• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazed Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers

Gifted Gourmet

Put me down as another B. Keep perfectly good cheese awwaaaayy from perfectly good donuts. Damnit.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

But has anybody from here tried this??? Somebody get out there in the name of research and taste one of these things for the rest of us too-icked-out folks, ok?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

And Krispy Kreme? Ew. Couldn't they at least have picked a higher quality, more substantial donut? I can't even begin to think how messy and sloppy and greasy this would be to eat.

Yeah, that's the other part...I can't imagine the KK being able to stand up to the heft of the loaded-down burger. And it's sticky. Talk about a mess! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

photograph of our discussion's focus ...
Since this er, thing, delivers 1000 calories, 45 grams of which are fat (the average person consumes 2000 calories per day, and fat should not provide more than 30% of those calories), I think it qualifies nicely for an Illinois "sin tax", or at least a special monetary deposit to cover the cost of the cardiologist, don't you?
:hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

But has anybody from here tried this???  Somebody get out there in the name of research and taste one of these things for the rest of us too-icked-out folks, ok?

My son made Luther Vandross burgers for his Friday Hamburger Club. They make a different type of hamburger each Friday on a teacher's George Foreman grill. Another student said the only way to make this one better would have been to deep fry it.

Maybe it's just the sheer vulgar gluttonous over-the-topness of it.

Well, they are teenage boys, after all.

I just think it's bizarre.

And it strikes me that at a time when we're worrying more and more about how fat we're all getting (myself included), we seem to be hell bent on concocting more and more extremely high-fat, high-calorie foods.  If the cookie and candy bar companies don't do it, count on the fast food/junk food people.  Regardless of how it tastes, when will we, collectively as a nation, come to our senses and understand that it's just not reasonable to eat something like this?

I do to. (BCD for me) The companies that come up with this stuff know exactly what they are doing. They know Americans are addicted to greasy rich foods and sugar, which is why they put sugar in things like canned green beans for Chrissake. (And the diet foods industry is the other half of the equation.) So it was only a matter of time before they did it.

I wonder what's next? Here are my candidates:

Candied fried crispy bacon fat

Fried chicken tenders with caramel dipping sauce

I almost said fried beef with orange syrup, but the Chinese beat us to it...;)

Fatty pork sausage with maple sugar cream filling :)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Let's not get too carried away with the villainy of corporate America trying to make us fat by debuting doubtful hamburgers! Fine restaurants do it too. Same city, (Sweet Home Chicago) two burgers. Check out the Kobe Beef foie gras truffle mayo on a brioche burger rhapsodized about here at the lauded Sweets and Savories restaurant. Let's skip the heart attack on a plate metaphor and move immediately to orgasm on cunning restaurant dinnerware.

On Wednesday, this hunk 'o burnin' love is ten bucks. (Not including your choice of starchy side, the duck fat frites or the lobster mashed potatoes.) It's in a whole different world gastronomically from the KK burger, but it's probably even worse for your health. Should we be picketing the restaurant for foisting this cardiac cannonball upon us?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I agree, Maggie. My repulsion in this case comes from what I imagine it would taste like - the high fat content is a whole other issue.

After all, you're talking to a girl who's eaten foie gras creme brulee - I'm hardly in a position to judge here.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I wonder what's next? Here are my candidates:

Candied fried crispy bacon fat

Fried chicken tenders with caramel dipping sauce

I almost said fried beef with orange syrup, but the Chinese beat us to it...;)

Fatty pork sausage with maple sugar cream filling  :)

I already candied bacon for a porkfest not too long ago...

Toffee covered bacon..

gallery_15057_2091_569471.jpg

Toffee covered bacon..

Oh, my god....this looks EXACTLY like a decayed tooth I found when going through grave goods from a early 20th century coffin last semester...if I can find the photo, I'll post it. :blink:

[shudder]

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Check out Seattle's foie gras burger on a donut hole in Henry's foodblog.

