• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sides for Perfect Steaks on the Grill

The weather is getting absolutely beautiful here in San Francisco and the recent acquisition of a charcoal grill has had Kevin and I cooking on our balcony far more than our kitchen.

When it is just us, we are happy grilling a mushroom or a hunk of braised fennel to accompany our carnivorous feast. But we are going to start entertaining clients and I'd like to establish some tried-and-true, kick-ass side dishes that I can begin to rely upon.

Twice-baked potatoes are certainly in the running, but let's hear some suggestions of other courses to accompany a great steak that will wow my guests!

For burgers and sausages on the grill this weekend, I made some quick refrigerator pickles and a red cabbage slaw that is a reconstructed version of a side dish at Al Forno here in Providence: blanch some thinly sliced red cabbage in boiling salted water for three or four minutes and then cool it in ice water; squeeze out all of the water from the cabbage in a clean towel, then add a few Ts of olive oil, a few Ts of vinegar (a combination of cider, rice, and raspberry works well), some salt, sugar, and some black and white pepper. The vinegar turns the cabbage a neon purple color, and the slaw gets better over the next few days in the fridge.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

for the first bit of spring grilling, I like grilled or roasted asparagus with a little lemon and olive oil. I'm also fond of spring artichokes with steaks, though I think that's just cause I'm fond of artichokes in general.

If I'm roasting the asparagus, I may toss a few roasted potatoes with a quick dijon sauce, or roasted carrots.

When those aren't in season, but tomatoes are, nothing is better than sliced ripe tomatoes with salt and pepper and maybe a little vinagrette. And grilled corn on the cob. Best summer meal ever.

It may be a bit simple, but I love corn on the grill. I take off the husks, slather it with melted butter, and throw it right on before the steaks (I have a small grill). Turn, baste. It gives the corn such a nice smoky flavor. :wub:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I really liked grilling plums and figs when they were in season last year........topping with some goat cheese and honey  :wub:

Ah, you are speaking my language! I am leaning towards a compound butter of Blue Cheese, but perhaps some goat cheese wrapped in fresh grape leaves on the grill is a way to go with the fruit!

I'd serve tomatoes to guests but are allergic to them myself...

Not quite corn season here but will look forward to them soon.

I have actually decided to purchase a baby fryer and make frites for tomorrow night's dinner.

I love brushetta on the grill. Not too complicated because you have to flip it but just some good olive oil and sea salt. Maybe brush with a garlic clove after. Actually I especially like this over an open camp fire, but charcoal is pretty close.

Bode

Definately a compound butter of bleu cheese or a garlic herb compound butter. Baked potatoes rubbed in olive oil and kosher salt, done on the grill. Darn near any vegetable is good grilled. Peppers, corn, asparagus. Grilled peaches. Simple coleslaw works really well. Fine Cooking has a pretty decent recipe for oven fries if you don't deep fry. Grilled shrimp to top a filet is often nice.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I love a salad of ripe tomatoes and basil with olive oil (and a pinch of oregano) to accompany a grilled steak. In fact, I like to make it an hour ahead and let it do its thing (I put a little salt on the tomatoes), and personally, I love some of the oil/juice from the salad spooned right over the grilled steak.

You can also add sliced red or some other good onion to this - raw onion doesn't agree with me, so I leave it out, but adding just a teeny slivered bit of it does make it even more wonderful on the grilled meat.

And while I love Bearnaise, it's somehow not my favorite thing to stand up to a char grilled steak. However, if you make it with a good balsamic vinegar, you get a brown Bearnaise which goes a little nicer.

And I think corn is a must.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I like to carmelize a LOT of sliced onions in butter with some brown sugar, and then add already cooked (and cooled) sliced Idaho potatoes, with a LOT of fresh chopped Rosemary and S&P of course! Yum!

I also like to remove bottom medallions from some freshly steamed Artichokes, mix a little fresh crabmeat in with the bearnaise sauce (that another poster suggested) and serve on the artichoke bottom medallions. Yum!

