• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. kayb

Dinner 2019

Tonight's edition of delivery dinner was from the local Cajun joint. Boiled shrimp, new potatoes, corn on the cob. They did not send cocktail sauce (you have to ask??). Fortunately, I had ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire, lemons and hot sauce on hand. Problem solved. Kid had a fried bologna and cheese sandwich, with bread pudding for dessert. Pricy for a delivery dinner, but it was good. Shrimp hit the spot. Moving in nine days. If I live.
  3. JoNorvelleWalker

Lunch 2019

Conference center lunch...
  4. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Cojita & Panko Crusted Chicken Breast with Steamed Asparagus and Garlic Sauce
  5. Today
  6. kayb

Kitchen photos

Absolutely beautiful! I love the backsplash, and I wish I had the wine fridge!
  7. Jacksoup

Kitchen photos

Beautiful! I have very similar backsplash and floors in my much smaller kitchen. Great use of the space.
  8. Yesterday
  9. heidih

Gelatin powder

Some people use gelatin to give their broths and pan sauces a richer mouthfeel. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-use-gelatin-better-stock-sauce-dessert.html
  10. A true treasure! Steve Sando (Rancho Gordo) almost had her here at eG for a Q&A/interview around her magnificent Oaxaca al Gusto but she'd had a traumatizing public interview that put her off at the time. I love the book. Not necessarily to cook from but to absorb the traditions and learn about cooking methods and how simple ingredients are transformed. https://www.amazon.com/Oaxaca-Gusto-Infinite-Gastronomy-Hemisphere/dp/0292722664 https://www.ranchogordoblog.com/2011/01/some-bad-press-for-diana-kennedy.html
  11. gfweb

Kitchen photos

That is stunning!
  12. teonzo

Gelatin powder

Panna cotta?
  13. Captain

Dinner 2019

BBq large chicken wings. Some with a Mex spice blend, some with Asian marinade and some with hot spice blend. Very satisfying.
  14. Cantankerous and a disdain for mediocrity and weak scotch...what's not to love?
  15. lindag

Kitchen photos

Great job! I love it.
  16. sartoric

Dinner 2019

I’ve been lurking at the Japanese supermarket here. Last night was ginger garlic chicken wings, spinach dressed with sesame, pickles (well, kimchi) rice, miso soup with egg and sake. I even made my own dashi. It’s not Japan, but I’m happy with this.
  17. eugenep

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

don't think so - like I believe it'll turn stringy-e (like pizza cheese) something about the protein mesh structure that makes it non-ideal for melting cheese unlike ricotta (I believe) and some Latin frying cheese that's "coagulated?" with vinegar
  18. oofencocotte

Gelatin powder

i'm clearing out the cupboards and I found one 10g sachet of gelatin powder. Does anyone have a good use for this? I can't remember why I bought it!
  19. I had a problem with your link, so searched again and used: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/dining/diana-kennedy.html Interesting article!
  20. Kerry Beal

collapsed chocolate shells?

How about a combination of invert and glucose. Glucose about 50% of the free water and invert 5-7% of free water (I've also seen 2-3% of total weight of recipe).
  21. Shelby

Kitchen photos

Beautiful @liamsaunt !
  22. FauxPas

Kitchen photos

Wow! Stunning makeover! I love what you did. Did you replace the window also? Do you have drawer or cupboards in the island? Are those quartz countertops?
  23. liamsaunt

Kitchen photos

I finished a remodel of my main kitchen a couple of months ago. I waited almost five years after buying the house to remodel so I could be sure of how I wanted to use the space and what I wanted to put in it. The first two photos are of the old kitchen, as it looked when we bought the house (these are the listing photos so the stuff on the counters and pot racks are the prior owners'). The second two are of the remodel. You can see that I replaced the eat in area with another wall of storage/counter space and a wine fridge. The eat in area is not necessary as there is a dining room in the room behind the stove. That dining room seats four--six in a pinch. I have a second, much larger dining room in another area of the house that I use on the weekends when extended family and/or friends are eating with us. Old kitchen (Copper backsplash, black appliances, dark wood, green corian counters and evil white tile floor that never looked clean) New kitchen
  24. Diana Kennedy, currently aged 96(!) has donated her collection of notes, slides, recipes, scrapbooks, books, and so on to the University of Texas at San Antonio. Rather than entrust the documents to mail or messenger service, she made the 800-mile drive with two or three others, including Tejal Rao. Rao wrote a delightful article about the woman and the trip for The New York Times, here: Road Tripping with Diana Kennedy. I hope it isn't behind a paywall. She sounds like quite a character. Rather than focus on some of her funnier quips, though, I'll quote this bit that shows what she's accomplished, and why she's so driven:
  25. oofencocotte

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

Can it be grilled like halloumi?
  26. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Hot wings last night
  27. BeeZee

Adorable Gummies

not so dissimilar from the problem with kids eating detergent pods, they look too much like a candy product.
  28. Somehow my Thermapen has gone missing so I had to order a new one. I ordered the MK-4 which is on sale from it's regular price of $99.00 to $84.14. In addition, they are giving a free mini spoonula and spatula set.
  1. Load more activity