• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

Town has superb New American cuisine, and the unusual subterranean dining room is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.  Expensive, but worth it!  :smile:

i remember i saw town's website once, and the pictures of the rooms alone make me want to go.

but i vaguely recall hearing not so nice things about the food, so i've focused on getting drinks there and wandering around.

thus, getting drinks there is on my to-do list, but nothing more.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The one time I ate at Town, it was just as the pre-theater folks were all leaving. But I thought the food was excellent.

Pan: Barbetta is on Restaurant Row (46th Street between 8th and 9th). Been there since 1906 (yes, '06!), and is a beautiful place. The ads that used to run on WQXR touted the chandelier "that hung in the palace of the first king of united Italy." :biggrin:The Slow Food Guide to New York City likes its "stellar tribute to Piedmont." But it is expensive.

We're meeting friends for a show, drinks and dinner on 10/25, and I've been out of the NYC loop too long to know where to make reservations. All I've been given is this suggestion: Italian.

Price is not a restriction, but I will not be dining with particularly adventurous diners. Felidia, Orso and Trattoria Dopo Teatro come to mind, but after that, I'm at a loss. I would like the place to have a good wine list, or wines by the glass, but that's just my preference. A suggestion for a good place for a drink before dinner would also be really appreciated, since we will have some time to kill before the dinner hour

And considering that we will be seeing a matinee, I'm also not tied to staying in the Theater District, but that would be convenient.

Thanks in advance, I'll really appreciate the help!

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Esca, Batali's Italian seafood restaurant on 43rd and 9th. Enough to choose from for the unadventurous as well as some adventurous and delicious dishes. Excellent wine list as well with several sold by the glass or "quartino."

As for price, just order carefully. The crudo and side dishes can boost the bill rapidly.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

This topic has come up here many times, and the Italian restaurant that gets recommended in all of them is La Locanda dei Vini, 9th Ave and 50th street. An authentic bistro-type environment with VERY good food.

I dined at Trattoria Trecolori last week with a very diverse group, (some sophisticated...some not adventuresome in the least...) and everyone enjoyed their meals. Great service, fun atmosphere, and moderate prices. Reservations are a must, there was a line waiting when we left.

I have also dined with a group at Becco. It has a very extensive wine list, and every bottle costs $18.00. Also had a good meal here (nicely done veal chop, rack of lamb and a prix fixe all you can eat pasta entree, but skip the veal parm) The front room is way too loud....reservations for the back room are a good idea here. Becco will cost you a bit more than Trecolori...not that it's about price...

We saw Little Shop of Horrors...It was to die for (pardon the pun...) What are you seeing?

Urinetown is the show we're seeing; I really appreciate the recommendatiosn. I am also considering I Trulli, especially because of the Enoteca next door. Any thoughts?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I think there have been very mixed comments about I Trulli. But I've not been, so I can't add yay or nay.

HOWEVER, I want to warn you that you will bust a gut at Urinetown. It is just great! Especially if 1. you know a lot of other musicals, and 2. you have a strong interest in socio-eco-political theory. (This is really all I wanted to post, but didn't want to go 100% OT :wink: )

I am also considering I Trulli, especially because of the Enoteca next door.  Any thoughts?

We have had several meals at I Trulli (lunch and dinner), and the food has been delicious each time.

While I am also a big fan of Trattoria Trecolori, these two restaurants couldn't be more different. Trecolori's food is of the home-style variety, with lots of the usual suspects, all nicely prepared. I Trulli's cuisine is of the Apulian region, more sophisticated and elegantly presented. Trecolori is a rather small restaurant, while I Trulli has two large rooms (one with a fireplace) + their lovely back garden space. Not surprisingly, I Trulli is much more expensive.

You can't go wrong with either one. They are very different dininig experiences, so it depends on what you are looking for.

Btw, because La Locanda has gotten so many positive comments, we finally had dinner there a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, my meal was quite disappointing. :shock::sad:

Urinetown eh...? I went once, and I gotta go again!!!

All right...bad puns aside...that show is EXCELLENT.... I had the good fortune of seeing Hunter Foster in it (he created the lead role of Bobby), he has since left and wouldn't you know it...he is the lead in Little Shop, which I just saw.... I am now a Hunter groupie by fate...

And of course... because I wouldn't dream of straying off topic... Truly, I have not been to I Trulli.

:cool: Trish

Edited by TrishCT (log)

We have had several meals at I Trulli (lunch and dinner), and the food has been delicious each time.

I have been to I Trulli a few times; owner Nicola Marzovilla is from the same town in Puglia from which my maternal grandparents hail, Alberobello, which gives the restaurant the source for its name: the white conical buildings of the town, called trulli. Some of the dishes at I Trulli are so very close to the ones made by my grandmother, a wonderful cook, it's almost an emotional experience to dine there.

When I ;last dined there, the Enoteca had just opened, but , ironically, was closed for a private party, so I've been wanting to return ever since.

But I still have to run the idea by the others in my party.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have about a one hour window of opportunity for lunch before seeing Ashley Judd :wub: in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Any suggestions for a quick but good lunch before the 2 PM show? The only thing I won't eat is fast food (with the exception of a good hot dog or pizza) or chain food.

A friend of mine recommended Virgil's, Ollie's or Heartland Chop House (I'm a beer geek). Any other ideas?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have about a one hour window of opportunity for lunch before seeing Ashley Judd  :wub: in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Any suggestions for a quick but good lunch before the 2 PM show?  The only thing I won't eat is fast food (with the exception of a good hot dog or pizza) or chain food.

A friend of mine recommended Virgil's, Ollie's or Heartland Chop House (I'm a beer geek).  Any other ideas?

Do Heartland, John; food is quite good (the mini bison burgers were quite tasty the last time I visited in October), and Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout and Heartland's Black Lager are a must-quaff duo!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have about a one hour window of opportunity for lunch before seeing Ashley Judd  :wub: in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Any suggestions for a quick but good lunch before the 2 PM show?  The only thing I won't eat is fast food (with the exception of a good hot dog or pizza) or chain food.

A friend of mine recommended Virgil's, Ollie's or Heartland Chop House (I'm a beer geek).  Any other ideas?

Do Heartland, John; food is quite good (the mini bison burgers were quite tasty the last time I visited in October), and Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout and Heartland's Black Lager are a must-quaff duo!

Hmm...Heartland for lunch and I Trulli for dinner. I can deal with that.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.