• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Homemade Broth/Stock lasts how long?

No freezer required. I put my finished stock in Ball mason jars and process it in a pressure canner. When the stock cools, it is shelf stable and I can store it in the cupboard until it is needed.
  3. Burned-out French chef gives back Michelin stars

Well, I'm extremely glad to hear that Sebastien Bras found a way to deal with the stress that was much more healthy than this sad tale of Bernard Loiseau and Benoît Violier in "The New Yorker". So, you do not fail in your memory @KennethT. Good Lord! What a brutal business. Amazing, but sort of inhuman (inhumane?). Beautiful dreams can turn into nightmares so quickly, can't they?
  4. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Pot Roast and Vegetables with Gravy - made in my Instant Pot
  5. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

HungryChris, Frank Pepe would be proud, and your clam pizza looks so good!
  6. Homemade Broth/Stock lasts how long?

I do like the Chinese takeout-style soup containers for freezing some things. Since I tend to use smaller amounts of stock at a time, though, I save 8 oz. Daisy sour cream containers. These are excellent for freezing the drippings from roasting chicken along with the fat on top. This is enough to make a generous gravy or sauce for two or more. Just be sure to leave a little headroom for expansion upon freezing. I take a Sharpie and write the contents on the lid. I have some pork drippings from ribs in a couple of Daisy containers for ramen broth, single servings of spaghetti or pizza sauce, whatever you have. I have crappy freezers too! but these thick plastic containers keep stuff fine anyway. The containers last for years and can be recycled when they finally give out. Just make sure you don't get impatient and try to pry the lid off straight out of the freezer. I've cracked a few lids that way, because the plastic is too stiff when that cold to have enough give to release without breaking. The sealed containers are waterproof so you can run them under warm water for a little bit to get the lid pliable enough to release to say break some chicken fat off the top layer to start the roux for your gravy. Grapefruit spoon works great to get frozen chix fat off the top of the frozen broth. @blbst36, Sorry about your freezer issues, and welcome to renting in North Carolina. The government and the law are in cahoots, I think, with big property owners and management companies. You need to buy or find a private landlord with a sense of ethics. They exist. I rented from a wonderful individual in Raleigh near NC State for a year or two when I first moved here. Nicest person you could ask for. Unfortunately, I nested 28 years ago in a property owned by Tar Heel Companies.
  7. Homemade Broth/Stock lasts how long?

I use the pressure cooker for stock per @nathanm and Dave Arnold.
  8. Cooking with Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard

In a Facebook cookbook club I follow, a number of people posted about it. Some loved it as "comfort food" while a few others said it turned nice fresh corn into something that reminded them of their school cafeteria.
  9. The lemon slices were under the tomatoes and they were really paper thin so it would be a pain to get them out. We should have decent tomatoes for another couple of months here but the heirloom varieties are expensive and I hate to waste them.
  10. Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

Could you pick the lemons off? The rest of it looks like it would be very good. Sad about those end of season tomatoes. They are like gold this time of year. Edit: What was I thinking? Good tomatoes are like culinary gold any time you can get your hands on them!
  11. Quality Cocoa Butter

Thanks for your replies!
  12. Meatloaf

One of things that turned me off of CI was they kept publishing variations on recipes they had done, often with very minor changes, and keep calling the latest one the best ever. Meatloaf in particular. Once all they did was change the breadcrumbs to crushed saltines.
  13. I think the brining rate depends on the size of the individual chunk of meat and its surface area. Therefore, I'd give each half-pound pork chop for half an hour, and I'd make sure that they weren't stacked together. By keeping them separated from each other, the brine can penetrate each chop equally.
  14. Lemon Curd: The Topic

You can water bath can lemon curd though the pH should be sufficiently acidic so most safety-oriented preserving sites like this one will recommend using bottled lemon juice since the acidity of fresh lemons is so variable.
  15. Thank for letting me join eGullet! I hope to be a help to all those here and to learn even more! Thanks again, and greetings to everyone! http://bit.ly/2xuL59z
  16. Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

El Presidente (from The Art of the Bar) 2oz aged rum .75oz Carpano Antica 3 dashes Pechaud's
  17. Brining - can I do it today for tomorrow?

Have you considered an equalibrium brine
  18. I think it depends on what kind of detergent, if any, is involved. Shouldn't be anything wrong with a rinse or gentle cycle without detergent.
  19. Tonight, I offer you a Tomato-Lemon Tart from the Sept 2017 Bon Appétit. Puff pastry gets brushed with garlic-olive oil, then topped with thin slices of lemon, torn basil, sliced heirloom tomatoes, sea salt, pepper and olive oil. The lemon slices (I cut them as thin as I could with a mandoline, as per the recipe) are overwhelmingly bitter and make this inedible. Maybe it would work better with Meyer lemons, but I'm not wasting 3 more lovely heirloom tomatoes to find out . Embarrassingly, I gave a visiting neighbor a few slices to take home BEFORE I'd actually tasted it. I had to text her to tell her not to eat it but she'd already tried it . Lesson learned!
  20. Homemade Broth/Stock lasts how long?

Yup. i buy them, "deli containers", on amazon. Great for stock or leftovers or giving guests stuff to take home. Dirt cheap and last forever.
  21. so, curiosity got the best of me and I stuck one of my freshly-used, dark chocolate encrusted moulds in my home dishwasher on a "gentle" cycle. I expected the worst..... but it came out shiny and clean, no opaque cocoa butter buildup in the back crevices... of course I still polished the cavities but I found it required much less elbow grease than when I hand wash them first. mainly water spots to deal with. am I a treacherous person? or have I seen the light? would love to have you guys weigh in
  22. Sorry about your car but thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Hope you get into your own restaurant space soon!
  23. Seeing is believing - Full disclosure: I did break a wire on the first cut, and a slab that I cut a few hours later when it was warmer did stick together more after cutting. Like so many things we work with, it's going to have to be juuuuust right.
  24. Johnsonville Sausages

Speaking of good mustard. I like a creamy horseradish brown mustard. I make my own with equal parts mayo, creamy inglehoffer horseradish, sour cream, and guldens spicy brown mustard. (adjust to taste) It makes a great spread for Pastrami on Rye, and other Deli sandwiches.
  25. Homemade Broth/Stock lasts how long?

I save chinese takeout soup containers and freeze my homemade stock in them. They never get freezer burnt. As a matter of fact, i have pork stock thats over 2 years old that doesnt have a bit of frost in it. Maybe a few ice crystals but there crystal clear.
  26. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

If you use equilibrium brining then there is no risk of over salting. But, yes it could have been brined by the store to make it weigh more. How to do it, weigh the meat and all the water you use so it is covered then add 2 to 3 percent salt. It can stay in there overnight if need be.
  1. Load more activity