• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Bed ... ideal or just plain crumby?

Inspiration courtesy of Epicurious.com

We have a Mega-thread on Breakfast full of yummy ideas and photos ... and we have a thread on Bed and Breakfasts ..

So, now comes: Eating and/or serving Breakfasts in Bed ...

Like it or hate it? :rolleyes:

Do you make them for others?

Is it too messy for you to deal with as the donor or the recipient? :sad:

Favorite things you desire to be served to you? :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever served anybody breakfast in bed, nor had it served to me. I'm not at all sure why. Certainly I've had people in my life over the years who would have inspired such a gesture ... hmm, I think I never did it for my most recent ex because she was such an extreme morning person that she was already out of bed for hours before I stirred, and she never did it for me because in those days I was so intensely not a morning person that me personally toddling out of bed to the coffeemaker was an essential step in rousing me from the hibernating state. Plus growing up in my family, a celebratory breakfast required the entire dinette tabletop on which to spread it out. :biggrin:

But I wouldn't mind at all giving or receiving a breakfast in bed. As far as I'm concerned, crumbs would be part of the charm ... and also avoidable with the right precautions.

As to what I'd want served to me in bed: probably the same thing as my idea of a celebratory breakfast in general: either really good bagels and lox with all the fixings, or a big beautiful omelette filled with way too much yummy stuff.

Ohhh... I don't like having it served to me. I'm one of those people that has to eat at a table. I love making it for other people tho'. The breakfast in bed tray might as well be another gadget for me to play with. It also gives you an excuse to garnish or use a pretty napkin or a cute bud vase. Fun.

:blink: Did I just sound like Sandra Lee there? :blink: I'm not talkin' "tray-scapes" here folks... just a nice good morning. :raz:

I absolutely love the concept of breakfast in bed, but am not crazy about the actual act. Namely...the resultant crumbs or food particles that will fall in my bed. I'm very particular about not allowing food in my bedroom, for fear of unwanted visitors.

But if we were away from home, that would be a different story. 'Tis my dream to have breakfast in bed, and my husband said that we can do so on our honeymoon. Until we saw the room service rates....$16 for two eggs?! My practical side got the better of me. There's always next time. I think we saw a B&B that serves BIB!! I'll have eggs benedict, fresh-squeezed OJ, a good cup of coffee, and of course...a rose :wink:.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Breakfast in bed is yukky.

Coffee in bed, however, is sublime. :wub: And if you've got the Sunday NY Times crossword puzzle to go along with it, well, that's a little piece of heaven right there.

And when you finish the puzzle you get up, get dressed, and GO OUT for breakfast! :smile:

No breakfast in bed for me. Breakfast in bed is for hospitals.

Just the idea of trying to eat bread in my flotation bed is ridiculous because one can't sit in a comfortable eating position.

Give me a table on the terrace. Fresh brewed dark roast coffee and some scones. Champagne and strawberries would be a nice touch.

Nope. Not in bed. The idea is nice but the actual execution isn't all that comfortable. When I was traveling a lot on business, mostly alone, room service breakfast was a treat that I often enjoyed. A couple of times, a bed tray was an option and I tried it. I ended up moving the whole shebang out to the balconey one time and to the little table the other.

But, there is something decadent about being served a lovely breakfast while still in robe and slippers. And, I like to go over the top . . . Eggs Benedict or something like it, lovely breads, fruit, coffee, juice (or a mimosa if not a work day). I indulge myself with breakfast when traveling. It is my favorite meal and I often pretty much skip dinner.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I love the concept of Breakfast in Bed. But I really don't like the reality.

I prefer to be up, showered and at a table for my breakfast. Or in my jammies and messy but by my self. Breakfast in bed might be okay IF I had advanced warning and could shower and be clean first.

But the perfect menu would include a fruit cup and some form of Hash Browns. And a light puffy omelette. And french press coffee or my own pot of tea.

A funny story..

