• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

I've been to both Becco and Firebird and can recommend them both. My first choice, however, would be Grand Szechuan at 9th and 51st. Order the kung pao chicken listed in the back of the menu. Its different and much better than the one listed up front. In fact, if you go, order all your dishes from the rear portions of the menu.

As I continue my attempts at dieting, my strategy is to only take in one meal a day. While I had not previously paid particular attention to pre-theater menus, I am finding that I am hungry early in the evening and am well-positioned to take advantage of such menus. (I'm very hungry right now -- haven't eaten anything except for grapes since yesterday's lunch) My recent Union Pacific pre-theater meal was good-to-very-good (the same high rating as I have accorded to most other meals sampled at the same restaurant).

Do members have suggestions on appealing pre-theater menus?

The following are the results of initial investigation:

La Caravelle

http://www.lacaravelle.org/pretheater.asp

(seating by 6:30; departure by 8:00; $48; decent choice)

For example, one could choose the following:

Vegetable medley with crisped phyllo

Sauteed quail breasts with lilly bulbs, sugar snap peas and marjoram

Fresh fruit salad with Monbazillac gelée

Vong

(seating by 6:30; under $38)

Below is an indicative (not necessarily current) menu

APPETIZER

CRAB SPRING ROLL WITH TAMARIND DIPPING SAUCE

OR DUCK ROLLS WITH PLUM SAUCE

OR RAW TUNA AND VEGETABLES WRAPPED IN RICE PAPER

OR WARM ASPARAGUS SALAD, AVOCADO AND ENOKI MUSHROOMS

OR PRAWN SATAY WITH FRESH OYSTER SAUCE

OR CRISP VEGETABLE ROLLS, NAM-PRIK VINAIGRETTE

ENTREE

CRISP BEAN CURD WITH SWEET & SOUR MUSHROOM BROTH AND VEGETABLES

OR SALMON WITH LENTIL CRUST, ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE, WILTED ENDIVE & SWEET POTATOES

OR SPICED COD FISH WITH CURRIED ARTICHOKES

OR RABBIT CURRY, CARROT BRAISED WITH GALANGAL

OR BEEF SHORT RIBS BRAISED WITH TAMARIND, MASHED POTATOES

OR FREE RANGE ORGANIC CHICKEN WITH LEMONGRASS, SWEET RICE IN BANANA LEAF

DESSERT

WARM VALRHONA CHOCOLATE CAKE, COCONUT SORBET, PEPPERED TUILE

OR ASSORTED SORBETS

Edited by cabrales (log)

As I continue my attempts at dieting, my strategy is to only take in one meal a day....I am finding that I am hungry early in the evening...(I'm very hungry right now -- haven't eaten anything except for grapes since yesterday's lunch)

Cabby, my friend, and you know I have only your best interests at heart - that's just plain dumb - it's no way to lose weight.

Edited by La Niña (log)

• 1 month later...

Agree with jpk 100%. Coincidentally, we were there around the same time (week of Nov. 20th or so), and it was as if the food menu hadn't changed in years; stuck in some nostalgia. The restaurant is huge and very well designed. The service was excellent, but the pit fire roasted dishes need some modern inspiration. Chef Waldy Malouf was very nice (we met him), but the potential is lacking. We had artic char, monkfish and just about every side dish (we were 4).

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
La Locanda dei Vini, on 9th Ave. & 50th St.  My theatre district place of choice when I'm not doing way upscale.  It's a nice, pleasant room.  Casual but tasteful.  Good Italian food with a flair.  Friendly, professional service.  Not expensive, not cheap.  They have some interesting specials usually.  Plenty to choose from.  I keep going back there.

Had dinner there tonight, before seeing life x 3. Very pleasant place. Thanks for the heads up, Nina.

Several specials, including braised rabbit, a huge glazed pork chop, and a risotto.

Dee had the arugala / ricotta / and walnut salad, just the right amount of sweetness to offset the tang of the greens. She had the giant pork chop with layered mushrooms on top.

I had a beef carpaccio with shredded spinach, and finely shaved gouda slices. And, a fettucine adriatica (scallops, shrimp, small pepper and tomato pieces in a vodka like sauce). Very tasty and filling on a cold and rainy night. Service was very attentive, place was full, but every thing moved well.

