• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Spices

RonC

Sigh ... We have somewhere between 60 and 70 spices and seem to constantly face the issue of how to store them so they're useful; i.e., easy to find and get to. Our kitchen is fairly modest and we don't have a pantry. We've tried the carrousel (too small) and a couple of those 3-step gizmos (too tough to get at those at the back). What do you do? How effective is your storage?

Much thanks,

Sidecar Ron

A few years ago, when I worked at Dean & Deluca, I used my employee discount to purchase both their Test Tube Spice Rack and their spices in tins. I couldn't get links to the exact products to work, but this is a good place to start - click on "Herbs and Spices."

The tins are wonderful spice keepers; I think the product stays fresher in them, and they certainly are easy to sink a measuring spoon into. Due to an unfortunate incident that involved large amounts of water spraying all over the kitchen, some of them are now rusted, but are being replaced one by one. The only downside, is that sometimes getting the lids off and on can be a challenge.

The tubes are easier to use than I had thought they would be. But I keep them in the cabinet, so that light will not destroy the contents, and I forget to use them. So time and age destroy the contents. :sad: The solution, of course, is to do so much cooking that the spices and herbs can sit out on the counter and be gorgeous, and light doesn't get an opportunity to destroy them. :smile:

Ta da!

gallery_6903_111_19646.jpg

But with 70 spices I would expect my 'fridge to topple over. :unsure:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Let's see ... how tall a tower could I build with 60 spices/herbs????

Sidecar Ron

:hmmm: I really should, if only I would, find some better place to store my spices ... a new group of spices arrived last week from ordering online ...

gallery_10011_1589_76690.jpg

Anna, I looked at your picture before I read your comment. My mind was going down the same path -- wondering what the fridge would look like with 60 spice jars attached.

Sidecar Ron

Ta da!

But with 70 spices I would expect my 'fridge to topple over.   :unsure:

Edited by RonC (log)

Here's my latest thinkin'. We bought a couple of IKEA Nygard buffets that are going in the kitchen to house miscellaneous seldom-used stuff and cat food. They have drawers in the top and I'm thinking that we may lie the spice bottles down in these drawers. My Monday plan is to assemble the buffets and see if it works. By the way, how does IKEA make a product like this for just $129???

Sidecar Ron

PS: Someone asked about the picture. That's Luke on the bike (I'm invisible in the sidecar). Because of his severe autism, Luke can't really ride it, but he sure enjoys sitting there!

Edited by RonC (log)

This is a problem for me too. The magnetized containers are really cute but I have way too many for my fridge and it is in a cumbersome place. It's bad enough to have to go across the room to get something out of it but it would drive me up the wall trying to go over there every time I needed a spice, too.

I have one cupboard dedicated to seasonings and a shelf in the pantry has Oriental seasonings. As long as no one moves anything to another shelf everything is usually OK but it does seem that I spend a lot of time digging for things that have gotten shoved to the back.

I also use a LOT of different spices.

My kitchen is pretty minimalistic - everything was put together by me and my husband, and on the cheap. On one wall is an Ikea bookshelf, about 6 feet high, that's used for storing things in constant use. It's mostly spices. Almost all the spices are in square stackable tupperware containers about three or four inches on each side. Some are taller, and some are shorter. (I think I also bought these at Ikea, something like a set of 50 pieces for some insanely low price like six dollars?) that are stacked on top of one another. I've seen the same type of containers labelled as freezer containers.

The shape and size of the containers means that they stack easily without toppling over, and the largeness of the containers means that it is easy to shove a spoon in there to get at the spices, it's easy to refill the containers when you buy fresh stuff (usually I buy loose stuff by weight, so it has to be refilled into some type of container anyway), and they are big enough to contain enough when it comes to the spices you go through at a really rapid pace. For spices that are not immediately recognizable by shape or color, I have a little label stuck on the front of the container.

Because bookshelves tend not to be very deep, this works really well. I have one row of these stacks of containers at the back, and in front of them one single row of smaller containers of the stuff that gets used even more often. These don't come up high enough to obscure the labels of the containers at the back.

