• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

The Hourglass fits the description of what you're looking for.

Italian food. Good, but not fancy.

Every table has an hourglass next to it that is supposed to be turned when you sit down so you will be on time for the curtain's rise at your show.

47th and 9th.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

The salad bar is the best thing about that place.  Not worth the money though.  Good place in Newark if anyone cares.  Brasillian grill.

Elyse,

I'm definitely interested, and would love some details. I'm not sure if we need to move this to the NJ board.....

The NJ board has had several extensive threads on Newark rodizio (several places) and Portuguese places. The NJ eGullet group hosted a dinner at one last year.

The DDC had a rodizio festival at the Armoury in Perth Amboy recently, as well.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

clrly controversial, but 2 very good meals @ Pigalle 8th & 49th (?)!!! same owners as Marseille, which has been harshly treated here, but 1 of the chainlet's owners is also the chef-on-site @ Pigalle for whatever that's worth.

wish i could say the plays were as good :biggrin:

Edited by baruch (log)

Wound up going to Pongsri Thai, 48th off Broadway, fit the bill perfectly. I started a separate thread to report on it, and the Zagat ratings were terribly low, compared to how I would rate it! (It was quite good)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

The Garden really isn't in the Theater District. If you like Korean food, go to Cho Dang Gol or Han Bat on 35 St. between 6th and 5th, Kang Suh on 32 St. just east of Broadway, or try any other Korean restaurant in that area that appeals to your fancy.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll second that suggestion, with Kang Suh being my top choice. MSG is also only a 15-20 minute walk from a lot of the places in the 20s around Madison and Park Avenue South. So you could for example easily do something like Tabla Bread Bar or Blue Smoke. Also all the Chelsea places are within spitting distance of MSG, so you could do Grand Sichuan or whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 months later...

i am looking for a GRET restaurant in the theatre district. husband and i going to show on a week night and are having dinner first. an evening in the city w/o child is very precious to us. i would like to be able to walk from dinner to the show. 20 min or a bit more is not a big deal

If you are looking for a change of pace, I would recommend Russian Samovar at 256 W. 52nd Street. They make their own flavored vodkas, which are great if you don't drink too many before the show. Also some good Georgian lamb dishes and other more traditional fare (blini, beef stroganoff, etc.)

Le Bernardin is, of course, fabulous, however you would want to get there very early to make a show (it is so nice it is a shame to have to rush out.)

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Most of the top restaurants in the city are within 20 minutes of the theater district on foot. So the question I'd throw back is, assuming more than half the best restaurants in the city satisfy that requirement, and assuming there are a whole lot of candidates, what additional types of information (cuisine preferences, price range, current favorites, etc.) could we use to narrow the field?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Most of the top restaurants in the city are within 20 minutes of the theater district on foot. So the question I'd throw back is, assuming more than half the best restaurants in the city satisfy that requirement, and assuming there are a whole lot of candidates, what additional types of information (cuisine preferences, price range, current favorites, etc.) could we use to narrow the field?

my best meal EVER was the tasting at jean-george. i want to look at the menu see unusual combinations. there is very little i dont like except for korean and i think it due to lack of knowlege. love thai, japanese, french. has anyone been to atelier at the ritz-carlton on cps.

• 5 weeks later...

pre-theater....wonderful meal...atmosphere...atmosphere....

OK, I live in Tennessee and any meal will be wonderful....my annual trips to NY in December revolve around wonderful food and theater....

I've been to Aquavit (6 years or so ago) my wife has not...I tend to agree you're probably right about do a real dinner rather than pre-theater....

Lattanzi comes from my visit to Trastevere years ago on the upper East side...the small Italian was one of my most memroable visits to NY dining....atmosphere was amazing...

We're doing the Park Ave. Cafe Kitchen table earlier in the week...

Thanks for any input........

I know I've said this before but I think The Sea Grill overlooking the skating rink at Rockefeller Center is a great place to go in early December. Only a few blocks from most of the theaters. Wonderful seafood in a great setting. I think it is one of the most underrated and overlooked restaurants in NY. I know they boost the prices around holiday time so find out before you book.

I've eaten at Lattanzi and was not impressed.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Nobody has yet said anything about ILO, so here goes. I had dinner there once during the summer of 2002. Considering all the raves it had garnered, I went in with what I suppose were extremely high expectations. The space at the rear of a large lounge area is very contemporary in decor, not particularly large, and quite comfortable. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, and service was exemplary. As for the food, I have to say that I left feeling let down. It was expensive, but I have no problem with paying a lot for excellent food. Though the food at ILO was certainly very good, I felt that, for that kind of money, I had had meals at other restaurants that were far more stellar.

I have never been one to refrain from going to a restaurant just because someone else didn't like it. After all, when it comes to food, chacun a son gout. :biggrin: So, perhaps, you should try ILO and decide for yourself.

Now that that's taken care of, my recommendations for Theater District dining are dbBistro Moderne and Town. In case you don't know, db is Daniel Boulud's take on bistro cuisine. The food is terrific and, though much more expensive than your average French bistro, not nearly as costly as his eponymous temple of haute cuisine. Town has superb New American cuisine, and the unusual subterranean dining room is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Expensive, but worth it! :smile:

Atelier used to have a tempting pre-theater...they offered their quail praline w/o the foie and the salmon in champagne sauce among a couple of other choices. anyone know if they still have a pre?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

i love barbetta.  good food and soooooo sooooooo lovely. italian

Where is it? What kind of prices, and are there dishes you especially recommend there?

Michael aka "Pan"