My mom finally confessed to me on a recent Mother's Day that she always hated one of my childhood habits. I always made breakfast in bed for her on "her" day.... She hated it because I'd serve her my creation, then join my dad and brother at the family table to feed the rest of us. She could hear us laughing and talking and felt positively lonely! :sad:

She never said anything about it because she knew I tried so hard (the meals got increasingly complicated as I grew older) and I was always so proud of my efforts. (Awwwwww)

That Mothers Day, I gave her a very expensive gift certificate FOR TWO to take my Dad to the Sunday Brunch at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Nigel, California. It included a Saturday night stay. It's really a beautiful place.

I love the fact she but up with this ritual just for me!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I used to serve my parents breakfast in bed when I was a kid. I distinctly remember thinking myself quite a pro in the kitchen when I whipped up some fresh peach "jam" (basically just mashed up peaches, sugar, and a squeeze of lemon) to serve with Eggo waffles. I also mixed the maple syrup with the butter to make "maple butter". I had a little vase filled with a flower from the garden too! :laugh:

(I think I must've been in grade 3 at the time. :smile: )

My parents thought it was cute, but they told me (years later) how they'd hear me banging around in the kitchen and have to wait in bed and pretend to be asleep so I could "surprise" them.

I made my ex breakfast in bed all the time (no Eggo waffles or peach jam, I promise.) I would much rather eat at the table, though. Kind of hard juggling all that food in bed.

I think there is only one good way to do breakfast in bed. In a hotel with a massive King-sized bed, with another person, only one tray. A flower is a nice touch, but you should put it on the bedside table before getting yourself set up in bed with the tray. Whenever all that stuff gets awkward, you either give the tray to the other person or get them to help you adjust. It is better if it is your birthday or something, because tray-duties are automatically stacked in your favour. When you're finished eating, you are allowed to get up and forget about the crumbs.

I've only done this once, but I've been dreaming about the day it will happen again ever since.

I prefer to sit upright when I eat, and there's just no way to do that in bed - no matter how many pillows I use or how I wedge them in, I always end up tilting backwards at an awkward angle. It makes eating rather difficult.

I also don't like eating in my bathrobe - the sleeves always end up being dragged through the food. And that unwashed feeling first thing in the morning does not enhance the experience.

I'd rather get up, shower, get dressed, and then have a nice breakfast all prepared for me, or go out to a nice breakfast.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I've never had breakfast in bed. I have served it several times, however. My son in particular loves it. My daughter just wants drinks and maybe fruit. Both of my ex-husbands thought I should go all out and do it more often. None of those people have ever done that for me though. I have always ended up fixing breakfast so I never really thought about getting it... Maybe it's timefor a weekend away so I can try that.

Every Saturday and Sunday after I take the dogs out I bring coffee and the paper back to bed for my wife and me. Sometimes, I will bring a muffin or danish if we have anything in the house, or a bowl of oatmeal if I make it. It is nice but I don't do anything too elaborate. During the week we leave for work together, but this morning I had to go early for a dentist appointment. I made her a pot of tea to have with the paper as she had an hour or more to go after I left.

Every Saturday and Sunday after I take the dogs out I bring coffee and the paper back to bed for my wife and me.  Sometimes, I will bring a muffin or danish if we have anything in the house, or a bowl of oatmeal if I make it.  It is nice but I don't do anything too elaborate.  During the week we leave for work together, but this morning I had to go early for a dentist appointment.  I made her a pot of tea to have with the paper as she had an hour or more to go after I left.

Awww...so sweet of you! I'm sure your wife appreciates that very much! :smile:

Yes, I have made breakfast in bed for both my (ex)wives and a number of my girlfriends.

My speciality has been (surprise) an oyster omlette know as a "Hangtown Fry."

I would bread and fry the oysters and fold them into the eggs.

Orange juice, sourdough toast, homemade jam and butter.

I agree that juggling plates while in bed is not easy and mostly messy.

The weird thing is, I have never eaten breakfast in bed.

I just end up making it and I think it is mainly because I like to have at least one kitchen that is all mine and I don't have to share it like at work. :raz:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Huh. :blink: I love having breakfast in bed...and I'm a neat freak, otherwise. Usually, it's nothing fancy-- toast and coffee, bagels and fruit, etc. I think I like it because I dislike morning intensely, and any way to avoid really getting up sounds good to me. :biggrin: That said, breakfasts in bed involving silverware would be way beyond my capacities both as cook and diner.