• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Tiffany thanks for asking this question - Is there a Canadian source for boxes anyone can recommend?? I found a US source but would prefer to find a Canadian one. Here is what I have found - https://www.aspecialtybox.com/
  3. Today
  4. FYI I found these in a specialtybox: https://www.aspecialtybox.com/9034 Unfortunately they didn't fit with my bonbons which are CW 2116. Maybe it works for someone who uses a different size mold.
  5. Thanks so much for the information. Right now I am using boxes from Papermart which makes the bonbons look really elegant and pop. I guess I will wait until my business grows to start going the custom route.
  6. All right, I'll bite... You mentioned that St V's bagels were too 'light and airy', are NY's more akin to what...red bricks?! I mean, Montreal bagels are already at the far end of the 'heavy' bagel spectrum, yet you complain that they are not dense enough?! I cannot admit to having a NY bagel, nor will I ever (having recently gone GF) but I will say that Montreal bagels are close enough to hockey puck density for me!
  7. curls

DARTO pans

Started seasoning my 20 using the stovetop method from Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/06/how-to-season-carbon-steel-pans.html). Liked the way that it looked so switched to the Serious Eats oven method and added seasoning to the 25 & the 20. Here is a picture of the 20 with 6 coats of seasoning (the 25 has more but I've lost count). Will cook on the 20 tomorrow (and clean the cooktop!) and see if it does as well with eggs as the 25. @Hassouni, @j89k, and other new Darto owners how are your pans doing?
  8. BonVivant

Lunch 2019

Yes, 6 euros is standard price for tomate aliñado in the Sierra, it can be up to 8.50 but the tomatoes and olive oil they use are both of good quality. Here in Sevilla it's rare to see tomate aliñado on the menu, and when you do the tomatoes are so-so. After 10 days in the Sierra eating the best Jamón and the best Ibérico pork Sevilla is a big disappointment. No wonder Sevillanas come to the Sierra in droves at weekends to enjoy Ibérico goodness. If anyone is coming this way please do yourself a big favour and drive right through Sevilla, don't stop until you see any village in the Sierra de la Aracena. You will enjoy the best pork, tomatoes and olive oils! Saying this because I deeply regret not staying in the Sierra the whole time. I should have come to Sevilla the night before flying out.
  9. I thought I'd give an example of the WF Prime deals that I just partook of. Beware there is math involved. With the exception of a bag of WF 365 brand AP flour ($3.29), everything I bought was a Prime member deal. 3 boneless Chuck Roasts (3 lb. 2.7 lb. and 2.6 lb.) Non-Prime member price $5.99 lb, Prime member price $3.99 lb. Receipt says I saved $16.70 on that portion using Prime savings. Moon drop grapes 2.2lbs. Non-Prime member price $4.99 lb, Prime member price $2.49 lb. Receipt says I saved $1.10 on that portion. This was an impulse purchase and I probably picked up a bigger bag than needed, but they are very sweet and nice and we like them. So that's a win also. Kassagio Robusta Gouda, a big chunk, .73lb. Non-Prime member price $18.99lb, Prime member deal 40% off. The chunk was $13.86, the 40% Prime discount was $5.54 which means the Gouda cost me $8.32. I love Gouda and this seemed a good deal for that cheese. I also had a $10 giftcard from shopping 3 times within a period of time and spending over $10 each visit. I did all 3 visits for Dr. Bronner's soap, which was 35% off normal price to Prime members. We have our beloved soap cheap for the next few months. My total savings on this receipt says $33.34, so out the door at ~$41. Since I used the Amazon Prime Visa also, I will get Amazon points for merchandise. I'm not exactly trying to bust the myth of "Whole Paycheck", but there are real ways to get really good stuff and really good prices at Amazon Whole Foods. I don't have to clip a single coupon. It's all app driven.
  10. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Potato pancakes with sour cream/cucumber, smoked salmon and north sea shrimp (and a tad of kewpie). No complaints ...
  11. last night we went to Mac's Shack. We were seated in a cramped setup so I had to use my phone rather than my camera. Oysters Steamed littlenecks with garlic and shallots Nephew had a steak with garlic mashed potatoes. He only likes fish when it is fried and he cannot have anything fried at Mac's. Husband and brother had the pan roasted halibut with lobster mashed potatoes Sister had the lobster fra diavolo with squid ink gnocchi. She said the flavor was good but there was too much sauce. I was in the mood for salmon so got that roasted with maple sweet potatoes and bourbon brussel sprouts Brother in law had the scallop dish that I had last time, served with farro and coconut curry sauce. He ate that in about five minutes and then helped my sister and I finish our dishes. My niece had sushi but she was too far away from me to get pictures. She said it was very good as usual.
  12. Dante

