• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dealing with invasive species by eating them? Not everyone's cup of knot weed.

Click

"Not only is eating invasive species a solution, but we’re taking pressure off the food system, saving resources,” says McMaster. “Japanese knotweed is incredible, it’s like a mix of asparagus and rhubarb.” At Silo it is on the menu year-round, used in more than 20 menu items, made into pickles and ferments and even used in cocktails. In Japan it is considered a delicacy."

"But eating invasive species is not without its critics. As with any wild plant, misidentification is a concern. “People can become seriously ill from eating plants they misidentify, and often there are edible plants that look very similar to poisonous ones,” says the Royal Horticultural Society. “Instead of eating them we would recommend managing their spread with physical or cultural controls.” And for professional forager Adrian Boots, neither Japanese knotweed nor Himalayan balsam offer much in the flavour department, “though some will try to convince you otherwise,” he says.

Edited by Anna N
To fix broken link (log)
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Locally there's been an invasion of hemlock. It looks like it would saute-up great.  Its in the carrot family

But its poisonous as heck.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24122-poison-hemlock

Just ask Socrates...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning