• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Anna N

Breakfast 2020!

Not often I have anything sweet for breakfast. Strawberry jam on commercial white bread. Such bread usually has a high sugar content and thus makes fabulous toast.
  3. rotuts

Blast chillers

@teonzo I take it you have a BC what model ? what do you use it for ?
  4. teonzo

Blast chillers

Absolutely no problems, done that countless times without troubles, both with solids and liquids. Teo
  5. suzilightning

Dinner 2020

Just how my mom made her shad roe
  6. I won't have a chance to play until Monday. This weekend I'm running a second branch circuit out to my basement kitchen extension. Too many gadgets, not enough Amps... What are you putting food containers on while waiting for the missing shelf? Just the chiller floor? Tried any GN1/2 pans?
  7. I wish I'd thought of jalapeno! I have 2 in the refrigerator, and that would have given it a nice kick. In addition, I have some of that ginormous crunchy corn squirreled away - bought specially after I learned about it in a cooking class back home last fall. It's somewhere in this Princessmobile. Didn't think of either of those possibilities last night. I need to unearth that mais chulpa.
  8. rotuts

Breakfast 2020!

Moe : Ill light a candle.
  9. @ElsieD wow , those look soooooo good. congratulations
  10. Well, I think I finally nailed it.
  11. gfweb

Blast chillers

So how will you use the BC?
  12. Today
  13. I imagine that if you kept your blast chilled items in the middle of the self defrosting freezer (not near the walls) and surrounded by other frozen stuff you should be ok.
  14. shain

Dinner 2020

Thanks, I actually always assumed frozen are better. I guess I expected them to be overcooked during canning.
  15. rotuts

Blast chillers

@teonzo if Im here next spring , and fully vaccinated and I get the 25 % off then maybe . I wonder if you can blast - freeze SV bags and the bag doesnt suffer the manual says to BF items not in containers or I think it said that. my list for next spring is getting quite long , BTW
  16. this ref comes from Sweetmaria's where i buy my green coffee beans and don't work : https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/new-video-air-roasts-closeup-on-roast-levels/ as Ive mentioned , their air popper is only $ 20 , and comes w 4 lbs of green coffee they select the beans , but they don't sell ' seconds ' if you enjoy your cup of coffee , Ill warn you right now you will become hooked on roasting your own , better , cheaper , and the blend is completely up to you ! pls post if you try this.
  17. BeeZee

Dinner 2020

I only added them at the very end just to warm them so they didn’t get too chewy. The pieces were quite small, I would not call them chopped, much of it was more of a minced size, in the future I might use them for a seafood soup or they might be OK in a fritter/pancake type of application. No comparison to fresh, and texture wise, probably marginally better than frozen. Keep in mind that brands may differ, these were Snows.
  18. I got my grocery order Wednesday...only two items were no-shows, the elusive lamb shanks and living thyme. Same day pickup, no delays. I didn't order anything that was virus related, i.e., handwipes, Purell, TP or alcohol. This time Lucy got her chicken livers; which made her quite happy. There was a major uptick in the amount of curbside orders...this was the first time I had to wait in line to get mine due to the spreading of the word that for now there is no courtesy fee, anything free brings people out of the woodwork; people who would never order online if it meant there was an extra charge. I have been ordering about once a week and it works well for me. No more schlepping up and down the aisles or avoiding people who stand too close.
  19. I think that is what attracts people to the Peruvian twist with cooked yam and ginormous crunchy corn. -more textural and flavor variety.
  20. Ann_T

Breakfast 2020!

I had enough dough left from Tuesday's batch to make two pizzas last night and a baguette. And a couple of Italian sausages left. So I fried them this morning along with some green peppers and onions and made Moe a sandwich for breakfast.
  21. Ann_T

Dinner 2020

@BKEats, thank you.
  22. If that booth is based mainly on the filter, then you are going to change it pretty frequently, I would say after each use. It doesn't take much cocoa butter to "clog" it, when the filter is dirt then that booth is not effective anymore. No doubt it works well with a clean filter, I wonder how it performs after 30 minutes of spraying. This is another added cost, those filters won't be that cheap. The efficiency of a spray booth depends on the fan, the more powerful it is, the more efficient the booth. Doesn't change much if the air is sucked through a perfect filter, or if it is vented outside, what you want is the air to be sucked before it gets out from the front of the booth. The difference is in the maintenance costs: with this CakeSafe model you have the costs of the filters, with a custom made model you have the costs of cleaning the fan. I would say that you spend less money going the custom made way, with the plus that you get it exactly as you want (shape, measures, so on). Teo
  23. Seems like you are using the wrong flour, the gluten is not developing enough during the proofing. Or the flour has low gluten content, or it has strong gluten (wrong P/L, not enough extensible). This is because the butter got too hard. You need to store it in the warmer part of your fridge. The resting time depends on the temperature of your fridge: you want the gluten to relax, but you also want to avoid the butter to get hard. You don't have to follow the exact resting times, you need to check the dough pliability. Start checking after 10 minutes, then after each 5 minutes. When the dough is back to the right pliability (not too soft, not too hard) then you need to proceed with the next turn, even if the resting time was half the amount suggested by the recipe, the one in command is the dough not the clock. When the butter gets hard then it's hard to avoid troubles. You need it to warm a bit and get back to be pliable. If you let the dough rest at room temperature then the outer sides will come back to the right pliability, while the inner parts will become too soft, causing the "toothpaste effect". If the dough starts tearing and you put it back in the fridge, then you only worsen the situation because the outer sides will become harder. This why your first goal is to avoid the butter getting hard, simply because fixing that trouble could be impossible. You just need to get a feel for when the dough is ready for the next turn, trusting your sense of touch and not your clock/timer. It's better to go for a longer proofing time at room temperature, than going too high. You need to be careful about humidity too, you don't want dry air otherwise the dough will form a crust, but you want to avoid too much humidity. One cup is more than enough, you just need to raise a bit the humidity inside the oven. This is because the dough was too cold, so the butter was hard. You need to let it warm a bit, until it becomes pliable again. Teo
  24. Right - that wasn't food at the BV! But it sure made you feel good. I got an Instacart delivery yesterday - zero meat (no pork, no beef, no poultry) and lots of substitutions, some of which I guess I approved.
  25. teonzo

Blast chillers

Yup, that's how things work. The blast chiller is for forming small crystals, then you store your food in a standard freezer. Teo
  26. teonzo

Blast chillers

@rotuts, time to make space in your kitchen. Teo
  1. Load more activity