Dinner 2019

Chicken stir fry with broccoli and red bell peppers over grits with ginger sesame sauce
  13. @David Ross again . a few Kudos Your Way the various Beties , Frumps , Crisps and Crumbles all have fresh fruit in them. I love them all Pears are interesting , as they are the only ' stone ' fruit that ripens off the tree . i.e. they have seeds. pleased you are on top of things.
  14. Beeswax is pricey, for bees as well as us. Supposedly, beeswax takes twice the energy to make per weight that honey does. And, as usual, finding something that is high quality and pesticide free is a premium as well. I would say that $14/lb is a good price. Anything cheaper, I would consider suspect, unless I knew the producer well. Honestly, though, I consider any bee product suspect, unless I know the producer.
  15. Kerry Beal

Breakfast 2019

While still away on our overnight jaunt to Niagara on the Lake - had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. I opted for the buffet - hubby chose the French toast which I neglected to get a picture of. Up top on the plate were Roma tomatoes - oven roasted with cheese on them. One was hot, one was not - they tasted like little pizzas. I quite enjoyed them.
  16. Another one of my Fall favorites is the Pear Brown Betty. I think most people think of Apple Brown Betty, which is delicious, but the pears add a different flavor and a nice change from apples. I've researched the Brown Betty and it appears that it found its way to restaurant menus as early as the 1860's, but it might have an earlier legacy. It's so simple that you wonder how something with four ingredients, pears, butter, breadcrumbs and spice can be so delicious. In this recipe I used Bartlett pears, but it's just as good with Bosc, Red Bosc, D'Anjou and even Asian pears. This year instead of cinnamon and nutmeg I used Chinese Five-Spice. Full disclosure, the cinnamon and nutmeg were far beyond their "best" date so in the bin it went and out came the Five-Spice. Ingredients- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs 1 cup dark brown sugar 1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder substitute cinnamon and nutmeg 6 large Bartlett pears 10 tbsp. butter, cut into small cubes Instructions- Heat the oven to 375. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. To make the fresh breadcrumbs, cut the crusts off 8-10 slices of white bread. Break the bread into pieces and place in a food processor. Pulse the bread until it's broken into crumbs. Keep the breadcrumbs covered in the fridge for up to one week. Peel the pears and cut in half. Scoop out the core and cut the stem out that runs down the middle of the pear. Cut the pears into small chunks. In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, five-spice powder, and pears. Toss the pears to coat in the sugar and spices. Layer half the pear mixture in the bottom of the baking dish then add a layer of 1 cup of the breadcrumbs. Put half the cubes of butter on top of the breadcrumbs. Add another layer of pears, breadcrumbs and the rest of the cubes of butter. Cover the baking dish and bake for one hour until the crust is golden and bubbling. Serve the Pear Brown Betty warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. https://todayshomekitchen.com/pear-brown-betty/
  17. You know up until about 15 years ago I never had heard of the Apple Tarte Tatin. Every year I make it the flavor is always the same. You just sort of melt and say "aah," my friend is back.
  18. Duvel

Lunch 2019

They really charge 6 Euro for the tomato ?!
  19. Wait til you see the size of the spoon!
  20. shain

Lunch 2019

Filo burekas. One with spinach and cheeses (feta, Kashkaval, ricotta). The other with eggplant, cheeses and toasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, nigella). The usual salad with tahini sauce.
  21. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight, knowing I can't have that for breakfast!
  22. Ann_T

Breakfast 2019

Lovely crust. Moe's breakfast. Poached eggs on toasted sourdough baguette. Eggs were fresh from a friends farm.
  23. @sartoric Gorgeous loaf. Love the colour of your crust. I know how you feel about your starter. Funny because I don't even really like sourdough all that much, but I love being able to make bread from a sourdough starter that I "grew". And both Moe and Matt love sourdough bread. Last night's soudough bake. Dough went into the fridge Thursday night and came out yesterday afternoon. 8 smaller size baguettes. Sliced this morning.
  24. A while back, I mentioned these rare hongzhui mushrooms – 红椎菌 (hóng zhuī jùn). Today, a festival celebrating their harvest took place in my friend Vera's (李美) hometown. She has sent me these pictures of a giant soup pot, featuring chicken and red mushroom soup. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend.
  25. @David Ross Apple Tarte Tatin is one of my favorite deserts. yours looks perfect and has the mandatory vanilla ice cream. congratulations . Im sure your work was well worth it .
  26. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Duck and oyster mushroom ramen. Duck breast strips, oyster mushrooms, chilli, garlic, ginger, white pepper, Shaoxing wine, scallions, fresh ramen noodles.
  1. Load more activity