• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Gary Danko

Photo shot in June 2016. I would have liked a touch more acidity in the vinaigrette. Very good roast chicken but no crisp skin. Moist, very flavorful.
  3. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Second sandwich of the day. Duck confit grilled cheese with onions caramelized in duck fat and melty Tallegio cheese.
  4. @Anna N, you, too, could never, ever be replaced. It wasn't the same without you and @Chocolot. I hope we don't need to have another workshop minus both of you! What I learned: When I win the lottery, even just a little one, I would like to get an EZ Temper. I have a huge activation energy barrier for doing anything that requires tempered chocolate, and an EZ Temper is an efficient catalyst. A. There is no such thing as a definitive "buttercream" filling. B. Many commercial "buttercream" fillings seem to be completely devoid of butter. C. Many (all?) commercial "buttercream" fillings are toothachingly sweet D. It isn't all that difficult to make a filling that's way better than the commercial samples we found for our research. E. I really enjoy working with @Chocolate mom. The cross-pollination of ideas is amazing. Everyone knows something useful. Cut the list of what you think you want to work on in half, and you might be able to do everything on it. Dizzy Pig seasoning is good stuff, and I might need to hunt some of that up. There are more variations on sponge candy than I'd initially realized, and I wish the humidity would go down enough that I could play with some of them sooner rather than later. Salt can be an important component of making sweet stuff. I need to learn how to make Yorkshire puddings. Kerry and Rodney do an amazing job. It's really nice when @CRChemist is able to come play at the workshop, too.
  5. Today
  6. Homemade Creme Fraiche

Ditto here
  7. Homemade Creme Fraiche

When you say "real buttermilk", what are you referring to? In my parts, we get cultured buttermilk. That's what I use to combine with cream to make my crème fraîche, and it's always worked beautifully for me.
  8. Grocery Shopping

This is only exciting to an expat who despises shredding whole cabbage. It goes EVERYWHERE when I do it, plus the heads here are the size of small planets. A grocer here who tries to cater to expats is now shredding a cole slaw mix. I picked up some fresh mahi this morning, too. Easy summer meal in the offing.
  9. Mario Batali

@weinoo correct. I meant that there are way's that are extremely effective in passing on The Chef's Way and ways that speak more to a chef's vanity [ ed.: Vanity <= latin , Vanos ie empty ] and etc. Im surprised that there are a few chef's that still have not been rounded up that have done possible more that MB there is no excuse for any of this. MB , unlike the person Im thinking of , has far more insight and talent. loosing that is not the end of the world, but unfortunate. insight and talent are no excuse what so ever to be a #R()^*#@(R%^@#_R%@#^ to those who depend on you for your training and their future for their livelihood
  10. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Grilled Reuben on seeded rye with last nights corned beef. HC
  11. Existing Conditions

A little more about Existing Conditions. https://punchdrink.com/articles/dave-arnold-don-lee-havent-run-out-of-tricks-existing-conditions-nyc/
  12. Mario Batali

You're reading into what people have said; no one here said it's a requirement for success. But to many chefs (and I use the word "chef" to denote someone who is actually running a kitchen, the chief, if you will), there are 2 ways to do things: the wrong way, and the chef's way. And it's needs to be the chef's way every time, so that people can expect to have that same dish they love the next time they come back to that chef's restaurant.
  13. Felchlin Sao Palme 60% because it makes me money! It's a well-rounded semisweet couverture at a decent price that goes with a lot of other flavors, and what I use most of in my chocolate business.
  14. I was gifted some lovely products from Father’s and today I tried the Bacon Seasoning for the first time. Here. I’m surprised my neighbours were not breaking down my doors to reach that lovely smoky, porky smell.
  15. Breakfast! 2018

I worked very hard this morning to prepare a breakfast worthy of being posted as well as being eaten. All went well…… right up till the end… The hash began with some Father’s Bacon Seasoning (a lovely gift) followed by some onions and then by some cubed cooked potatoes. The hash was carefully arranged on the thoughtfully chosen plate and then topped with the badly abused egg.
  16. Breakfast! 2018

Smoked tuna salad on thin-sliced Dave's Killer Bread "Good Seed" Bread & butter pickles and fresh tomato
  17. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Reheated yorkies and gravy.
  18. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Pastrami and Swiss Cheese Grilled Sandwich with Tortilla Chips
  19. Grocery Shopping

on this weekend I've bought chicken eggs chicken breast rice lettuce feta tomatoes baguette croissant plain yogurt strawberries bananas granola I hope that will be enough for me, 'cause I try to eat healthy, but I'm a student and you understand I can't afford the wide diversity of my meals wow! I didn't know that, however, I'm a student. I have to check this. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ if you're a college student and you need some help with term paper sometimes, it's ok to ask for assistance https://essayshark.com/ service
  20. Andrey Dubovic online classes

I can now report that the bonbons I feared might cling to the mold did not. In spite of an adverse environment when spraying the shells, 71 out of 72 fell out of the molds with little coaxing, and the 72nd came out after a few minutes in the freezer. As everyone ends up concluding, there's just no explaining it--and one can go crazy trying. When you step back a bit and consider what we are doing (forcing a part of cacao to do things it was never intended to do, adding colorants to it, blowing it through a device never meant for that purpose), it's a miracle it works at all!
  21. ritter sport dark chocolate with marzipan
  22. Best Cola I've ever had

my fav is definitely original!
  23. Mario Batali

its easy to think that the Yelling and Screaming is the norm for exceptionally high end restaurants. its possible. but consider a chef like Raymond Blanc. I have not been to any of his restaurants , but have seen many of his PBS / BBC cooking shows. I doubt he has to raise his voice , but cannot say that for sure. consider other high pressure work places. those that are more effective have a more thoughtful tenor yet require exceptional precision and close to perfect results, with exhausting schedules . Ive been in several of these . I think the Terror in the Kitchen is personality based , not a requirement for success
  24. Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

We are also Prime members. My husband really enjoys reading science fiction, so we subscribe to Kindle Unlimited through our Amazon Prime account, which also lets you borrow up to 10 books at a time, but has a much larger library from which to choose. I believe the Kindle Unlimited option is an additional $9.99 a month, but well worth it for us as my husband reads a lot!
  25. Andrey Dubovic online classes

Greweling says the melting point of IV crystals is 29C, so maybe as long as you stay at that temp the IV crystals stay melted out? The reheating to 30C could be extra insurance? I don’t know. I tried it with the molds I painted, sprayed and shelled last night and so far so good. I’ll report back once I fill, cap and crack them out. I have a history of everything looking perfect at this stage and then the shells readhering to the mold .
  26. Mario Batali

Yup. I recall eating at Le Bec Fin when Perrier was running it. From certain tables you could hear him screaming in the kitchen and throwing pans at people. It Added to the experience.
  27. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Pork roast
  1. Load more activity