Of course, in an ideal world, I would be storing the spices in glass or metal rather than plastic containers, but turnover is fast enough that I don't really think it makes a difference to the taste.

I've seen people use the solution of having the spices in a drawer that you're thinking of. If your drawers are tall enough, try keeping the bottles upright in it and putting your own label on the top of the jars, you'll fit a lot more in that way, and somehow, it gives a neater overall effect.

I think I have found my solution. Now all I have to find is the crates.

My sister found some bread delivery crates or I guess you could call them trays. They are designed to stack. The ones she found she uses for paperback books. The depth is just right to pack the books in standing up with the spine up so that you can see what you have. I am looking for something similar but a little shallower so that the various jars and bottles can lay on their sides, I can see the original labels (no adding labels needed) and they stack on a shelf in the pantry. I have a bunch of these that I am using for stacking storage in the end of my dining area in this apartment. The smaller spices are a nightmare to dig out. Think something like this but about 4 inches high. (Heh . . . This apartment is getting to be a big storage space with furniture. As it gets worse, I get closer to building the house.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I think that spices get sold in inconvenient containers and in too large quantities.

I miss having readily available bulk herbs and spices like I got used to in Texas at Central Market. If I needed two tablespoons of dried marjorum, I could go and get exactly that, and it cost maybe 75 cents.

Freshness is so important in spices that it seems a waste to buy a big jar of something that is only going to get worse with time.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

. . . . .

And they even bring up the refrigerator as an option which I had never considered ...  :huh:

Actually, I keep a few things in the freezer. All of my chile powders go in there. There is something about chile that attracts those loathsome moths from the other side of the galaxy. I also put kaffir lime leaves and fresh bay leaves in there in glass jars when I have raided some trees I know. They eventually "dry," actually the water in the leaves sublimes and forms ice crystals that I knock out of the jar, but keep their flavor wonderfully.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Boy, couldn't agree more -- but sadly we don't have a near-by source for buying smal quantities. We write the purchase date on the bottles and then pitch them when we think they're getting too old.

Sidecar Ron

I think that spices get sold in inconvenient containers and in too large quantities. 

I miss having readily available bulk herbs and spices like I got used to in Texas at Central Market.  If I needed two tablespoons of dried marjorum, I could go and get exactly that, and it cost maybe 75 cents. 

Freshness is so important in spices that it seems a waste to buy a big jar of something that is only going to get worse with time.

I'm anxious to get these put together. My memory is that they're not deep enough for the bottles to stand -- but maybe my ol' memorier is failing again.

Sidecar Ron

I also use a LOT of different  spices.

My kitchen is pretty minimalistic - everything was put together by me and my husband, and on the cheap. On one wall is an Ikea bookshelf, about 6 feet high, that's used for storing things in constant use. It's mostly spices. Almost all the spices are in square stackable tupperware containers about three or four inches on each side. Some are taller, and some are shorter. (I think I also bought these at Ikea, something like a set of 50 pieces for some insanely low price like six dollars?) that are stacked on top of one another. I've seen the same type of containers labelled as freezer containers.

The shape and size of the containers means that they stack easily without toppling over, and the largeness of the containers means that it is easy to shove a spoon in there to get at the spices, it's easy to refill the containers when you buy fresh stuff (usually I buy loose stuff by weight, so it has to be refilled into some type of container anyway), and they are big enough to contain enough when it comes to the spices you go through at a really rapid pace. For spices that are not immediately recognizable by shape or color, I have a little label stuck on the front of the container.

Because bookshelves tend not to be very deep, this works really well. I have one row of these stacks of containers at the back, and in front of them one single row of smaller containers of the stuff that gets used even more often. These don't come up high enough to obscure the labels of the containers at the back.

Of course, in an ideal world, I would be storing the spices in glass or metal rather than plastic containers, but turnover is fast enough that I don't really think it makes a difference to the taste.