Heh. I noticed that dish right off, Maggie. So, folks--what's the verdict? Is the concept of animal-protein-on-donut even a wee bit more appealing when it's a petite slice of foie gras on a doughnut-hole served up by a haute-cuisine restaurant? :biggrin:

Toffee covered bacon..

Oh, my god....this looks EXACTLY like a decayed tooth I found when going through grave goods from a early 20th century coffin last semester...if I can find the photo, I'll post it. :blink:

[shudder]

Okay, I guess there's a lot of us here who are going to have to amicably agree to disagree with each other. I do feel the need to point out that when Daniel presented this morsel as part of his oink-fest topic, it was greeted with hosannahs and salivations. (Even moreso when the toffee bacon wound up as part of a chocolate cake).

Now please understand that this is once again *not* to question each individual's right to their own opinions and tastes, nor to say that any person's opinion is *right* or *wrong*--but rather to gently point out that there are in fact a variety of opinions on this topic. S'alright? :smile:

(Hell--and I'm the woman who, in other topics I can't even remember, expressed a dislike for sweet ingredients mixed in with savory food--although that was more about, say, raisins embedded in savory dishes ... still, I hereby confess my own major inconsistency on the underlying concept. :laugh: )

DD.

But not for the reasons you might think. Like Luther Vandross's career, KKD shares have been in the hole for quite a while now, trading as low as 10% of their peak value of $44. Not only was the rise of Krispy Kreme hard on our teeth, but signalled moral decay as well.

So these bald stabs at publicity should warrant the same cynicism as the flaccid product itself. Clearly this is a thinly-veiled conspiracy and I sense an Oliver Stone movie in the making.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Let's not get too carried away with the villainy of corporate America trying to make us fat by debuting doubtful hamburgers!  Fine restaurants do it too. Same city, (Sweet Home Chicago) two burgers.  Check out the Kobe Beef foie gras truffle mayo on a brioche burger rhapsodized about here at the  lauded Sweets  and Savories restaurant.  Let's skip the heart attack  on a plate metaphor and move immediately to orgasm on cunning restaurant dinnerware.

On Wednesday, this hunk  'o burnin' love is ten bucks. (Not including your choice of starchy side, the duck fat frites or the lobster mashed potatoes.)  It's in a whole different world gastronomically from the KK burger, but it's probably even worse for your health.  Should we be picketing the restaurant for foisting this cardiac cannonball upon us?

Oh my. I am so pissed that I missed that thread before I went to Chicago last year. That looks amazing.

OK, I only eat ground beef once in awhile, and then it usually doesn't make it to any cooking surfaces, but, here's my contribution. I'd try this IF it was a slightly different concotion. Ground beef burger, prepared black and blue, served in a warm, freshly fried cake doughnut, unglazed, a few grinds of black pepper added and then topped with a fresh chopped tomato, a drizzle of roasted carrot infused oil and some home made sweet pickle slices. Hmm. That sounds divine! Maybe even some fresh mayonnaise, in place of the carrot infused oil, if you're feeling like a glutton. But, the cheese? Even a decent cheddar elicits a NO from my taste buds. I just don't think that the combination of flavors would be great.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 2 months later...

Cute or scary, depending on one's point of view. Also sad that they have to do this to encourage attendance.

The story.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We made Krispy Kreme burgers one time on a visit to Cincinnati when we happened to notice a 24-hour Rally's and a 24-hour Krispy Kreme sharing a parking lot and I decided it was a sign. It wasn't bad -- even the people who didn't like it agreed it "tasted less weird" than the egg and cheese McGriddle (which I like, a little).

I've seen a few mentions of them in other places online.

If they really want to make it the world's unhealthiest burger (and how does it compare calorically to those foie gras/short rib numbers?), they need to make it a Krispy Kreme butterburger.

"That it packs up to 1,000 calories — the donut alone has 10 grams of sugar — doesn't seem to faze diabetic diner Floyd Schuetz.

“Oh, I’ll have another one of these,” he says. "

Yikes..