• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grey Cup Desserts

Pam R

My family will be getting together for Grey Cup viewing on Sunday. As per tradition, dinner will be Chinese delivered from our favourite spot. But I was thinking it could be fun to bake a couple of things for dessert.

This year we need something for both sides (I'm not sure how this is going to work . .) so I need something blue and gold and something green. All I can think of is a blueberry/lemon pie (lemon curd with some kind of blueberry sauce) and . . lime.

I'm not really excited about the pie idea. Anybody have a good suggestion? Anybody baking anything special?

Gold and blue, and green... Hmmm How about a lemon-blueberry pound cake and a white chocolate mint fudge tinted a lite green with food coloring? Oh, I know! Watergate Salad (pistachio pudding, pineapple, coolwhip etc.) from the Jello website? :raz: HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. I need two desserts. The first one blue and gold (yellow) the second one green.

I'm allergic to pistachios. But thanks!

How about making Earl Grey tea ice cream?

Bomber fans can put blueberries and golden caramel sauce on top, while the Rider fans can . . . . . . who cares! :biggrin:

I hear Lenny Kravitz is playing at halftime.

useless factoid: the Grey Cup is named after Albert the 4th Earl whereas the tea is named after Charles the 2nd Earl Grey. Pretty sure Albert also gave his name to the Street in Toronto's east end and the town of Earl Grey near Regina.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I like the Earl Grey idea . . but it may be a little cool here for ice cream. But maybe I could do something with Earl Grey (cookies?) and green tea (also cookies?).

We shall not ignore the Rider fans (dad grew up in Sask. so this is a win-win Grey Cup). Now that I'm getting into this idea, there needs to be something green.

Blueberries and caramel . . sounds very good.

Maple would be a great Canadian flavour, but for some reason I'm stuck on the colour. And I want something for each team.

I'm going to swing by the grocery store on my way home from work today. I'll see what they have that looks good, but these are the things I'm thinking of playing with:

lemon

lime

pear

green apple

blueberry (frozen/dried)

Earl Grey and green tea (shortbread?)

pineapple (mini upside-down cakes?)

Cupcakes are also a good idea. But I'm thinking I want this dessert to be made up of different things. Tart, cookie, maybe a creme brulee, etc. Then again, it's been a long time since I've had a cupcake . . .

Am I the only one baking something for Sunday?

I'm not sure why but when I think of the crowd at a Grey Cup game (I realize you'll be watching from home) I think of jello. You could layer the blue and gold, make a thick layer of green and make it finger jello consistency. Then you could cut it out in the shape of each team's logo. :wink:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I think I'm on a different wavelength! I have limes, lemons, pears, green apples, pineapple and frozen wild blueberries.

I have a few things in mind . . we'll have to see how it plays out. Think of this as a dessert sampling, a tasting if you will.

Normally, a Key Lime pie is a pale yellowish color. I once had the GM of a restaurant ask me to add green food coloring to it so it would be green; the chef refused to even consider it so we didn't. But I always thought it would be one of those "St Patrick's Day" things where everything gets food coloring added to it whether it looks good or not.

But, it's an idea. I wouldn't do it with a lemon curd tart with blueberries (too close in texture) but if you are doing an Earl Grey tea cake - or Earl Grey truffles that would work. Or make the truffle filling and use that to fill the tart shell and do something entirely different for the green.

Not knowing you were were allergic to pistachios, I was going to suggest the pistachio marzipan truffle roll cookies from RLB's Christmas Cookie book. They're the perfect color!

Sigh. Close.

But at least we had good dessert!

gallery_25849_641_59951.jpg

It wasn't all completely successful (kind of like the Bombers), but it was all tasty.

Bottom left, light green. My first attempt at a macaron. No feet and it cracked. :sad: Filled with lime curd lightened with a little whipped cream.

To the right, a 'football' choux puff filled with Earl Grey pastry cream. Yum. (like the football shape??)

To the right of that, a blueberry Napoleon. Puff (thanks President's Choice), layered with whipped cream and then I cooked down some frozen wild blueberries with a little sugar. Iced with icing sugar/lemon juice - the blue lines just had a little blue dye. Scary looking, but tasty.

Finally, the pineapple upside-down. I don't know why, but I had it in my mind from the beginning. The yellow doesn't show in the picture as well as it did in person. Cake had a lot of allspice in it and I made some extra rum-caramel to pour on top.

It was fun. We enjoyed it while watching the second half of the game. Next year :wink: .

Still and all, a good effort Pam! I love President's Choice puff pastry.

Since Toronto was not playing, I was obligated to root for Saskatchewan, seeing as that is my husband's home province. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mom is allergic to kiwis. Damn allergies.

I was trying to figure out what I could do with pears or green apples that would keep their bright green colours. But I was stumped.

Of course, next year we might need completely different colours. We could do several Earl Grey flavoured desserts. I was pleasantly surprised by the cream puff.