• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Maybe you should link eG on your website.
  3. Kind of this. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve shouted, “Chocolate is a STUPID hobby!” when I’ve been frustrated by trying to work in my home kitchen Around my family’s meal schedule or traipsing all over the house to retrieve the equipment I have squirreled away wherever there’s room or trying to keep chocolate in temper for more than a handful of molds with just a melter or when I just haven’t had the right tool for the job. The reality is, it’s just really frustrating. I agree with everyone above. First purchase: more molds. Pick something easy to use, paint, and polish. I have 20 half-sphere molds and 15 dome molds and use those for almost everything. Second: a melter makes a huge difference. Third: the EXTemper legitimately saves me so much time. Good luck!
  4. Today
  5. I have yet to see a ramp outside of a jar.
  6. Oh sure, let’s pretend that we’re just being enabled and we have no responsibility. I am one of those,
  7. You guys are such enablers 🤣 I also bought a Soda Stream thing because I never seem to have enough seltzer in the house (I was lamenting the lack of seltzer when I spotted it on the Wm Sonoma site and figured since I was there, and with the 20% discount ....) I'm probably going to need a kitchen cart, come to think of it. I won't have to worry free-ing up counter space if I do that... Thank you
  8. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Tangerines and red onion "There's nothing to eat" pasta. = Small splat of meatball mix; red peppers; portobellos; onion; garlic; fresh basil; tomato paste; cream. Actually pretty good.
  9. @jedovaty Well it was either find the almond paste or find "finely ground blanched almond meal" and if I found that, I'd still have to make the paste. The recipe also provided an alternative filling of butter, cinnamon and sugar and I almost used that. I am glad that I found the paste though because it tasted a lot better than the marzipan that Charlie's ex used on her cakes.
  10. See yours and raise you 10...I have small, very small sack of ramp seed I bought several years ago at GREAT EXPENSE, still unplanted. And as I read online instructions, if I plant them now, I still may never see the results. Pray that ours will actually germinate.
  11. With the holiday coming up I need to make boxes of 6 bonbons for teachers, educational assistants, bus drivers and of course the neighbors. Fillings are black pepper and fig, browned butter bourbon, earl grey and orange caramel
  12. Lost Feast: Culinary Extinction and the Future of Food, by Lenore Newman. I'm only a few chapters in. It's in the rotation with two other depressing but non-food-related books: Shadow Network: Media, Money, and the Secret Hub of the Radical Right, by Anne Nelson; and Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?, by Bill McKibben
  13. Even us east coasters. I planted ramps in two great micro environments for them about 5 yrs ago. I get the same ramps I planted growing every year ....no proliferation. I may have to forage.
  14. lindag

Dinner 2019

Good for you!
  15. I believe I recall seeing the great results.
  16. gfweb

Dinner 2019

It’s a good deal when the meeting is in a cool place. I ought to wise up and stay longer.
  17. lindag

Dinner 2019

How wonderful!
  18. Bistro 110 closed in 2011. However, while there are fewer French restaurants around now than 20+ years ago, nationwide as well as in Chicago, there are still some great ones here in Chicago. Without a doubt, the best (and most expensive) is still Everest, now in its 34th year and still under the helm of Alsatian opening chef-owner Jean Joho. And there are numerous moderately-priced French bistros in the city and suburbs; if you're staying anywhere near downtown, you can't go wrong with La Sardine in the West Loop.
  19. I made this tonight. Browned the sausage (from these folks -- website and Facebook), as you mentioned. but in a big saute pan, then transferred to the IP. I didn't use any stock but I rinsed the tomato cans with some red wine. After seven hours I added oregano, garlic powder, salt and a small glug (is that an oxymoron?) of 10-year balsamic vinegar from Zingerman's; then cooked another two hours. Mixed it with gluten-free fusilli by Bionaturae (one of just two decent brands of g-f pasta, imo, the other being Schär) and cooked a little more. Superb.
  20. Dude, @Norm Matthews, almond paste is easy to make, that goes for marzipan, too. But I know all too well what happens when you have your mind set to go get something that should technically be right there in aisle 5b. @Kim Shook, wow, awesome! I recall you weren't the biggest fan of them, so it was nice to see that you liked them! If you make them again, consider brushing the egg wash on top of a few cookies, and sprinkle with the coarse sugar/salt when the cookies are almost done baking (so the sugar wouldn't melt). I tried this when I couldn't get the sugar on the perimeter to be as pronounced/crunchy. The result was an interesting cookie
  21. I've used the Philips to grill swordfish to my satisfaction.
  22. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Not a whim LOL Work!
  23. lindag

Dinner 2019

Wow! You travel to Amsterdam on a whim? That’s impressive. I’m envious.
  24. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Short trip to Amsterdam. Couple dinners photographed under dim light Appetizer was the Hollands visplateau and just excellent And then the fish of the day which I think was halibut. Also lovely Pate Duck confit
  25. You do realize what a kick in the gut your first sentence brings to us West Coasters? And/but of course, we do expect different flavors from fresh and dried. Still, sounds intriguing. Enjoy and please report back.
  26. This was my first attempt at making ramp powder, actually. Just low and slow in the dehydrator then blitzed in the blender. A glut of ramps this past spring led me to not only freeze but also dry them. A very unique (and different than other preservation techniques) flavour profile seems to get captured via the drying process.
  1. Load more activity