I've seen people use the solution of having the spices in a drawer that you're thinking of. If your drawers are tall enough, try keeping the bottles upright in it and putting your own label on the top of the jars, you'll fit a lot more in that way, and somehow, it gives a neater overall effect.

guide to storing spices has some important considerations: controlling light, humidity, and oxygen.

And they even bring up the refrigerator as an option which I had never considered ...  :huh:

I'm glad you found that for it makes me feel slightly more sane than usual.

All my herbs and spices live in the fridge.

Yes, it does get crowded.

But the freshness factor is much improved over leaving them "out", I've found, through experience.

I, too, have over 60 spices. And the differing quantities I buy of each makes storing them very tricky. There's no way I could store all my spices in my kitchen.

Just like I have a storage area in the basement for infrequently used kitchen tools, I have a similar area for infrequently used spices. If I store them in glass jars, I get a decent amount of lifespan from them.

I don't resonate with the fridge concept. The only way my spices would fit in the fridge would be in plastic bags. Plastic bags are way too air permeable. With fridge odors and air permeable bags, my spices/herbs would be serious odor collectors. Not good.

Frequent use/Short term storage - in a cupboard in small glass bottles or, if I have to, plastic bottles.

Infrequent/Long term - in glass in a cool dry place (my basement)

I, too, have over 60 spices. And the differing quantities I buy of each makes storing them very tricky. There's no way I could store all my spices in my kitchen.

Just like I have a storage area in the basement for infrequently used kitchen tools, I have a similar area for infrequently used spices. If I store them in glass jars, I get a decent amount of lifespan from them.

I don't resonate with the fridge concept.  The only way my spices would fit in the fridge would be in plastic bags. Plastic bags are way too air permeable. With fridge odors and air permeable bags, my spices/herbs would be serious odor collectors. Not good.

Frequent use/Short term storage - in a cupboard in small glass bottles or, if I have to, plastic bottles.

Infrequent/Long term - in glass in a cool dry place (my basement)

You have the right idea. Plastic is never a good choice for long term storage. And, the aroma migration goes both ways. Just ask my sister about dill flavored ice cream. :laugh: I am pretty sure that the Penzey's folk expect us to transfer our "stuff" to jars. I find that wide mouth canning jars have infinite uses. One of those is for spice storage. And, they are relatively inexpensive.

One thing about a cool place . . . That can be problematic in my climate. I intend to set up my walk-in pantry with a honkin' big air conditioning vent for most of the year but having the facility for cutting off the heat during our brief winters.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Wal-Mart has lots of small plastic boxes with drawers. I keep all my spices in a three drawer office container meant to hold 8 x 11 inch paper. Each drawer will hold 12-16 cans or jars. The drawers don't shut out all of the light, but I keep it out of direct sunlight.

I'm considering keeping the seeds in the freezer, as they seem to get rancid before the other stuff goes off.

Similar to those bread trays are the ones which hold bedding plants at nurserys.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

... we may lie the spice bottles down in these drawers...

If the drawers are not deep enough to allow upright storage of your jars, perhaps the 'semi-recumbent' posture allowed by the drawer liners sold by Lee Valley might help. About thirty spice jars per drawer, if memory serves.

cheers

Derek

. . . . .

Similar to those bread trays are the ones which hold bedding plants at nurserys.

That is a good idea. I might eventually go that way. I am just still hoping to find something that is built to stack like the bread trays.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'm liking those racks from Dean and Deluca. I curently use the Tupperware spice containers which are stackable.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

An interesting "sidebar" on refrigerating spices which I had mentioned in my post upthread:

One should always refrigerate red-colored spices, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika to prevent loss of color and flavor. It also helps to avoid possible infestation of tiny insects. :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Anna, I looked at your picture before I read your comment. My mind was going down the same path -- wondering what the fridge would look like with 60 spice jars attached.

Sidecar Ron

Ta da!

But with 70 spices I would expect my 'fridge to topple over.  :unsure:

A great idea, but wouldn't you deal with the occasional catastrophe of one of those tins falling off the door while it was beeing open/closed? I can imagine myself cleaning some otherwise perfectly good spices off of my floor on many an occasion.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)