• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

Dammit, Corinna, now you tell me about Fayruz!

I've been wanting to go there for ages but had been discouraged by the lack of anybody at all there...

And now I'm LEAVING.  TOMORROW.  I'm disgusted.  Will have to go somewhere fabulous in London to compensate.

I think you'll find some good shawarma places on the Edgeware Road, there's probably even a thread somewhere.

I have a feeling that you're not going to miss the Dublin gastro scene at all once you start tucking into all of the exciting places in London. Best of luck!

" Hibiscus hasn't been the same since they had the baby. Won't get a 3rd star. "

I would be very interested to know what you base this theory on and how you come to such a bizarre conclusion?

UP:

L'enclume  2*

Anthony's 1*

Sat Bains 2*

Midsummer House 3*

Mint (Dublin) 1*

DOWN:

Fat Duck 2*

Locatelli's 0*

Gordon Ramsey2*

L'ecrivain 0*

Yes, yes, I like an outside bet  :rolleyes:

RDB, like Simon, I think it is too soon for Mint, but if should be well on track for next year.

I'm very interested in your L'Ecrivain prediction. I agree, I think it has "starting to lose its gloss" written all over it. In fact, they were lucky to get a star in the first place with the bathroom facilities (way too small, a bit of nice soap please) and desserts - which have never been their strong point - are just plain boring at this stage. Also the service can be abysmal, although well-known critics and journos are quickly spotted and treated with kid gloves. Derry and Sallyanne Clarke are obviously very nice people, but this is just not a place for the common man without an expense account, so an inspector could well have had a ho-hum experience on a visit. That said, they may be reluctant to take away one of the few stars in the city.

I expect Chapter One to be ignored completely again, and this actually makes the place cooler for it.

Dax might get a Bib, I think they could be in there on the price threshold. Oliver would be well known to them from his time in Thornton's and they got rid of the bad table by the ladies bathroom. A few new places like The Winding Stair merit a Bib, but it would have opened too late in the year, and anyway, they probably won't "get it".

The best new restaurant in Dublin this year was Fayruz in Middle Abbey Street, a proper shawarma joint, but obviously not a Michelin contender!!!

How could I forget... L'Gueuleton, should be well in line for a Bib. I don't expect it will change much now that Troy Maguire has left.

It will be very interesting to see what Troy Maguire does at Lockes in Portobello. The plans are for a price-point between L'Gueuleton and Lockes, using loads of the fresh, local and seasonal stuff, plenty of artisan producers, scallops, rare breed pigs etc. He's spending the month of January sourcing top produce around the country. One to watch.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

How could I forget...  L'Gueuleton, should be well in line for a Bib.

Duh! How could I forget L'Gueuleton -- the most obvious bib in the city. Interesting news about Lock's too, Corinna. I have always wanted to like that restaurant, and if your post above is anything to go by, it will definitely be one to watch.

Now you're probably be a more astute diner than I, but anytime I'm in Dax I spend something more akin to one-star money rather than bib! Still, I'll be there on Saturday so I'll see what I think...

Si

How could I forget...  L'Gueuleton, should be well in line for a Bib.

Now you're probably be a more astute diner than I, but anytime I'm in Dax I spend something more akin to one-star money rather than bib! Still, I'll be there on Saturday so I'll see what I think...

Aaah... those wonderful deep pockets of yours. I think you'll find the winelist way too tempting to get out of there at Bib level. We await your report!

Aaah... those wonderful deep pockets of yours.  I think you'll find the winelist way too tempting to get out of there at Bib level.  We await your report!

The pockets may be deep, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find any money in them!

I've already been perusing the wine list online, and yes, I think I'll struggle to get out at any kind of sensible level. Plus, for a change we'll be part of a six-some, and that nearly always leads to some kind of silliness. I will, of course, let you know how we get on.

Si

Is this place the cheapest to get The Guide?

£11.99

I think so, but much to my disgust as a long-time Play customer they'll only deliver to the UK.

Si

ETA: You'll also note that both there and at amazon, the release date is listed as Jan 24th. Granted it says the 26th on the Michelin site.

Si

Edited by Simon_S (log)

We talk about it alot, especialy this time of year, but who actually buys it? I  do most years, but then i'm in it  :smile:

hasn't morgan meunier got a stack of them in his dining room?

and the point is he isn't (or wasn't) in it

has he got his * yet? if not he should be a tip for * given his status (shared with andrew turner of the bentley) as Most Underacknowledged Posh Chef in London

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

We talk about it alot, especialy this time of year, but who actually buys it? I  do most years, but then i'm in it  :smile:

Good Point! I did buy one a few years back, was thinking about it this year, but then again......

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

just renewed my membership to egullet...Michelin 2007 - press release with all the stars and espoirs either jan 23 or jan 24 on www.michelin.co.uk

No idea who'll get new entries, promoted or demoted. I guess arbutus and vineyard but otherwise?

I'd also imagine any promotions to the ** or *** would go through the espoir stage first?

Looking forward to it...as always. :smile:

Blimey! Where you been?

Realistically who would be promoted to 3 stars? The only place I can think of at the moment might be Champignon Sauvage following their refit (I haven't eaten there).

What about demotions? Any predictions for those?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

given his status (shared with andrew turner of the bentley) as Most Underacknowledged Posh Chef in London

I think Andrew Turner's left to go here.

Oh cheers for that Scott. Had completely missed that one. Probably explains by Bentley wasn't listed in this yrs Time Out Guide which I was puzzling over.

Looks like get fed up of dishing up tasty, well executed, reasonably priced degustation menus and not getting any recognition and upped sticks. A shame, London's loss is Baghot's gain.

Given it doesn't look like Pennyhill Park has got a macaron, I'd tip them for one too this yr now...

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

If the announcement of some new AA rosettes today (click here for details) has any Golden Globe like bearing on what we can expect from the Michelin Oscars then in London, The Square will get 3 stars, La Noisette, Roka, Arbutus and Robuchon will get 1 star each and in the provinces Linthwaite House in the Lake District and Sienna in Dorchester will also get a star.

It always seems to be the week before Michelin, to try and "steal a march" so to speak...BUT they always say that every guide is out of date the day after its released, so perhaps they are just trying to keep it all as up to date as possible......not!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

If the announcement of some new AA rosettes today (click here for details) has any Golden Globe like bearing on what we can expect from the Michelin Oscars then in London, The Square will get 3 stars, La Noisette, Roka, Arbutus and Robuchon will get 1 star each and in the provinces Linthwaite House in the Lake District and Sienna in Dorchester will also get a star.

I don't follow your logic. Surely 3 rosettes = 1 star, 4 rosettes = 2 star (actually somewhere between 1 and 2 star, there are 26 4 rosette restaurants in GB & Ireland) and 5 rosettes=3 star.

Edited by IanT (log)

I haven't applied a strict like for like logic as if 5 rosettes really did equal 3 stars then Petrus and Foliage would have had 3 stars for ages. The Square has held two Michelin stars and 3 AA rosettes for ages and if the AA have noted an improvement, Michelin may also have noted the same and decided to promote. I suppose if we're trying to retain an interal logic then rising 2 star would be the equivilent of 4 AA rosettes.