I also like fresh green snap beans mixed with butter sauteed fresh portabellas with fresh squeezed lemon juice, freshly grated parmesan cheese, freshly grated nutmeg and S&P of course. Yum!

doc

Speaking of brushetta, how about grilled flatbread? Some melted goat cheese on top (or some of that bleu cheese to complement the steak)...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

This time of year, I love to grill aspargus with steak. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and lay it on the "off" side of the grill, so it heats indirectly. In anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on stalk thickness, it's done.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My absolute favorites are corn on the cob and a tomato-and-onion salad with grilled country bread to sop up the steak and tomato juices.

Also luuuv grilled radiccio.

If you don't mind non-grill cooking, onion rings! And fries with lots of salt and parsley.

I'll never turn down Bearnaise.

Not quite on topic but if you use a spice rub on the steak that has dried chilis, chocolate, coffee and salt, try a side of pinto beans ("la charra," or something similar, this gringa apologizes for her lack of Spanish) and FRESH FLOUR TORTILLAS, and oh that's some good eatin'.

What's time's dinner? :raz:

edited because I forgot to mention the grating of cotija cheese on top of the beans.

Edited by ingridsf (log)

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

It may be a bit simple, but I love corn on the grill.  I take off the husks, slather it with melted butter, and throw it right on before the steaks (I have a small grill).  Turn, baste.  It gives the corn such a nice smoky flavor.  :wub:

Second the grilled corn. Hit it with a shot of fresh lime juice also.

I like grilling portabello mushrooms with a little viniagrette with a touch of balsamic vinegar. Finish with a little gorgonzola dolce and toasted pine nuts.

I also like to cook whole peeled sweet onions in the oven until they start to soften. Cut a cone shaped hole in the root end and add what you like (butter, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce) before you put them in the oven. After an hour or so at 350, cut them into thick slices and finish on the grill with some more of your chosen marinade.

Another vote for radicchio (pref Treviso). And fennel.

I love cut romaine in half lengthwise (but leave the heart intact on each half, to hold it together) and grill it gently, then make a caesar with it. Or just serve it simply dressed. Grilling really turns it into a whole different food.

Later when the ingredients are ready, a ratatouille with grilled ingredients is tough to beat.

And fruit kebabs (as mentioned, figs, dates, grilled pineapple is great).

Edited to add: avocado (can't believe I left that out :shock:)

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Second the grilled corn.  Hit it with a shot of fresh lime juice also.

I see your grilled corn, butter, lime juice, and raise you a dash of paprika and cayenne. :smile:

Go to a Mexican grocery store and buy a jar of Picon seasoning. It's citrusy and spicy and the same time and what they sprinkle on elotes.

It's also good for rimming a Bloody Mary glass... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If you're looking for a sauce to go with the steaks, a red wine-port reduction works beautifully with grilled beef.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The classics from our steakhouse are creamed spinach, grilled beefsteak tomatos with balsamic, and herbs, spicy sauteed mushrooms, and Lyonaisse potatos ( pot, onions carmalized in butter, and duck fat combined and fryed up).

The 3 cheese sauce at the Keg is another hit with the baker and steak.

Ofcourse Ozzy Osbourne needs nothing with his well done Porterhouse.

I agree with the grilled asparagus. My brother makes a homemade Italian dressing and lets the asparagus marinate in it, then grills them until done. Very good.

This past weekend on his PBS series "BBQ U", Steven Raichlen simply grilled some green onions and jalapeños for topping Tex-Mex flatiron steaks.

"Show 402: The New Face of Beef"

Here's the recipe section of his show for more ideas.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Grilled zucchini (the little ones; not the overgrown ones approaching the size of a loaf of bread that seem to be prevalent in August) . The only problem is that my kids love it so much I am hard pressed to find enough grill space for meat and zucchini! Olive oil, salt and pepper before grilling.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm with Ronnie on the grilled asparagus. Love that. I really like grilled sweet potatos. Par cooked for a while, than splashed with olive oil and grilled to crispy on the outside. As soon as they come off hit them with some sea salt and lots of cracked pepper. Or some Old Bay or cayanne pepper.

Really my favorite side on the grill.

Like sweet onions halved and grilled with steak as well