• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit vinegar drinks

helenjp

This has been a great year for berries in general, and I have picked lots of elderberries. I crushed 2 litres lightly then covered with cider vinegar. Cooked them a little to remove any cyanide. After a week or so I strained them and added some honey. I now have a delicious refreshing drink, when diluted, and a great winter tonic.

Helen? the woman who wrote and lived the Little House on the Prairie series of books and tv shows, Laura Ingalls Wilder used to take her Pa "vinegar-ade" while he was out on the fields farming in the early 1800s

Lemonade was rare in those days.

When I was at the Asian market on Sunday they had a boxed set of fruity vinegars for drinking.

They look like this http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=880105201127

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone venturing into making fruit vinegars (Shrubs) with their farmers' market bounties? I am dipping my toes into this particular pool. Starting out with a black currant shrub and a blackberry shrub. Both are macerating in the refrigerator.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmm black currant sounds fantastic. I made a plum shrub this year, and it seemed pretty good, although truthfully I don't know how to judge it. I couldn't decide how best I liked it. Ultimately I threw it into a rhubarb compote for a little extra liquid, and that seemed pretty good, but how could rhubarb be bad? What are you planning?

Mmm black currant sounds fantastic. I made a plum shrub this year, and it seemed pretty good, although truthfully I don't know how to judge it. I couldn't decide how best I liked it. Ultimately I threw it into a rhubarb compote for a little extra liquid, and that seemed pretty good, but how could rhubarb be bad? What are you planning?

Really just refreshing drinks alcoholic or otherwise. I don't like juice, pop, tea, milk or anything else that I could reasonably drink and stay sober. So initially I hope to add some to soda water but I would also like to explore some cocktails that use shrubs. I am totally new to the whole thing. I have the book Shrubs by Dietsch and I've explored eG. I was quite stunned it today to see black, red and white currants in my grocery store!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog