being Calvinistic here, is the pricey Ducasse foie gras burger good for our heart or our hips, no matter how seductive the taste? No one blames that burger for our national obesity!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yes, there's an obesity problem in the U.S. because we're all running around eating bacon cheeseburgers on Krispy Kreme buns.  Problem identified! :laugh:

Gee, and I thought the new Devil in Disguise were the sickly sweet sodas which we swill with abandon .. and which make our petite pancreases put out gobs of insulin and the fat goes pouring over our ventricles ...

Soooo, which food is the true antiChrist? :angry:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

i'd try it. this sorta thing runs along the same lines asa a deep fried mars bar. the idea of it just sounds like it's cloging your arteries just hearing about it but given a shot proves to be decent. and the deep fried mars bar is known all around the world

bork bork bork

I've never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut, but I'd have to go with b,c, and/or d. I like some doughnuts and burgers, but the combination doesn't sound very appealing...

I'm not really surprised that someone came up with this idea, though...

I'll go with A, but then I'm the one that eats raspberry preserves with my breakfast sausages! :laugh:

judiu try real maple syrup...

back to the answer to the question - b,c and d :hmmm:

I have, and I love it. Hmmmm, maybe a sausage patty on a Krispy Kreme? :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

In case you're still hungry after that bacon sandwich, a minor league baseball team in Illinois has created the donut sandwich.

Article here

We kid you not. The Gateway Grizzlies of the Frontier League promised to create "Baseball's Best Burger" in time for the team's opener in late May. And they appear to have succeeded.

The ballpark sandwich will include a hamburger topped with sharp cheddar cheese and two slices of bacon -- all between a "bun" of Krispy Kreme Original Glazed donuts.

If you can find a (loop)hole in your cardiologist's advice, calorie counters predict the monster will set you back about 1,000 calories and 45 grams of fat.

I'm not sure how well this would go with a beer though :unsure:

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Melissa Goodman beat you to it: Donut Burger post

I'm not sure how well this would go with a beer though

I can't imagine the beer that would work with this. I'm still stuck on 'no thank you' for the burger :wink:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Not to question anyone else's taste here--far from it. Still, I find myself intrigued by the intensity of some of the reactions.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about, say, balut or something here. And as has already been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, there are innumerable threads on eGullet waxing rhapsodic about food items far more "unhealthy" (if a bit more familiar and well-known) than this red-neck Monte Cristo.

Nor do I mean that I'd be bellying up to be the first to taste this baby myself--like I said, it ain't on my diet either. But I was a lot more icked out by a recent link in another thread to really exotic-to-me "goodies" on a stick (starfish, seahorses, scorpions) than this critter.

Again--thoroughly *not* questioning people's rights to their particular opinions. Just ... a very slight bit startled, is all.

(Heh, and I must confess I will be mightily tempted to reference this thread, among others, the next time I happen upon one of those recurrent eGullet threads inveighing against the U.S. cultural diet obsession and/or anti-fat bias ... :biggrin: )

Edited by mizducky (log)

Not to question anyone else's taste here--far from it. Still, I find myself intrigued by the intensity of some of the reactions.

Well, I hate cheeseburgers, so that's part of it. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Eh. I would try a bite, because I'll try a bite of anything if it's offered to me. I would never choose to order it, though, or make it. It's like, a heart attack on a plate. And Krispy Kreme? Ew. Couldn't they at least have picked a higher quality, more substantial donut? I can't even begin to think how messy and sloppy and greasy this would be to eat. It's making me feel like I've put on ten pounds just thinking about it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I mean, it's not like we're talking about, say, balut or something here. And as has already been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, there are innumerable threads on eGullet waxing rhapsodic about food items far more "unhealthy" (if a bit more familiar and well-known) than this red-neck Monte Cristo.

Nor do I mean that I'd be bellying up to be the first to taste this baby myself--like I said, it ain't on my diet either. But I was a lot more icked out by a recent link in another thread to really exotic-to-me "goodies" on a stick (starfish, seahorses, scorpions) than this critter.

Again--thoroughly *not* questioning people's rights to their particular opinions. Just ... a very slight bit startled, is all.

(Heh, and I must confess I will be mightily tempted to reference this thread, among others, the next time I happen upon one of those recurrent eGullet threads inveighing against the U.S. cultural diet obsession and/or anti-fat bias ... :biggrin: )

Maybe it's just the sheer vulgar gluttonous over-the-topness of it. "Red-neck Monte Cristo" is pretty much right on the money: it's the Monte Cristo squared. Can't even pretend this sucker is exotic (like scorpions on a stick) (anyone for a garnish of lark's vomit? Anyone?), not even if you squint really hard, nor can you extend to it a sort of anthropological nonjudgement (as with scorpions on a stick).

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"