With tip, and four glasses of wine, it cost $120.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

It explores some of the same emotional ground covered in the same writer's "Art". It three-peats the same scene while changing an element of the information delivered in the prior telling, or altering a perspective of the teller.

Since it's a very short play (advertised 90 minutes, more like 84), there's expanded time for dessert or a drink following the show. That will be especially useful to week night theater-goers.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Ok i have a small problem. Veronica and i are going to see moving out tomorrow at the richard rodgers theater tomorrow. I wanted to know where i could dine on short notice and still have me out in a short time? Looking for something nice but doesn't require a jacket and tie. Can anyone give me some ideas please?

I see how having to see "Moving Out" could be a problem. I hoped you enjoyed it, because I hated it and so did most of the people sitting around me. I don't know how anyone could stomach a meal after seeing that show. Have fun!! :biggrin:

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

• 1 month later...

Normally do not like to eat this early, but waiting until after the show is just too late. Would appreciate suggestions on a resto in the area,

maybe ethnic, not really fancy, more on the peasant level. Can't really enjoy fine dining this early, but need to satisfy the hunger pangs. Thanks alot!

Daniel Boulud's DB Bistro Moderne has a nice pre-theater prix fixe.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

For theaters in the 50th street area, Nina suggested LaLocanda dei Vini (9th at 50th, west side of the street), which we enjoyed. Figure $30. Another favorite of ours, Thalia is a block east at 8th and 50th. That's $40ish Federico's (opposite Palm on 50th?) has good pizza and pasta for under $20.

For theaters farther downtown, we've enjoyed LeMadeleine (9th at 43) and Revolution (9th at 45?), which has a superb burger at $11. I have enjoyed Marseille (9th at 44?), which is not universally liked on this thread.

rancho gordo

Grand Sichuan on 50th and 9th sounds like it could fit your bill. Or for something even more "peasanty," there's Rinconcito Peruano, a block or two north of that. Down on 44 St. and 9th, there's a very good Turkish place (called something like Turkish Cuisine) on the west side of the avenue. I also like Ariana Kebab House, but i think the other three are probably better.

Michael aka "Pan"

Can't really enjoy fine dining this early, but need to satisfy the hunger pangs.

How bad are these hunger pangs?

There are no hunger pangs too large for Becco, or Churrascaria Plataforma.

Or, if you're at the other extreme and really just want a snack, how about a plate of something at the bar at Esca?

I recently found a good, cozy, out-of-the-way Japanese place in that area: Yoshi, 416 W. 46th. That's good for pre-theater because it's relatively quick and light, yet the quality is excellent.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hell's Kitchen, 9th and 47thish. GREAT upscale-though-affordable Mexican food, though don't expect burritos and tacos. Its Maya-esque but less expensive. Instead of chips you get cornbread pita wedges with a black bean dip thats killer.

You won't be sacrificing any taste here, I assure you. Just reserve early, and they don't take reservations for small parties after like 6:30pm if you wanna try it for a normal (non-pre theatre) dinner.

MSK

Steven, I thought you were the QUALITY meat dude. Plataforma ain't it.

One can't eat quality meat everytime can one ? Unless it is EZE, where all and any cut is quality -- Oh! I miss Buenos Aires :sad: Most churrascarias stress variety of meat over quality no ?

anil

One can't eat quality meat everytime can one ? Unless it is EZE, where all and any cut is quality -- Oh! I miss Buenos Aires :sad: Most churrascarias stress variety of meat over quality no ?

I couldn't agree more.

I was disappointed in Plata. Just about everything was served well done, which really defeats the purpose of the place.

The salad bar was good, though. And when I'm dieting (Atkins) the 'parade of overcooked meat' can still be quite a treat.

i've always received med-rare meat there when i asked.  perhaps i was lucky.

At Plataforma? Did you order off the menu, or do rodizio?

I don't recall my meat being particularly overdone (we just would send them away if we didn't like what it looked like), just not great.

The salad bar is the best thing about that place.  Not worth the money though.  Good place in Newark if anyone cares.  Brasillian grill.

Elyse,

I'm definitely interested, and would love some details. I'm not sure if we need to move this to the NJ board.....