• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

Or if you really want to get opulent-tacky-oldschool-Russian, the multi-level "Firebird" could be fun (food is hit or miss but it's tough to go wrong with a couple healthy spoon-fulls of beluga on black bread). :biggrin:

I've never been to Orso or Rene Pujol but have heard good things repeatedly.

That wasn't chicken

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thank you all the the recs for the pre-theater dinner for hubby's birthday celebration. After much consideration, we ended up at Thalia's. I has read comments saying it was a little touristy, but really didn't mind since I was the only one of 8 who is in NYC regularly, so the rest really were tourists. We arrived at 5:15 (Damn, the City was PACKED on Saturday, it was a beautiful day) and were seated at a large oval table set for us in the back upper level of the restaurant. Started with cocktails, and then ordered apps for table to share; an arugula and Maytag Blue Cheese Salad, baby spinach salad, duet of yellowtail tuna, steamed pei mussels , crispy dungeness crab cakes and scallop ceviche. We also opted for a few glasses of the house white chard, someone else ordered a bottle of chianti - wasn't too concerned about the wine selections since we had someplace to go afterward and wanted to be able to enjoy the play. Dinner had a poppy seed crusted salmon, pumpkin crusted scallops, seared duck breast , a lamb shank and a grilled filet mignon. Had the staff put together a cheese tasting plate for after dinner with some espressos and grappas.

Service, considering that by 6:00 the place was packed, was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised that the food was as good as it was. Total tab for evening was $800 - not bad at all.

Strolled (it was still beautiful at 7:30) to the theatre on 44th, and thoroughly enjoyed Phantom. Hubby had a great 50th!

• 11 months later...

New York dining experts speak out!

I'll be in the city for just 1 night and I'm looking for a pre-theatre dinner suggestion.

HERE'S THE CATCH

I'll be there alone, so I'm looking for a nice place where I can eat at the bar (unless someone wants to volunteer to come eat with me).

Can't wait to hear what you suggest!!!

-Mark-

check out my culinary student blog at:

MarkCooks.com

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

My apologies for hijacking, but I'm looking for a non-bar recommendation, for me and my teenage daughter. We need someplace that serves early (5:00) and reasonably quick because we only have an hour (my baby is singing at Carnegie Hall!)

I was doing some surfing and noticed that there's Becco. I'm a Lidia Bastianich fan so I'm hoping this is even half as good as it sounds. Thoughts?

Oh, we certainly wouldn't turn down reasonably priced sushi, either.

Hijacking is always welcome here!

I'm not a drinker, so the only reason I mentioned the bar was because I'd be dining alone. If anyone has a good suggestion of a place without a bar, but might be good for solo diners, please bring it on!

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

admin: merged threads

OK, I'm gonna try one of these "ISO" threads.

Pre-theater dinner.

Theater is on 49th between Bway & 8th.

Want something within five blocks. No more than that. (So, no Modern or Bar Room at -- and no Esca, either.)

Any recommendations?

(I'm eliminating Tintol for now, just cuz I've been there a lot lately.)

(I'm thinking of Bar Americain, just cuz I've never been there. But we all know it won't be that good.)

Edited by johnder (log)

Pigalle, of Simon Oren's Tour de France group, is decent brasserie fare, right at 47th and 8th. One of my usual go-tos for pre-theater. Very creditable cassoulet, for one thing. And nice Belgian brews available to wash it all down.

Hell's Kitchen, at 47th and 9th, may be worth checking out for interesting Mexican eats, but it's been a looooong time since I've been there.

Nothing in that immediate area (that I know of) is gonna be a terribly thrilling foodie experience, to be sure.

Christopher

What's that Argentine place?  On 8th Ave. at 50th St. or so?  The uptown branch of a place that started dowtown?  Sosso something?  Anybody know about that?

Sosa Borella. have been for lunch. nothing exciting at all, but that area sucks. (I used to work around the corner . . . . )

Baldoria is right there on 49th and 8th - the food is excellent. My favorite place in the area BY FAR.

Bar Americain is ok, but there's so little in the neighborhood . . . . Loud, pretty good vibe. Food is mediocre.

db bistro is on 44th? too far/foodie-ish?

Since they're both Oren places, how does Marseilles differ from Pigale?

(I'll note that I've been to Marseilles but not Pigale.)

Marseille is French-Mideastern and more upscale. Room is sexier, better for a date (assuming you want that sort of atmosphere : ) Pigalle pretty much straight bistro fare and feel.

That wasn't chicken

How long has it been since you've been to Hell's Kitchen?

Haven't eaten in a while but think warm, neighborhood Mesa Grill (but with good food). And the bar area is a decent size for the space. Good for a pre-din drink. Their site gives a good idea of what to expect. http://www.hellskitchen-nyc.com/about.html

That wasn't chicken

How long has it been since you've been to Hell's Kitchen?

Haven't eaten in a while but think warm, neighborhood Mesa Grill (but with good food). And the bar area is a decent size for the space. Good for a pre-din drink. Their site gives a good idea of what to expect. http://www.hellskitchen-nyc.com/about.html

I agree - the food is pretty good. I was there in the fall. Very neighborhoody though, no db bistro atmosphere/service thing going on there.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Didn't they lose their (minor league) celebrity chef, though?  Is it still good?

Yea, Sue Torres left years ago but they must be doing something right. It's one of the busiest in the hood. Full every night.

That wasn't chicken

I know you all REALLY care about this, but what I finally decided to do is forget the distance limitation and go to Anthos (someplace I am REALLY eager to try).

And since my date HATES walking (she once compared walking from Pegu to Milk & Honey to being forced to walk to New Jersey) (she got the direction wrong, though: she should have said Brooklyn), the extra blocks will add some spice to our evening.

• 7 months later...

We're taking a group of 12 to The Lion King on Broadway for a Saturday matinee. My wife and I enjoy refined restaurants, but I don't think this crowd would enjoy it.

We tried to book Carmine's, Tony's DiNapoli and Becco, but they were all booked. We're surprised, it's 2 weeks from now, but maybe tables for 12 are limited.

We'd like to stay within walking distance of 45thStreet. Any other ideas?