• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Breakfast! 2018

Pork scrapple with fresh salsa and a ripe pear with warm brie. HC
  3. Here's one for you, which I bought today. It is designed for a very specific gastronomic (dual) function, but on the table rather than in the kitchen. It's approximately 8 inches in diameter and 4½ in height.
  4. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Dinner with 4 friend/colleagues in Laibin, Guangxi, China. Cantonese Style White Cut Chicken Steamed Fish Spicy Beef with Garlic Scapes Scrambled Egg with Scallions Stir Fried Lotus Root Greenery Of course, with rice.
  5. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Ssshhh! It's Friday, the men are asleep, fed on zoodles and turkey meat sauce. It's carb time Now I personally call this cheese on toast although there is much debate. Staring Snowdonia cheese company's offerings 'Black Bomber' and 'Red Storm'. So, so good.
  6. Silky Smooth Chicken Breast

You could be right. All I know is that the chickens served in Chinese restaurants don't look like supermarket chickens. For sure, the Chinese chicken farming are not like in France. Poulet de Bresse farming is strictly controlled by the government. I do remember when I was traveling in China having seen chickens force fed just like force feeding ducks for foie gras. If you go to a Chinese store, you will see more than one kind of chicken being sold. dcarch
  7. Today
  8. Good to learn our observations were consistent with yours and that of ModBread. If I may go a bit technical in my thinking here: To bake a good bread, you need certain amount energy supplied to it with a certain rate (power). With a cold pan, I can imagine the bread has to spend more time in the pan to get the same amount of energy [the oven is heating both the heavy pan and the bread]. This means a lower power. So anything time-dependent will suffer. I can imagine oven spring relates is time dependent since you need to gellify the outer layer a bit while the inner gases are still expanding and the dough is not fully hardened. One can probably improve the time factor by using a very light pan so it is not absorbing the energy. But that would still be inferior since with pre-heated pan you get much more power in the initial minutes on the loaf than your oven alone can provide.
  9. While the book does say you can get satisfactory results using cold cast-iron, and I know because I have done it, you will still get better results with it pre-heated. See 3-377. “We also tested placing a cold pot with proofed dough directly into a hot oven and found that it worked better than expected, though not as well as a fully preheated pot.”
  10. I wonder if they have replaced the beef with beans. Doesn’t strike me that dried beans are much in evidence in Thai cuisine. But I am no expert. And I don’t like beans so unlikely to experiment.
  11. We tried this but only once since it was a disaster Our hypothesis is that our failure is due to skipping the second raise. So there are no large gas bubbles that can expand further. But may after our Kickstarter campaign we spend some more time with this. It would be great if we can skip the pre-heating step but still get a reliable result. Even more convenient!
  12. Nice thought. In fact this was one of the first things we tried. It works reasonably well but not as perfectly as we would like to see in a good product. The liners themselves are not new. You can buy them here. It is the same company that makes Silpat mats. We worked with them to make a custom liner for us. But we had three problems that necessitated a custom cast iron pan. 1. The liners are very flexible and just about support their own weight. So they are unable to retain the shape when heavy dough is within them. This is normally not a huge problem for lower hydration dough since the dough can support itself to retain its shape. The use of this liners is in professional bakeries that use ~70% hydration at most. We use 80-90% hydration that makes the dough basically a slurry. Also, we skip the second raise step completely so the dough have even less strength when it goes into the liner. So we needed to support it with a liner with a custom shape until the bread became solid enough. 2. The whole idea of using cast iron is to maximize the conductive heat transfer. For a round loaf the bottom area is large enough. But since we wanted to keep a more practical oblong loaf shape, we would use a much smaller contact area at the bottom of the loaf if we did not use a fitted cast iron around it. Now we use the sides as well as bottom for direct heat transfer. 3. Cast iron casseroles come in various sizes, shapes and forms. It was impossible to make one liner that will work even with a majority of them. Finally, the liners themselves are quite expensive (as you can see from the Demarle page I linked above). So beautiful cast iron at slightly higher point is quite a value for money. Hope you will like to support our campaign by backing or sharing with your contacts.
  13. I'm guessing the chile could be picked when green or yellow.... but admittedly I haven't researched it. I guess I should have said, the green and/or yellow and/or red sauce.... haven't tried Kenji's version, I'll take a look
  14. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

Now I know why I am unlikely ever to make puff pastry.
  15. Aji amarillo is yellow, is it not? By chance I made Peruvian chicken tonight for dinner but I am no expert. Have you tried Kenji's version?
  16. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

I haven't made puff pastry for quite a while. But I would make a double batch of butter, while it was still soft, line a 1/4 sheet pan with heavy plastic wrap, spread the butter in the the pan, cover with another sheet of plastic wrap, place another 1/4 sheet pan on top, squeeze to level it edge to edge and place in the fridge overnight. Sometimes I would have two or three batches ready for the next step.
  17. Subway's Reuben sandwich

Thanks, but I am not looking for it. I just contributed my experience.
  18. I'm addicted to a number of Peruvian chicken places in the LA area. For example, Takatis in Van Nuys. I'm curious if anyone has a killer recipe for the stuff. I've tried a couple of recipes I've found online and not found them to be terrible great. Ditto for the aji amarillo (green chile) sauce that it's normally served with, and bonus points for the red and yellow variations!
  19. Good point....I am not very detail oriented and read things too quickly! Thanks for pointing that out.
  20. Feedback on new 'low entry barrier' bread kit

Thank you, interesting. Seam side up they said though.
  21. Silky Smooth Chicken Breast

That sounds like a bunch of malarkey. I bet they brine that chicken in a salt/tenderizer brine overnight before they cook this dish.
  22. No such recipe in that book, nor in Pok pok. Can’t find one with Nr. Google. On Eat your boooks nam tok brings up beef salad called nam tok.
  23. Kitchen manual, P. 53. Note at bottom. There's probably something in the main text too. I'm impressed with myself that I found it!
  24. Feedback on new 'low entry barrier' bread kit

Page reference, please.
  25. Salad 2016 –

I can usually find the Campari tomatoes at Costco here in AZ and they also usually carried them back in BC, though I realize some of you may not be close to a Costco or have a membership.
  26. Someone needs to look in David Thompson's Thai Food and find me a recipe for the Nam Tok Beans to give me a reason to pick up some Rancho Gordo Cranberry beans tomorrow.
  1. Load more activity